The General Chat Thread (2016-2022)

Status
Not open for further replies.
At least it doesn't take long to dry these days :thumbsup: I seem to remember Back in the 70s it took ages :scratchhead:

In the hot wet season here, mine is dry in about 3 minutes! Unless I'm standing out in the rain, obviously!

At least it doesn't take long to dry these days :thumbsup: I seem to remember Back in the 70s it took ages :scratchhead:

I shall always remember being fobbed off by girls when I asked to take them out. "No, sorry, I'm washing my hair tonight".

I still don't believe it even now.

Frequency of hair washing is an interesting point. I have a theory that we tend (in the West at least) to wash hair too often, thus removing essential oils which we then try to put back using hair products. I wash my hair about once a week and hate the way it looks when just washed - its too fluffy. It looks much better after a few days. I knew someone who never washed there hair. It looked fine! He said after the first few weeks when it goes a bit 'greasy' it then settles down into an equilibrium.

Mine looks at it's best freshly washed and naturally dried but looks and feels oily after a day or 2 so needs washing. Our hair is washed for us from an early age and we continue because it is 'what we are supposed to do' we probably don't need to and would most likely benefit from not but we do.

Frequency of hair washing is an interesting point. I have a theory that we tend (in the West at least) to wash hair too often, thus removing essential oils which we then try to put back using hair products. I wash my hair about once a week and hate the way it looks when just washed - its too fluffy. It looks much better after a few days. I knew someone who never washed there hair. It looked fine! He said after the first few weeks when it goes a bit 'greasy' it then settles down into an equilibrium.
I think there has been some discussion about this in another thread recently. I gave up using any form of hair products about 10 years ago. All through my 20's i used shampoo and conditioner every day and my hair (being quite fine) was always flat and listless. Now it gets power showered every morning, towel dried and finger combed. Job done. It's healthier, bushy (in a good way), shiny and clean.

Why do I keep getting involved in these hairdressing topics? I have no interest whatsoever in hairdressing. Just to be clear.

I think there has been some discussion about this in another thread recently. I gave up using any form of hair products about 10 years ago. All through my 20's i used shampoo and conditioner every day and my hair (being quite fine) was always flat and listless. Now it gets power showered every morning, towel dried and finger combed. Job done. It's healthier, bushy (in a good way), shiny and clean.

Why do I keep getting involved in these hairdressing topics? I have no interest whatsoever in hairdressing. Just to be clear.
Its your secret inner-self wannabe hairdresser.

I know of two people that made sure to wash their child's hair every night. Both girls were also not allowed to get their hair cut. Both moms were very germ and bug phobic.
Did you know that lice love squeaky clean hair? Oh yes, both of them brought those creatures home from school. Both girls begged me to treat their hair as mom would comb, jerk, squeal.
The second little girl did get to go get her hair trimmed. The beautician asked the kid where she wanted her hair cut. The kid said just above the shoulders. Mom started to have a meltdown. I told the beautician do what the kid wants and told the mom if she wanted someone with long hair, she should grow her own hair out.
So moral, wash hair every day, get lice.

I wash my hair everyday, sometimes twice if I get dirty or sweaty, and I've never gotten lice.

I just don't like to leave the house without having showered and washed my hair. However, I've met a lot of through hikers on the Appalachian trail over the years and they say a lot of what is being said here. These are folks who backpack 15+ miles everyday for 7 months or more in order to complete the trail. They say your body (and your hair) goes through a funky stage when you stop washing with soap every day, but then it sort of finds an equillibrium and you stop stinking so badly and just get a kind of mild musky smell.

I just can't bring myself to do that.

I wash my hair everyday, sometimes twice if I get dirty or sweaty, and I've never gotten lice.

I just don't like to leave the house without having showered and washed my hair. However, I've met a lot of through hikers on the Appalachian trail over the years and they say a lot of what is being said here. These are folks who backpack 15+ miles everyday for 7 months or more in order to complete the trail. They say your body (and your hair) goes through a funky stage when you stop washing with soap every day, but then it sort of finds an equillibrium and you stop stinking so badly and just get a kind of mild musky smell.

Are you in elementary school? That is the biggest breeding ground.
Besides aren't you a local celebrity?

Oh, I didn't know only kids can get lice. I thought adults could too. I'm pretty sure I've read that they can in unsanitary conditions, or if they're around a lot of kids. I coached Little League and ran the Cub Scouts, so I was around a lot of kids until last year. My son is in 7th grade now, and plays sports that I don't know the first thing about: rugby and MMA.

And I AM a celebrity...in my own mind.

I keep myself well entertained. :D

Actually, my official title is a TV and Radio Broadcast Engineer. Which means I install, maintain, and upgrade all of the stuff that makes TV and radio happen.
The best way to describe my job is that I'm like Scotty on the Starship Enterprise, but for TV.

I played it safe and went for a layered bob-cut or as my husband calls it a trim!. Looks and feels so much better without having a face full of hair. She did charge me for a pot of stuff to use, a tiny amount rubbed into my palms then run through the ends of my hair and scrunch it a bit, if I am not happy with it then I can take it back and get a refund. She agreed that a plastic comb may be best avoided and not to wash it everyday, I do it every other day
Picture please?

I have to shower and brush my teeth every morning before I leave the house.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom