Plans for today (2024)

Hooray for Saturday. No work today or tomorrow. Well there shouldn’t be but no guarantees!
Have a food delivery coming 1-2pm, apparently so subs so thats good.

At least one son will be turning up today. So I’m planning a hearty sausage and lentil casserole, I’ve forked out for a couple of packets of ‘Merchant Gourmet’ lentils to make my life easier.
Also going to precook some bone on chicken breasts I got from the butchers yesterday because geeky me has been reading government temperature/time bacterial death graphs and how that is applied to cooking sous vide juicy chicken goodness 👍

Then I’m thinking some sort of mini mushroom pie as a little veg side dish to go with Sunday lunch tomorrow.
Not sure about the mushrooms. If anyones ever made a mushroom pie let me know, there’s so mush room for error 😬🤣

Then I’m thinking some sort of mini mushroom pie as a little veg side dish to go with Sunday lunch tomorrow.
Not sure about the mushrooms. If anyones ever made a mushroom pie let me know, there’s so mush room for error 😬🤣
I haven't cooked mushroom pie, but have cooked pies with mushrooms in them. In that case, I had to dry sauté, very minimal to no oil, to get rid of the excess liquid in them. Let them exude their liquid, and then let the liquid evaporate.

If you are going to make something like a roux to use as part of the pie liquid, then cook the mushrooms with some oil or butter, let them start to exude their liquid, add the flour to make the roux, then add the rest of your liquids, eggs, milk or cream, etc.

I haven't cooked mushroom pie, but have cooked pies with mushrooms in them. In that case, I had to dry sauté, very minimal to no oil, to get rid of the excess liquid in them. Let them exude their liquid, and then let the liquid evaporate.

If you are going to make something like a roux to use as part of the pie liquid, then cook the mushrooms with some oil or butter, let them start to exude their liquid, add the flour to make the roux, then add the rest of your liquids, eggs, milk or cream, etc.
Thanks.
Still undecided but thinking a creamy sauce. I’ll see how good the mushrooms look when they arrive.

Last edited:

As above. Mushrooms exude liquid so cook it out before adding them to the pie.

Cors the puff pastry then didn’t turn up with the shopping delivery so now there’s filling and no pie 😂
That’s where “…on toast” comes in. Just style it as “…tranche de pain grille,” and your gourmet credentials will remain intact - everything’s better in French! :wink:

Both sons would like Sunday lunch today so shortly I need to get busy roasting.

Kitchen needs a bit of a tidy before kick off though as I ended up with more than one dishwasher load yesterday and didn't fancy staying up to hand wash the rest.

I think maybe Mr SSOAP might be amenable to go to the supermarket and see if there's gluten free puff pastry back on the shelves, after all there is chocolate cake later..for the good people... 🤣

Finally finished weeding the bromeliads yesterday and the garden looks lovely, especially as the railings also got painted a lovely deep green.
I'm going to make some buttermilk pancakes in a bit, and then I'm probably going to do something vaguely Lebanese for lunch.
This afternoon, however, rumour has it my SIL is coming to visit. She's the only person I know who will drive me to drink after she's left. Even the dog slinks away when she arrives. I gotta get out of this place

Got most of the kitchen packed up last night...just the refrigerator to go and a few clothing/personal care items to pack (after showering and making a quick omelet). Then off to Birmingham, Alabama!

It's funny how my DH brags about how fast he packs in comparison to me. He packs his clothes, a toothbrush, razor, and antiperspirant. I do take a lot of clothes (especially for extreme variations in climates for lengthy trips across multiple regions) but when we are going by car to a resort with a kitchen, I'm also packing shelf stable food, seasonings and spices, refrigerated food, knives (resorts never have good knives), toothpaste, shampoo, conditioner...oh and travel food/snacks/water. This trip took a lot of preparation because we are traveling for a month.

Finally finished weeding the bromeliads yesterday and the garden looks lovely, especially as the railings also got painted a lovely deep green.
I'm going to make some buttermilk pancakes in a bit, and then I'm probably going to do something vaguely Lebanese for lunch.
This afternoon, however, rumour has it my SIL is coming to visit. She's the only person I know who will drive me to drink after she's left. Even the dog slinks away when she arrives. I gotta get out of this place
Groovy baby 😂

Back
Top Bottom