Plans for today (2024)

So the top one is Yutzey's?

At the grocery store last week smoked mesquite turkey was $10.99 lb. I like $6.99 lb. much, much better!
Yup, top one is Yutzey’s. One is literally seconds from the other, right down the same road.

There’s also a nice little butcher shop up a ways, and when we’re really adventurous, an even better butcher shop up near Delaware, Ohio. If we go that far, that makes for an all-day trip, though, so we don’t do that as often - I hate driving through/around Delaware.

Yup, top one is Yutzey’s. One is literally seconds from the other, right down the same road.

There’s also a nice little butcher shop up a ways, and when we’re really adventurous, an even better butcher shop up near Delaware, Ohio. If we go that far, that makes for an all-day trip, though, so we don’t do that as often - I hate driving through/around Delaware.

It doesn't appear I will be going that way anytime soon, either.

1719695962883.png

This is more my idea of a day trip:

1719696180272.png

So we had a Street Party planned for today. All the street closed off, everyone brought food, snacks, burgers, hot dogs...
Great opportunity to meet the neighbours, I thought, talk a load of rubbish, have a good evening, 5-8pm.
20 minutes in, the sky darkened, it started spitting, then rain, then the skies darkened and BAM!! Thunderstorms and lightning, very, very frightening, Me! Galileo, Galileo Figaro...
We all got soaked and the party was over. What a shame!
I got no burgers, no hotdogs, no snacks....but a few beers so that was OK.🍻🍻🍻

BAM!! Thunderstorms and lightning, very, very frightening, Me! Galileo, Galileo Figaro...
We all got soaked and the party was over. What a shame!
We’ve been waiting and waiting for it to hit us, the yard really needs the rain, and…nope, there was a skinny little band of clear skies between storm clouds. Missed us completely, rained like the devil three miles from us.

20 minutes in, the sky darkened, it started spitting, then rain, then the skies darkened and BAM!! Thunderstorms and lightning, very, very frightening, Me! Galileo, Galileo Figaro...
I got no burgers, no hotdogs, no snacks....but a few beers so that was OK.🍻🍻🍻
Needed a wow emoji but made me laugh too!

Today has a long list of plans which starts with sweeping the chimney (done), enjoying the ash, charcoal and crap out of the fire, then cleaning the creosote out of the bottom of the chimney and relighting the fire. All done.

Next is another wood collection, that will take about 3 hours, my 4×4, the trailer and call for lunch on the road.

Next is to come home and unload the wood.

Shower, then go back out to do the shopping, ring my brother in the UK and have a nice but expensive meal out before driving home for a second time...

And collapsing.
I can tick off all of that... yeah. Just don't ask me to do anything much today. :laugh:

1 ton, almost exactly, (1030kg not bad for a guess!) loaded, moved 70km and unloaded.

We're getting better at it. And it is getting easier slowly.

20240629_133623.jpg
20240629_141113.jpg

The wood here is stunningly heavy. Some of those logs need 2 hands for me to lift still. And I have to be very careful not to overload my vehicle, the trailer especially (the towing limit for an unbraked trailer is 750kg gross weight. Our trailer is 200kg.) So there's half a ton in the vehicle and half a ton in the trailer. I suspect she could easily take another half ton in the vehicle but I'm uncertain about what the legal weight inside my 4×4 us, and her brakes are 26yr old tech, so we prefer to play it safe. Her suspension doesn't notice the trailer or the weight inside the vehicle though.

Struggling with my printer today. Of course I have some forms for work that I need to print out and the alignment is wonky. I have been troubleshooting it and printing the test page where it states to pick the image for each column that has the least visible vertical lines and I have done that about 6-7 times and it still isn't printing out correctly. The text is aligned fine but the borders for various fields are not lining up correctly and it's just not going to work out. I sent the document to my DH for him to print out for me on his printer. My printer is about 12 years old and it might just be time for a new one. I hate doing this though because I have lots of ink cartridges for the old one and I hate the idea of all that ink going to waste!
Think Laser printer. Ink carts are expensive. But I agree it is time for a new one.

Some of those logs need 2 hands for me to lift still. And I have to be very careful
Goodness...that is heavy. I do remember this well, although 10 y or more have passed...my ex husband and I did similar to what you did, for his/our at the time house to heat. It was The heaviest arms and backspine workout, basically from 7 am to 7 pm...ever...we did it usually in August, the hottest summer month here, and it was swealtering hot in addition to heavy and repetitive lifting...

I feel for you.

Take care of you, and rest...

Mowing the yard, that’s one thing. With the lack of rain recently, I think it’s been three weeks since I’ve last mowed.

I’ve also got to cook our Sunday one-pot meal - cottage ham, green beans, and baby potatoes. That takes a couple of hours of simmering away.

Prep for dinner today. Grated carrots, chopped spinach, sliced cucumber, green onions, and tuna, seasoned flour dusted and pan fried shrimp, cook rice and season it, and slice up some avocado right before dinner.

Can anybody guess what I'm making?

Goodness...that is heavy. I do remember this well, although 10 y or more have passed...my ex husband and I did similar to what you did, for his/our at the time house to heat. It was The heaviest arms and backspine workout, basically from 7 am to 7 pm...ever...we did it usually in August, the hottest summer month here, and it was swealtering hot in addition to heavy and repetitive lifting...

I feel for you.

Take care of you, and rest...
If it is done all at once, then that wood shed needs filling to get through what we'd burn in a season (May through to a October though one year it was November!). But that's too much for me (spinal issues, wrist issues, osteoarthritis and Addison's disease etc), so we do a ton at a time. In the very coldest part of winter, that's about 4 weeks supply of wood. Otherwise it's 5-6 weeks of wood/heat. It isn't clear from the wood shed photo, but that stack of logs is 3 deep. It's on a wooden palette to keep the wood dry. We also keep the wood shed well swept because it's easier to see big spiders or even snakes that way (not that we have at this property, but at our last place we did encounter snakes hibernating in the wood pile because the wood was stacked outside but undercover. Here it has its over wood shed, but the sides of the shed would allow a slim snake to get in because it isn't well constructed! But that's farm life for you.

Back
Top Bottom