The CookingBites recipe challenge: garlic

Status
Not open for further replies.
Entry #2 for me is “Snert” which is a delicious Dutch split pea soup. My Dutch friend introduced me to this so I whipped it up recently and love it! You wont be left hungry with this dish, its super filling and really warms the belly :)

IMG_9330.jpeg

OG Link

Ok, I'm assuming this is my last garlic entry:

Recipe - Chicken Scarpariello

I first found this recipe in a Food & Wine cookbook I have, and it sounded both delicious and straightforward, which it was, so I'll tell you right now...great choice for a busy weeknight supper.

Since the cookbook didn't have a pic, and I do like to have the little extra security of seeing a pic, I hopped on the internet and did an image search, and that led me to Serious Eats, and then I just became interested in how others make the dish, so that led me to YT, and...the final result is the recipe I wrote up, which is a little of all of those, and some of my own touches as well.

Now that the history lesson is over, I'll say that actually making this was really fun - it wasn't hard, it didn't require much technique, no real measuring to speak of...just grab a pack of thighs, a couple of peppers, an onion, some garlic, pour a glass of wine and get on with it.

Looks? Well, I think it's beautiful. Lovely color, that golden skin and those brilliantly red peppers, so wonderfully rustic. It's a dish you can serve straight from the cooking vessel, and that somehow makes it all the more visually appealing.

Taste? Oh my. I don't even need to elaborate on MrsT's response, as it was another do-not-lose-this moment for her. The chicken is delicious, of course, as expected, but it's the sauce that's the star here - sweet from the bell peppers, a little tangy from the brine...it's a real treat.

I'd add that, while I didn't do this, I'd recommend serving this with some rice or even some boiled potatoes. The sauce is (by design) on the thin side, and would be ideal for soaking into some hot boiled potatoes or flavoring a nice mound of rice.

Okay, so I am the one who is going to need the extension. Friday 6/21 is my mother-in-law's calling hours and funeral service, and we are going to have out-of-town family members in until Sunday evening, 6/23, although my husband's cousin from Phoenix might still be here for a few days after that. We also are not sure about the timing of taking care of other details concerning her will, which will need addressing the week after the funeral. If I could please have an extension until 6/29 I would really appreciate it.
Sorry to hear about her passing.

I've put Sunday 30th June down as the date, UK time. That will cover all of Saturday in USA.

I live about an hour from GIlroy and have been going to the festival since I was a kid. It’s a soft serve on small cones and it is surprisingly good. The garlic is there but it’s not overwhelming and it works good with the creaminess of the dairy. Funny enough they never solid it there, samples only. If you’re a garlic lover then that the festival to go to, at least in the U.S.
Thanks for the correction. I've never been to the festival but it looks like it would be fun.

Thanks for the correction. I've never been to the festival but it looks like it would be fun.
Oh no correction intended, your post was just fine. It’s always neat to see someone mention something thats right in your backyard. I’ll have to see if I can pull up some old pics I’ve taken there. It’s a very lively event and the air is absolutely pungent with Garlic.

The funny thing is when you drive through the area during garlic harvest season, the combination of the harvest and the plants processing it will literally make your eyes tear up when passing through. But my god that smell:)

Last edited:
That looks phenomenal!
It’s funny that I live 20min from the Pacific coast and yet I don’t eat much seafood. After seeing this I think I need to change that.
Last time I was in SF (about 30 years ago) my oldest sister (who lived in Palo Alto) went to several seafood restaurants and I got the Dungeness crab almost every time. Yum. I was living in Florida at the time and there was a lot of stone crab and blue crab, but the Dungeness was a real treat! I see them every once in awhile at markets here but they are always super expensive.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom