The General Chat Thread (2016-2022)

Status
Not open for further replies.
And, I am convinced that I saw both Elvis Presley and Bing Crosby on Essaouira beach back in 1971.
You got pictures to prove it?

Whilst different names have been used, different cultures, their posistions are where they were expected. After so long a period.

Welcome, Rob.

I am a nighttime cook as well, but only on my nights off. Working midnights has caused me to look for a supper type meal between 10 PM and midnight, so I usually have my lunch with my family which is their dinner (whether I am hungry or not, just to be there). I then either take some to work later, or get my dinner at work.

But on my rare nights off, I get to cook for myself, by myself, and how I like things without considerations.
So long as I clean up, my wife only grumbles at me to keep the noise down so late at night.
But there is something to be said for late night cooking.

OK, so, hey, welcome...lol.:highfive::wave::wacky:

When do you sleep then @buckytom?

I usually cook at night to take advantage of off-peak electricity prices, especially if I'm cooking something that takes a long time or a lot of separate pans bubbling away. I often follow recipes which are intended for several people too, so it is easier for me to cook it all late. I can then zap what I want to eat in the microwave and put what I don't need immediately in the freezer. I sleep in the mornings.

I usually cook at night to take advantage of off-peak electricity prices, especially if I'm cooking something that takes a long time or a lot of separate pans bubbling away. I often follow recipes which are intended for several people too, so it is easier for me to cook it all late. I can then zap what I want to eat in the microwave and put what I don't need immediately in the freezer. I sleep in the mornings.
I don't understand this. My electricity costs the same per kWh, no matter what the time.
Now today was a high electric day. I did 2 loads of laundry.

I don't understand this. My electricity costs the same per kWh, no matter what the time.
Now today was a high electric day. I did 2 loads of laundry.
We can opt to pay the same rate for electricity all the time, or use the Economy 7 tariffs which have a slightly dearer rate during the day and a much, much cheaper rate at night (from 12.30 a.m. to 7.30 a.m. in winter, and 1.30 a.m. to 8.30 a.m. in summer). Some electricity companies also have a tariff called Economy 10, which means you get 3 cheaper hours during the afternoon as well - handy for people who have storage heaters. My dishwasher, washing machine and water heater all go on at night too, along with phone chargers etc.

We can opt to pay the same rate for electricity all the time, or use the Economy 7 tariffs which have a slightly dearer rate during the day and a much, much cheaper rate at night (from 12.30 a.m. to 7.30 a.m. in winter, and 1.30 a.m. to 8.30 a.m. in summer). Some electricity companies also have a tariff called Economy 10, which means you get 3 cheaper hours during the afternoon as well - handy for people who have storage heaters. My dishwasher, washing machine and water heater all go on at night too, along with phone chargers etc.
What is a storage heater? Just looked, our washer and dryer combined use about 3 kWh of electricity or about 50 cents.

Last edited:
What is a storage heater? Just looked, our washer and dryer combined use about 3 kWh of electricity or about 50 cents.
A storage heater is like an electric radiator. It charges up during off-peak times and provides heat during the day. I can save a lot of money using off-peak electricity, especially now that I am retired and have only my pension to live on.

That's a good question. :scratchhead:

I get about an hour or two at work most nights, then sleep maybe 3 or 4 hours at home around midday.

I'll sleep someday when I'm dead, I guess. Too much to do.

:eek: I would be dead if I only had that much sleep. I need at least a straight 8 hours (preferably more).

A storage heater is like an electric radiator. It charges up during off-peak times and provides heat during the day. I can save a lot of money using off-peak electricity, especially now that I am retired and have only my pension to live on.
I had never heard of such a thing though I could see where it might come in handy though typically our nights are much colder than our days. Today there will be a 34F (20C) difference between our daytime high and our nightly low.

I should look into something like that. I'm going broke trying to heat my house. I've become my father in that I walk around my house all day turning the thermostats down, and turning off lights and TVs in empty rooms, growling through my teeth about not wasting energy.

:eek: I would be dead if I only had that much sleep. I need at least a straight 8 hours (preferably more).

I have between 2 and 5 hours sleep early mornings, plus a nap in the afternoon. I've set alarms for my medication times (some of which coincide with dog- and cat-feeding times, so I'll get woken up one way or the other, although a 70+ lbs mutt jumping on you is more of a rude awakening :laugh:

I should look into something like that. I'm going broke trying to heat my house. I've become my father in that I walk around my house all day turning the thermostats down, and turning off lights and TVs in empty rooms, growling through my teeth about not wasting energy.
The only lights I have in the house at the moment are one small lamp and the light from my laptop screen. The lamp is a bit of an extravagance but in a house with three black animals and one tabby prowler it's more of a safety issue.

I've worked in places before now where it's been so cold because the bosses won't put the heating on that I've had to wear a coat indoors. Please don't get that bad :unsure:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom