The General Chat Thread (2016-2022)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Oh as far as weather today's high was 60. Yesterday was 90 and tomorrow will be 84.
we are going from -2 or 0C at night to +20C out of the sun at the moment - that's what temp it is now.... so from 30F up to 70F inside 6 or 7 hours! I don't know how hot it will end up today, but I can tell you one thing, the UV index is very high and the sun burns here like nothing I have experienced to-date even when cycling when you can't get out of it. Somehow it feels twice that heat in the sun! Factor 50 sun block already needed if you want to be outside. Tonight is forecast to be colder!

yep - used to do it all the time - half and then segment the grapefruit running around the outside of the segments as well. Sprinkle with brown sugar and grill until warm enough for your tastes. I liked my hot where the sugar was starting to caramalise. Often had it that way and have made many converts over the years. Works with white, pink or red grapefruit equally well.
I do the same. Its a recipe I had since the '70's! Add cinnamon powder and ginger powder too. Great for a skinny breakfast!

Re my toe. It seems to be just bruised. Its gone a lovely shade of purple but hasn't fallen off yet. And I can walk a bit better!

@SatNavSaysStraightOn, I've had many cracked and broken ribs too and I'm glad it isn't that. But your wound sounds more problematic. As you say, its the position, meaning the wound keeps breaking apart when you move the knee (oh, that's making me feel funny).

Re my toe. It seems to be just bruised. Its gone a lovely shade of purple but hasn't fallen off yet. And I can walk a bit better!

@SatNavSaysStraightOn, I've had many cracked and broken ribs too and I'm glad it isn't that. But your wound sounds more problematic. As you say, its the position, meaning the wound keeps breaking apart when you move the knee (oh, that's making me feel funny).
Yep - I suspect I have cracked ribs tbh. both sides are causing issues now at the front, getting sorer not better. Morphine does not ease it at all sadly and I am getting congested first thing in the morning. I also can't cough very well to clear it.

The knee is healing, but I have had to change the dressing - ideally I would have left it alone and kept it sterile, but the blood (fresh blood at that from waking ot the toilet several times during the night) had finally made its way through the dressing and every layer of the bandage, so it was time this am to accept defeat and change it. It looks OK, other than obvious badly bruised, swollen from bruising and bleeding in a couple of places, but that is to be expected because of it being at the top of the knee. I have taken a couple more pictures of it - I have learnt from past experience that keeping a log of wounds is rather useful. sadly I never took a photo of the insides of my leg after the dog bite despite the plastic surgeon offering me the opportunity. I didn't see the need at the time, but later on the NHS needed those pictures to see how bad the actual injury was (I had needed over 100 stitches to the wound on my leg), so now I photo anything, especially when I am avoiding going to the doctors (there is a $125 charge each time for starters!)

My mother chook is doing her mad chook act again. She is trying to camouflage herself because she is desperate to lay an egg and all of the others have already lain - usually she lays her egg when they are laying and basically sits on top of them and gives them her egg. When she misses her opportunity to do this, she makes her own nest in the chook house rather than using the nesting boxes and then has a mad session where she picks up twigs, leaves and pieces of sawdust and tries her hardest to place them on her back. She's 2.5kg and a very large chook. She's never going to hide herself!

Yep - I suspect I have cracked ribs tbh. both sides are causing issues now at the front, getting sorer not better. Morphine does not ease it at all sadly and I am getting congested first thing in the morning. I also can't cough very well to clear it.

The knee is healing, but I have had to change the dressing - ideally I would have left it alone and kept it sterile, but the blood (fresh blood at that from waking ot the toilet several times during the night) had finally made its way through the dressing and every layer of the bandage, so it was time this am to accept defeat and change it. It looks OK, other than obvious badly bruised, swollen from bruising and bleeding in a couple of places, but that is to be expected because of it being at the top of the knee. I have taken a couple more pictures of it - I have learnt from past experience that keeping a log of wounds is rather useful. sadly I never took a photo of the insides of my leg after the dog bite despite the plastic surgeon offering me the opportunity. I didn't see the need at the time, but later on the NHS needed those pictures to see how bad the actual injury was (I had needed over 100 stitches to the wound on my leg), so now I photo anything, especially when I am avoiding going to the doctors (there is a $125 charge each time for starters!)
You must have a pretty gruesome looking file of photos! :sick:
Aren't you covered by health insurance due to partners secondment (usually health insurance is included in those deals)?

You must have a pretty gruesome looking file of photos! :sick:
Aren't you covered by health insurance due to partners secondment (usually health insurance is included in those deals)?
Yes, and yes but I still don't want to suss out the hospital stuff. And Dr's for routine prescriptions are covered only for so much cover. It's something we are still working out exactly how it is done. It is rather like the fact that for non-repeat prescription stuff, I shouldn't have to pay for Drs or any resulting meds, but have had to. We've kept the receipts. my OH needs to look into it at some point. The only saving grace is that Australia has a system where by if you spend more than AUD $1,900 and something on medication in a given year then the cost of any further drugs is dropped to m I minimal costs.

The photos are just something I learnt many years ago. Helps with diagnosis later on, but also helps to keeping track with progress of recovery. Sadly the nhs have lost too many of my medical records for me not to any more. When i returned to the UK last time, having been back for 4 months we moved to a new house, registered with the local Dr, but still had a reasonable supply of meds purchased abroad to use so it was about 3 months before I needed a repeat prescription. luckily I only left it for 2 months before making the inkwell consultation with them. 2 out of 3 sets of my notes were missing and the only thing they new about me was that I had ' mild ' asthma. Given in a severe asthmatic with several major complications plus a couple of other major conditions that are all life long, need regular monitoring and periodic diagnostics (like mri every 2 years) and referral to consultants etc this was a big problem. Thankfully I saw a Dr who realised my notes were incomplete, risked giving me the months supply of meds I needed because I knew so much about the relevant conditions and had a copy of a very old and tatty repeat prescription. Plus my old Drs being a very small village Drs was able to confirm what I was telling them in the intervening month. but I had to undergo diagnostics for most of my conditions again, except ironically for my severe asthma. It wasn't the first time or even the second or third time my medical notes had been lost by the nhs. I was able to obtain copies of lots of bits of my notes by writing to previous consultants requesting anything they had be sent to my new Dr due to my notes having been lost. Several of my conditions include life threatening consequences of medication is stopped including 1 that will kill me in days. Even here the bale out option is to fly me back to the UK.

Our latest and (probably) final resident.

A complete crossbreed but superbly so.

IMG_5881.JPG

Whilst in Bilbao this weekend we found a delightful cafe just outside of the Guggenheim Museum, and their croissants were the biggest and tastiest I have ever eaten, the fact that they were half covered in chocolate is just coincidence :whistling:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom