The General Chat Thread (2016-2022)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Our other (male) cat is evil...............

sit guard 2.jpg

I was expecting a package to be delivered today and my wife was going out for a couple of hours. I said "if the courier rings to determine where we live*1 what should I say? Just say "Glai Sawasdee Resort - near Sawasdee Resort".

"OK, Glai Sawasdee Resort?"

"No, Glai Sawasdee Resort - what you said was far from Sawasdee Resort!"

"How come "glai" means both near and far?"

"It doesn't - you are saying it wrong!"

*1 In our village, when you build a house, and it has the roof completed, you obtain an address for the village "mayor". He has a ledger with a list of all the village occupants and their addresses, i.e. Main Street No 120 (we only have one street). Now, if the last person that obtained an address was given No 121 you would be given No 122 irrelevant of where your house was in the village. Therefore my next door neighbour could be No 6. Must be hell for the postmen.

*1 In our village, when you build a house, and it has the roof completed, you obtain an address for the village "mayor". He has a ledger with a list of all the village occupants and their addresses, i.e. Main Street No 120 (we only have one street). Now, if the last person that obtained an address was given No 121 you would be given No 122 irrelevant of where your house was in the village. Therefore my next door neighbour could be No 6. Must be hell for the postmen.

I am one of the few villagers who have their house number on the gate. My number also has my name written in Thai script. However, as most of my mail (with the exception of a few bills) in written in English (which the postman can't read/pronounce) it's a bit futile.

However, after being here 16 years, the postman knows where I live so it's not a problem. Couriers are a different kettle of fish.

I am one of the few villagers who have their house number on the gate. My number also has my name written in Thai script. However, as most of my mail (with the exception of a few bills) in written in English (which the postman can't read/pronounce) it's a bit futile.

However, after being here 16 years, the postman knows where I live so it's not a problem. Couriers are a different kettle of fish.
Why would you want a Kettle of fish, and what was wrong with the other one in the first place?

Couriers are a strange species, parcels for work have our delivery address on them but they can't find the gate however they can find the front door which is a completely different address and not on the parcel :o_o:

Couriers are a strange species, parcels for work have our delivery address on them but they can't find the gate however they can find the front door which is a completely different address and not on the parcel :o_o:
Indeed they are - I was once asked "is this No XXX" - It's on the door, both wheely bins, the gatepost and the wall. I was tempted to say "no we just pretend it is" but I suspect it would have been a waste of time.

Summer in Australia is odd I have decided 30C during the day, 4C at night.
But the complication is that it can b e 25C or 15C when you go to bed so you never quite know what quilt to start the night off with and if you will need to get up and change quilts half way through the night!

So, I'm here, but not here again. I'm busy preparing for my hubby's birthday relying on him to collect his own present when it is delivered to the post office (we have a PO box for parcels, it is simpler than waiting for them to decide that they can't leave it at the letterbox, then leaving a note to collect from the post office. It saves a day or two in delivery times which are rather slow to say the least.... . So I have made a chocolate sponge cake (dairy free) which is now in the freezer. I have also made so oat cookies to hide the mess I have made in the kitchen making the sponge cake.... so that there is a chance it could be a surprise... but I doubt it will be somehow knowing my luck at the moment.

I now need to go and ring the vets, find the chicks and feed them, find the special needs chick and clean up her blind eye yet again... hence the call to the vest and feed all of the other chooks... then try to get a blog post written.

Well I failed on most of that. My body had other ideas today and despite ignoring it, it won. I did manage to bake a dairy free chocolate sponge cake, cool it and get it frozen hidden in the deep freeze. I managed to rearrange the roosting perches slightly. Hubby is refereeing the roosting as we speak. It's painful to listen to but my body crashed at 4pm and I had to stay where I was for an hour until I had recovered enough to move to my bed.i did make a 30m ball of sari silk yarn whilst I was in the studio waiting in my wheelchair to be able to move again.
I burnt the chocolate chip oat cookies beyond eating sadly after I failed to turn off the oven after deciding that they were not quite cooked and needed a touch more time.

I got stroppy with our rental company this morning telling them rather clearly that I really didn't care if there was a communication problem with a company repairing the water pump and my landlord, it was their job to deal with it and I was that low on bore water that by Monday I wouldn't be able to flush the toilet and was already washing my clothes in my drinking water. I had reported the problem back around the 22nd January and it still wasn't fixed and it was my only sanitation.... Amazingly less than an hour later the repair company turned up. You meed a new pump... I asked them if they wanted to actually see the broken parts that were no longer in the pressure valve.... Scratches head, what pressure value, what parts.... These ones.... They taken them away and a couple of hours later come back, pressure valve not needed on this system, so they have removed it. Pump leaks, water shouldn't come out of the top... It's always been like that and still managed work... Hour later everything working, you don't need a new pump...we've left it running....

Amazing what happens when you tell someone you're going to be stroppy but not actually get angry, yell, shout or be rude, just level voiced and straight facts.

So I'm installed on the sofa now with a tablet, a blanket I'm knitting and struggling to listen to my hubby try to round up chicks that have a routine with me but don't know him and if he doesn't follow the routine... And he's done it in the wrong order... He's in the 2nd chooks house doing the 5 chicks when he should be in the veg plot doing the 2 sick chicks now... Rounding them up could be fun! Listening to it isn't!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom