The General Chat Thread (2016-2022)

Status
Not open for further replies.
we are going through a period of a couple of days of sunshine and temperatures ranging from 15 to 30C night to day... and then back to thunderstorms or just rain and temps ranging from 3C to 20C... it's weird and hard on the body. You long for the sunshine when its raining (but really I am very grateful for the rain, life is green again and we have a second spring time) and you appreciate the warmth until about 8am in the morning... then its already too hot. Its too warm at night to sleep... then the rain comes and initially you think great... until you get the cold night, but at least you can get some sleep but getting out of bed in the morning is hard because it is sooooo cold and the wood burner isn't yet connected and I can't light a fire yet. so its 4 or 5 layers back on (I have yet to get my winter clothes out - its too soon)... so you spend the day with socks and boots on, layer after layer...

the only consistent thing is that you need layers and as the sun comes up, it warms up quickly... and you shed your layers... until you find around 6pm you need to find your layers again...

Oh and for this week only, I am only 10hours into your future (I was 11 hrs for my summer) and then I drop back to 9hrs... it is confusing trying to keep up with where family are in the time frame of things for contact!

we are going through a period of a couple of days of sunshine and temperatures ranging from 15 to 30C night to day... and then back to thunderstorms or just rain and temps ranging from 3C to 20C... it's weird and hard on the body. You long for the sunshine when its raining (but really I am very grateful for the rain, life is green again and we have a second spring time) and you appreciate the warmth until about 8am in the morning... then its already too hot. Its too warm at night to sleep... then the rain comes and initially you think great... until you get the cold night, but at least you can get some sleep but getting out of bed in the morning is hard because it is sooooo cold and the wood burner isn't yet connected and I can't light a fire yet. so its 4 or 5 layers back on (I have yet to get my winter clothes out - its too soon)... so you spend the day with socks and boots on, layer after layer...

the only consistent thing is that you need layers and as the sun comes up, it warms up quickly... and you shed your layers... until you find around 6pm you need to find your layers again...

Oh and for this week only, I am only 10hours into your future (I was 11 hrs for my summer) and then I drop back to 9hrs... it is confusing trying to keep up with where family are in the time frame of things for contact!
Welcome to the wonderful world of desert living. And no, one never really gets used to it. You just learn to keep summer and late fall clothes handy.
Last Sunday, we uncovered our air conditioner, Thursday or Friday we had to recover it and turn on the heater.

I'm glad I live in England. :DI would hate those extremes. I lived in Cairo for a year once which is desert climate. But that was just hot and dusty. Not wet or cold.

Welcome to the wonderful world of desert living. And no, one never really gets used to it. You just learn to keep summer and late fall clothes handy.
Last Sunday, we uncovered our air conditioner, Thursday or Friday we had to recover it and turn on the heater.
its weird one day needing an air conditioner (not that we have one) and the next needing the log fire! (not that we have one of those anymore. This weekend's job for my husband is putting in the flue for the wood burning stove so that we have some heating other than bailing to another building!

I'm glad I live in England. :DI would hate those extremes.
Surrey/Hampshire border was bad enough.... summers hot and dry, winter was either warm and wet or cold and dry... cold as in -14C was the coldest we had... summers (well I didn't keep track!) but the curtains were drawn during the day and doors & windows shut, and then at night curtains, windows and doors opened... the joy of old houses...

Today has been xyz crap. My OH will be late home because my physio session didn't go well. We were going over the new exercises for me to do and I need to try toe raises... basically supporting myself and using my left side to get my right side used to the movement even though the strength isn't there. He wanted me to see how many I could do. We found the limit very quickly when my leg, first my thigh and then my calf muscles cramped up to the point of me crying out in pain and having to stop. Physiotherapy then lasted another 90 minutes whilst we tried in vain to get my leg to stop cramping. Heat therapy, muscle stretching, pressure point you name it all applied. My husband was late back to work because I could no longer drive, the problem leg being my right leg... and I wasn't able to move my leg at all myself without triggering another episode of cramping and spasms. My physio got to witness first hand what we put up with each day...

And the magic number I hear you ask?

A measly 3. Yep THREE... and I was in agony.

We are going to start with ones and twos initially and hope we can build from there. And that is without weight on the leg, just the movement! two and a half years on and I can't even manage 3 non-weight bearing toe lifts.

Plus it meant I wasn't able to drive home and leave my husband at work. So he had to bring me home wasting two hours of his working day, plus the additional 1 and a half hours at physio whilst we tried to get me to a point where I could actually sit in the wheelchair to leave... so he didn't get lunch, he wont be home in time for evening meal and probably won't be home before dark....

:( :cry:

Well I called it an air conditioner but it is actually an evaporative cooler originally sold in Australia.
I have seen days, sweat pants in the morning, shorts in the afternoon and jackets at night.
Or shorts before noon and heavy coats in the afternoon.
Our low will be 8C and tomorrow the high will be 28C.

If they have a collection in the village (normally for donations to complete the building of the temple) the following day the amount of each donation and the person giving it is announced over the village tannoy.

A little embarrassing for a person from Yorkshire.

its weird one day needing an air conditioner (not that we have one) and the next needing the log fire! (not that we have one of those anymore. This weekend's job for my husband is putting in the flue for the wood burning stove so that we have some heating other than bailing to another building!

Surrey/Hampshire border was bad enough.... summers hot and dry, winter was either warm and wet or cold and dry... cold as in -14C was the coldest we had... summers (well I didn't keep track!) but the curtains were drawn during the day and doors & windows shut, and then at night curtains, windows and doors opened... the joy of old houses...

Today has been xyz crap. My OH will be late home because my physio session didn't go well. We were going over the new exercises for me to do and I need to try toe raises... basically supporting myself and using my left side to get my right side used to the movement even though the strength isn't there. He wanted me to see how many I could do. We found the limit very quickly when my leg, first my thigh and then my calf muscles cramped up to the point of me crying out in pain and having to stop. Physiotherapy then lasted another 90 minutes whilst we tried in vain to get my leg to stop cramping. Heat therapy, muscle stretching, pressure point you name it all applied. My husband was late back to work because I could no longer drive, the problem leg being my right leg... and I wasn't able to move my leg at all myself without triggering another episode of cramping and spasms. My physio got to witness first hand what we put up with each day...

And the magic number I hear you ask?

A measly 3. Yep THREE... and I was in agony.

We are going to start with ones and twos initially and hope we can build from there. And that is without weight on the leg, just the movement! two and a half years on and I can't even manage 3 non-weight bearing toe lifts.

Plus it meant I wasn't able to drive home and leave my husband at work. So he had to bring me home wasting two hours of his working day, plus the additional 1 and a half hours at physio whilst we tried to get me to a point where I could actually sit in the wheelchair to leave... so he didn't get lunch, he wont be home in time for evening meal and probably won't be home before dark....

:( :cry:
 sorry to hear that! As you say, at least the physio has seen first hand what your issues are. Is there anyone else who can come with you next time, should you not be able to drive?

sorry to hear that! As you say, at least the physio has seen first hand what your issues are. Is there anyone else who can come with you next time, should you not be able to drive?
Thanks, only having the one car, I had gone to work with my husband. He ended up rearranging a few meetings and working very late that night (as in not home until 9:30pm late) because he had to drive me home, drive back to work, missing lunch and then catch up because of a work thing with a deadline that day.
So I was able to get home, but the original plan of him taking the train home and me just picking him up and only needing to do 24km I the evening rather than 100km fell to pieces!

Sadly there are only 2 others we know. 1 friend is 'intermittent' and comes and goes as she and he pleases (she's married... Friend of family) now working Monday to Wednesday... The other isn't someone I could really ask for help and lives a long way out. So sadly no.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom