The General Chat Thread (2016-2022)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Stone crabs claws are fantastic!

I've never been to Joe's, but I've had them many times in Florida.

You can get them frozen here, but they aren't as good as fresh, as is the case with most things.

The meat is so sweet, and a nice thing to think about while you enjoy them us that the crab didn't die in the process. The crabs are caught, then one claw is pulled off, and they are tossed back in to the ocean to grow it back for next year.

I guess it's not so nice for the crabs, but it's better than their blue claw neighbors.

Oh, btw, all crabs have to cleaned and either cooked or flash frozen right away. I've made the mistake of leaving them in a bucket of water overnight in the garage, and they stank to high heaven!

Oh, btw, all crabs have to cleaned and either cooked or flash frozen right away. I've made the mistake of leaving them in a bucket of water overnight in the garage, and they stank to high heaven!
Ah thanks...that makes sense. Would you say stone crabs are the best crabs you've tasted (when fresh)?

I just watched a travel programme on Miami and they had stone crab at Joe's Stone Crabs, restaurant. They were in awe of the flavour - one of them saying it was the most amazing meal he had ever had! It did look very juicy and they wore bibs (given to them) to gorge themselves! I love crab and it made me want to compile a bucket list i.e. on it would be to go there to eat it!

Anyone here been to this restaurant and had this stone crab and/or eaten Florida stone crab? If so, what did you think of it? Said to be cooked as soon as it is caught i.e. always fresh.

I also love crab but have never had stone crab. Just the lovely Cromer crabs plus some others around the UK coast.:happy:

Ah thanks...that makes sense. Would you say stone crabs are the best crabs you've tasted (when fresh)?
I couldn't say. It would be like asking what chocolate I prefer.

I love Stone, Snow, King, Blue Claw, soft shell, and Dungeness crabs. Even those little whole ones that you get in Korean ban chan.

So, trout fishing was a bust today. The streams were moving too fast from the recent rains.

We ended up heading over to the lake where we slip our boat and caught a few sunfish. Here's my boy on the boardwalk:

0408171709.jpg

And one little guy he caught:

0408171716a.jpg

Here's another, using the hot dogs we had for bait as a size reference:

0408171644c.jpg

Last edited:
Me, being able to control the line. Even the normal spots for eddys were running fast. Around bridges, and river bends, and so on.

We're going back in a few day when things calm down.

Time to read "A Summer on the Test" again. It was one of my dad's favorite books. I have his handed down copy. When my son catches his first trout, a fish that has heretofore eluded him, I will pass it on to him.

Last edited:
morning, or should I say evening? Its just going dark here. Ive literally just put the girls away for the night, but the 2 in the sick bay have longer to eat their evening meals...
Its been a wet soggy day just as the BOM predicted. I think we are due rain for tomorrow now as well with the temperature not getting above 15C but tonight will drop below 4C in the city which means we could get as low as 2C! There is snow predicted above 1,300m. First of the season I think. But the rest of the week is set fair with sunshine at temps of 21C. So I don't mind. Just hoping that Easter Monday is good because we are having a pizza party for friends and work colleagues firing up the pizza oven again...

So, trout fishing was a bust today. The streams were moving too fast from the recent rains.
We ended up heading over to the lake where we slip our boat and caught a few sunfish. Here's my boy on the boardwalk:

How does the old adage go?

"You can give a man a fish and he'll eat for a day - or you can teach a man to fish and he'll sit in a boat all day drinking beer"

My wife has concluded that the new aircon fitted two weeks ago only cools the air in the middle of the room.

How can you even argue against that?

Good morning all :wave:. Another lovely day, we will be going to Bradgate Park to look at the wild deer and any other wildlife we can find, we have a good camera and binoculars :okay:

Wow that was a grand few hours out and about, lots of deer but only 1 bird of prey, couldn't see it properly though because it was being chased away by some crows, obviously got a bit too close to their nest.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom