The General Chat Thread (2016-2022)

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have just learned that someone stole a copy of my novel from a local shop. I haven't yet decided whether I am appalled by this or flattered that anyone thought it worth stealing.
I definitely think you should be flattered. They risked prosecution to have your book!

We went out for a walk this afternoon, put on waterproofs just in case, good job we did because we were caught in a few heavy showers. It was just good to get outside, started to get cabin fever :o_o:

Actually, I was being slightly facetious...the copy in question was one that I was sent by the publisher, so royalties don't actually come into question there. In fact, any that I sell on my own or from copies I place in shops are much better earners than those sold through online sales, etc.

FTFY - Fixed that for you....

In other words, I know I need new glasses but haven't been to an opticians to sort it because I know it is going to cost a fortune. It always does because of my prescription... and it has changed yet again. It seems to change within a month or two of getting new glasses every time and in the UK I was paying over £300 a pair because of my prescription, the fact that I can't wear contact lenses (also because of my prescription) and that I use the very thin glass (prescription is such that anything else is really heavy) and that I always get reactive lenses (to protect my eyes and avoid another set of prescription sunglasses).... They cost. I'm also going to have to run that gauntlet soon in Australia. Oh joy.

In other words, I know I need new glasses but haven't been to an opticians to sort it because I know it is going to cost a fortune. It always does because of my prescription... and it has changed yet again. It seems to change within a month or two of getting new glasses every time and in the UK I was paying over £300 a pair because of my prescription, the fact that I can't wear contact lenses (also because of my prescription) and that I use the very thin glass (prescription is such that anything else is really heavy) and that I always get reactive lenses (to protect my eyes and avoid another set of prescription sunglasses).... They cost. I'm also going to have to run that gauntlet soon in Australia. Oh joy.
Except for the bit about reactive lenses, I could swear you were talking about me :D I was told by Moorfields Eye Hospital never to wear reactive lenses in spite of photophobia. Even cars, buses and motorbikes using their headlights during the day make me feel as though I've been blinded. I spend most of my time in perpetual gloom :meh:

I understand what FTFY means it was the rest of it that confused me....

My last test was June 2010 and that was when I bought this pair pf glasses. I do like like the idea of contacts so specs are the way to go, the selection was quite daunting but once I explained what I did and didn't want it was easier to narrow the field.

Must admit I find the prices charged for so called 'designer' frames totally crazy - the days of the cheap frame being the simple round ring are long gone [and even those seem quite fashionable since the days of John Lennon] and strangely no one has EVER run up to me [or anyone else I know] to check the maker of my specs. Just another case of "let's charge ten times the price because we've stamped a name on the side and some idiots will pay it" I suspect.

Must admit I find the prices charged for so called 'designer' frames totally crazy - the days of the cheap frame being the simple round ring are long gone [and even those seem quite fashionable since the days of John Lennon] and strangely no one has EVER run up to me [or anyone else I know] to check the maker of my specs. Just another case of "let's charge ten times the price because we've stamped a name on the side and some idiots will pay it" I suspect.
Exactly - the frames I have are both anonymous. One pair cost £65 + lenses, and the other pair cost £30 complete, yet extremely similar (?identical) frames with a name stamped on them are a horrendous price.

Do you think she was mad at me?

angry dennis s.jpg

The prices are ridiculous especially when you add on the prescription charges as well :o_o:. Not really into designer stuff anyway.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom