The General Chat Thread (2016-2022)

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am told that "evaporative" generally don't operate satisfactorily here because of the high humidity.
You were told correctly. They work much better in low humidity.
For those that are curious: an evaporative cooler has pads all around the outside. A water pump wets the pads. The fan inside then blows the cooled air into the house.
There can be as much as a 25F (14c)difference from outside to inside.

You were told correctly. They work much better in low humidity.
For those that are curious: an evaporative cooler has pads all around the outside. A water pump wets the pads. The fan inside then blows the cooled air into the house.
There can be as much as a 25F (14c)difference from outside to inside.

We do have a mobile mini one into which one pours ice water (or use the ice gel packs). It works for about an hour or two.

Our new wood burning stove (slow combustion) is proving a little too effective.
We keep having to take off many more layers than we are used to at this time of year. I wouldn't mind but it is only eating, sorry consuming 2-3 logs every 4-5 hours on low... even without adding extra wood during the night it is still warm when I get up at 5:30am and there are embers still glowing inside (not enough to relight it, but then I don't stack it to burn through the night)...
The old open fire used to take 3-4 logs every single hour... and through out very little heat. We are beginning to wonder if we have purchased too much wood for the winter! We got in 4 tonnes thinking it wasn't going to be enough!

That crab actually looks like a Stone crab.
The name Dungeness crab comes from a port town in the northwest US which was named after the low, sandy headlands in England, so there is a connection.
I compared google images of Dungeness crab and stone crab. Whilst the Cuban stone crab looks exactly the same, the Florida stone crab is not dark or speckled but a uniform light in colour.

Who remembers their Mum doing this?

topping up sauce s.jpg

I compared google images of Dungeness crab and stone crab. Whilst the Cuban stone crab looks exactly the same, the Florida stone crab is not dark or speckled but a uniform light in colour.

Interesting, I didn't know that there was a Cuban species. The claws look the same between the two, Floridian and Cuban, especially when cooked.

Obviously, I still do also (hence the image).
You should see the fun and games we have trying to get the last of the senap out of the squeegee bottle it's in! I have an 'empty' Marmite jar, Vegemite jar and senap container in the fridge all waiting to be emptied. Marmite and Vegemite both find their way into soups and stews once there's not enough left to scrape out. Senap usually ends up in anything needing mustard, so usually a salad dressing or a white sauce.

Seriously, the shower cream that I use (my wife uses different shower cream to make her skin white) ran out 3 days ago. I added a little water and it did me for 5 more showers!

I wonder if they will dare sing "hope I die before I get old...."
default_unsure.png

:laugh:. Originally the gig was last September on a Saturday, on that day were in Yorkshire for a family birthday tea, we were then going to move on to Sheffield but The Who cancelled and changed to today so we finished work at 12.30, pub for a light lunch then set off later :okay:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom