The General Chat Thread (2016-2022)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Tomorrow I shall apply for (and there is no reason I shall not obtain) what is called a "re-entry permit" in order that I may leave the country (to Cambodia next week) and return without having to obtain another visa. This is required for every alien who wishes to leave the country and return but who does not possess a multi-entry visa. This will cost me a 150 km round trip plus US$ 30.00.

I was thinking about Cambodia for my 50th birthday but September is the wet season so that rules that out!

I was thinking about Cambodia for my 50th birthday but September is the wet season so that rules that out!
If you fancy it - go. [or maybe put it back a couple of months] After all it's no crazier than people paying out huge amounts of cash to go somewhere very cold, strapping long pieces of wood to their feet [ideally designed for leg breaking] taking long rides up mountains and then sliding down them [if they can]. Buy an umbrella if you have to but never put off something you want to do if you don't have to - life is way too tenuous.

If you fancy it - go. [or maybe put it back a couple of months] After all it's no crazier than people paying out huge amounts of cash to go somewhere very cold, strapping long pieces of wood to their feet [ideally designed for leg breaking] taking long rides up mountains and then sliding down them [if they can]. Buy an umbrella if you have to but never put off something you want to do if you don't have to - life is way too tenuous.

We have talked about going earlier in the year it just would have been good to be there on my big day. Last year we were in Borneo for my husband's big day but he is August so it was ok.

I know Alton well. We used to go there for the pizza express for many years until they finally opened a restaurant in Farnham. It's a really good branch in Alton as well. That's one thing I do miss living this side of the world. A good pizza joint. I've not found one yet.

I have been to the one in Farnham too in the past. When did you live round there? I have been here for the last 20 years. I haven't been to Pizza Express for a long time but last time I was a bit disappointed.

I was researching the temperature expected in Siam Reap next week. It looks like I shall need a woolly for the evenings (18 degC ).

I've been on holiday in Koh Chang a number of times in the wet season and lived in Malaysia almost 5 years where it's always the wet season. The rain is heavy and rarely lasts long. Also it's warm rain and because you're wearing minimal clothing, you're dry in 5 minutes (denims excluded).

I was researching the temperature expected in Siam Reap next week. It looks like I shall need a woolly for the evenings (18 degC ).

I've been on holiday in Koh Chang a number of times in the wet season and lived in Malaysia almost 5 years where it's always the wet season. The rain is heavy and rarely lasts long. Also it's warm rain and because you're wearing minimal clothing, you're dry in 5 minutes (denims excluded).

We both like the hot climate and like to try different food and absorb some culture. We like to explore, swim, snorkel and TVC is a scuba diver so we look for places that will offer all of these things. We are happy to compromise but it about relaxing in the sun and enjoying great food and culture.

Last year in Borneo, the first week was relaxing, snorkelling etc... the 2nd part was in the jungle exploring so it was a great mix even though the heat and humidity was such that we were showering at least 4/5 times a day!

Talking to a mate here who has previously visited Ankor Wat (Siem Reap) and is almost 20 years younger than me says the climbing (up and down) is hard work.

Maybe I'll just stay in the pub!

[Just for information, we shall drive to the border (70 km) and leave the truck there (US$ 2.00 to park) from where we shall be transported by an organised minibus to and from Siam Reap (some 3 - 4 hours), 3 nights in the hotel for a total cost of US$ 220.00)

Last edited:
Talking to a mate here who has previously visited Ankor Wat (Siem Reap) and is almost 20 years younger than me says the climbing (up and down) is hard work.

Maybe I'll just stay in the pub!

[Just for information, we shall drive to the border (70 km) and leave the truck there (US$ 2.00 to park) from where we shall be transported by an organised minibus to and from Siam Reap (some 3 - 4 hours), 3 nights in the hotel for a total cost of US$ 220.00)

I don't know if you can access this website but it has some interesting info about where to eat. I hadn't known about the French influence. Will you be staying at Raffles? :D
http://www.saveur.com/restaurants-hotels-travel-guide-siem-reap-cambodia-southeast-asia

Vietnam, Cambodia and Laos used to be known as French Indochina.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom