The General Chat Thread (2016-2022)

Status
Not open for further replies.
It's only going to be 13C here overnight tonight as well! Mind you with tray said my body had worked out that this means I'll actually get some sleep, so it's now cashing in that token... Today had been an odd day. It was too warm after yesterday to sleep last night, it was definitely a no blankets, no quilt, no anything else last night (and hubby was away from home again)... It was 23C this morning when I got up at 5:30am. By lunch today it was 21C and by 3 pm it was 17C... Tomorrow is expected to be a cool day with a maximum temp, dare I say this? 28C!

Yesterday on the other hand was a very hot day by all standards at 39C! I was also put doing my Christmas shopping. Hubby didn't get the fork and spade he asked for, I ran out of time and probably money if I'm honest, but I did find the impossible gift he's been asking for for the last 6 years... So I'm happy. Wrapping his pants took about 3 hours this afternoon! Ooops...

Oh and yesterday we ended up rescuing a baby kangaroo, not a joey because it could no longer fit in mum's pouch, so I guess more a young or juvenile roo which tried to cross the track in front of us,cute us having to stop only for it to get caught on a fence as it tried to jump over it and well didn't. it did manage to hang itself upside down by one of its legs which got caught in the barbed wire fencing along the top. Imagine 2 stands of wire, insert a stick into one and between the other, then rotate top over tall or on rigid case literally tail over top and kangaroo is now hanging by its leg. It was make by the way... Mum want happy when we stopped and got out, but there was no way she was getting it down without human help... Amazingly it was unhurt because it had managed to get its leg trapped by the foot in-between the barbs! Talk about a lucky (un)break! 5 seconds pulling the stands apart and it was free and gone before mum had the courage to do something to the humans. Kangaroos (usually only the males) are known to kill humans in a single kick. It happens quite often in Australia...

The snow from the top of the table would be snow cream for me. Haven't had any since I was a kid, but that's because I refuse to go up north when it's cold enough to snow like that. I can't get or stay warm, no matter how much clothing I wear. My blood has gotten too thin from living in South Florida since I was 15.

Hubby had been carrying my tomatoes in each night (and putting them our again in the morning). He informed me tonight that I no longer have any unripe tomatoes on the plants. He got them in 3hrs after dark. So the possum had eaten them. Bang goes my tomatoes for this year. Worse than even last year. At least I got a few ripe ones last year. Right now I haven't got a single fruit, ripe or unripe and they don't look healthy. Hubby was meant to have built a wire cage to put them in to protect them (so he didn't have to keep moving them) but hasn't got around to it yet...
Damn possums. Thankfully we don’t get them on our block as the dogs see them off.

I’ve pictures somewhere of caged raised beds a friend built because they were sick of the possums eating everything.

Mind you, we had to put serious fencing around the veggie patch a couple of years ago as our dogs ate the kale.

6D0A5BC6-A64E-457A-83D0-1E805A1500F9.jpeg
@SatNavSaysStraightOn

LOOK!

She’s laying again. Thank goodness.

Our weather today is perfect for baking

5034888C-5F46-4F31-9ACD-6CBFA67189DB.jpeg

Daytime temp around 6 - 7C at the moment past couple of nights down to 0C.
PS For keeping the beer cool in summer stand in a shallow bowl of water and cover with a cloth - the water soaks up the cloth and as it evaporates it cools the beer :wink: - Old camping trick

My wife is making noises about going to Khorat for the day (about 200 km). There's a massive new shopping mall there that opened early this month. I shall leave the ATM card at home.

We had a really exciting time in the Khorat malls. I haven't had so much fun since my leg went septic. I bought 1/2 kg mustard powder and a bar of chocolate. My wife bought a fruit flan.

At least I managed to keep warm for most of the day.

For the first time for quite a while the maternity ward (aka our veranda) is empty of chicks, broodies or anything else for that matter. It's quiet! All the chicks are out in the main chook house tonight. Mum and 4 chicks are down there are sun down (I took them down at 9am this morning along with the famous five (5 hand raised chicks, 1 male, 3 female and 1 in uncertain on but think it's female but have doubts about because of occasional behaviour which is our of character). The FF never got out of the inner enclosure seemingly content to stay put despite hens coming in and out all day showing them the way out. I expect they'll do similar tomorrow, so we've put them to roost in the big ' girls ' house!

Now we just wait and see what and how many turn up in the week between Christmas and New Year... (our missing chook that had gone broody on us. We've seen no sign of her at all but 3 weeks will be up in just over a week or so.)
View attachment 12325 @SatNavSaysStraightOn

LOOK!

She’s laying again. Thank goodness.
:okay:
It's a relief isn't it. We are taking roughly a dozen a day from 16 potential layers. Something's amiss but I don't know what at the moment. They could be laying else where because I've been showing them significantly more free range time to account for the heat (around 30C most days and even cool days like today are 28C with 35C due on Sunday.) my girls are all heavy breeds that are better suited to the cold, necessary for winter survival (-8C most nights for a month this last winter), but during the summer I have to take precautions for them, like allowing them out earlier so they can stay cool under the house, their main cool location and leaving additional drinking stations around the garden.
So where they are laying I have no idea, if they are even laying. If they are not, then I need to know why to look after them... Next cooler day (Monday is only forecast to be 25C) they may find themselves in a long stay in their outer enclosure rather than a short stay!

So proud of My Man! He had Bariatric Surgery August 7th. Weight 315 lbs. (Down from 335 in January). He got on the scale yesterday - 250 lbs. 50 more to go.

He is so funny. Two months post surgery he said "Honey - look at my ankles" Me "Ok - what is wrong with your ankles" G "I can see them!". He has cheek bones. I am starting to see the beautiful, hunky man I fell in love with in 1982.

This evening we went to Sainsburys for our final shop, shelves full, lots of staff but not many shoppers so it was quick and easy.

Tomorrow we will be in work at 8am, do some work, have a bit of a party them home for about 11am-done for the year :woot:. Plenty of chores to do though :rolleyes:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom