The General Chat Thread (2016-2022)

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have noticed some of you seem to eat eggs every day.

I probably eat 6 per week unless I make a (three egg) omelette when it could reach 8 per week. Don't ask me why but if I have a curry, there is virtually always a boiled egg to accompany it.
A rasher of gammon would look strange to me without two poached eggs. Then there are the sandwiches/burgers.

I probably eat 6 per week unless I make a (three egg) omelette when it could reach 8 per week. Don't ask me why but if I have a curry, there is virtually always a boiled egg to accompany it.
A rasher of gammon would look strange to me without two poached eggs. Then there are the sandwiches/burgers.
Your gammon looks like our ham. And yes ham and eggs is wonderful, though I preferred scrambled or fried eggs. I don't like the whites unless they are covered in runny yolks.

Ham is also fabulous in pinto beans. (This is mostly in the south.) Or with sweet potatoes and assorted other fixings (side dishes) at Christmas. It is also usually served for Easter dinner. There are also ham sandwiches.
Christmas and Easter hams are usually glazed and baked.
The trimmings off a ham, (the skin and fat) are usually used in pinto beans.
Ham sandwiches can either be sliced very thin or thick.
There is also ham salad.

It is starting to get cold here. Why I wanted to work on the blanket. I don't know what it costs to ship something here. I think to mail a letter is 50 cents. Or half $1USD. We tend to use Amazon Prime to buy and ship things. Makes life simpler.
There's a fundamental problem work Amazon here in Australia. It doesn't exist! Ok I'll clarify. It exists for eBooks and digital music or video only. That's it. So no shipping costs but also no Amazon.

So if someone supplies something on Amazon UK and ships to Australia, I can use my UK card to pay in UK pounds and ship to Australia.

EBay UK is even more fun. My UK PayPal account, don't ask bit I've had to create 2 because of the way it ties you to a specific country. so I buy something from eBay UK from Turkey in £'s with shipping costs from Turkey to Australia in £'s using my UK PayPal account... EBay Australia, is ok, but not ideal. There is much less on it and a lot is from China not Australia. I can use my eBay UK account without a problem, but costs are in AUD $'s so I need my PayPal Australia account now... Especially if they will only ship to the card address...

Last week I found out that TNT a major courier company only deliver to a radius of 4km from the post office of my closest town. So we have to collect from a company who act as a holding area for the community. They get nothing for it, except I guess a lot of community support. But you don't know when it had been delivered to them, TNT don't tell you and the shop concerned won't have a contact number...

Buying online in Australia is interesting.

There's a fundamental problem work Amazon here in Australia. It doesn't exist! Ok I'll clarify. It exists for eBooks and digital music or video only. That's it. So no shipping costs but also no Amazon.

So if someone supplies something on Amazon UK and ships to Australia, I can use my UK card to pay in UK pounds and ship to Australia.

EBay UK is even more fun. My UK PayPal account, don't ask bit I've had to create 2 because of the way it ties you to a specific country. so I buy something from eBay UK from Turkey in £'s with shipping costs from Turkey to Australia in £'s using my UK PayPal account... EBay Australia, is ok, but not ideal. There is much less on it and a lot is from China not Australia. I can use my eBay UK account without a problem, but costs are in AUD $'s so I need my PayPal Australia account now... Especially if they will only ship to the card address...

Last week I found out that TNT a major courier company only deliver to a radius of 4km from the post office of my closest town. So we have to collect from a company who act as a holding area for the community. They get nothing for it, except I guess a lot of community support. But you don't know when it had been delivered to them, TNT don't tell you and the shop concerned won't have a contact number...

Buying online in Australia is interesting.
It sounds like it.

Generally Amazon refuse to ship even ebooks to Thailand.

Another strange thing, Nod32 would not permit me to upgrade my "on-trial" version of their anti virus program because I lived here.

Your gammon looks like our ham.

I read this some time ago; whether it's the accepted definition I don't know:

"The difference between gammon and ham, which both refer to meat from the hind legs of a pig, is that gammon is sold raw, while ham is sold cooked or dry cured and is ready for consumption. Once gammon is cooked, it is called ham."

Generally Amazon refuse to ship even ebooks to Thailand.

Another strange thing, Nod32 would not permit me to upgrade my "on-trial" version of their anti virus program because I lived here.
I am having fun with both my AV and iTunes. I purchased some DVD's from iTunes (digital format obviously), changed countries over to Australia when I had used up my remaining credit for the UK because it would not transfer to Aus, then tried to download my stuff. Now each of the DVD's was over 1.5Gb and as you know i have issues with downloads and limits so this was a get up in the middle of the night job to do, actually early hours of the following morning because the off-peak hours only run for 6 hours from 1am to 7am! No luck. report the problem - report goes to UK support... so we have a very long and slow conversation and after a week or more of me getting up between 1am and 7 am to try various things, I decided of my own accord to set my country back to the UK, go through all the credit card details home address etc and verify various things.. and suddenly it works. I can download the digital content. Now they are not region specific (I've gone from region 2 DVD's in hard format to region 5)... After another week a senior adviser takes over and we get talking very technical... It transpires that none of my content purchased with a UK address will download if I have an Australian address. I only wanted an Aussie address so that I didn't forget to pay the UK visa card in time. I really don't care where my digital address is... both are technically valid and I have done this before, only last time we changed countries 22 times in 12 months, so we just left everything set as the UK... and it worked even when we were in former soviet union countries. Now I'm in Australia and I can't download my stuff! Ahhhh so if I set everything up to Australia, once we return if I loose the content, I'm stuck!

I find it strange that in Australia you have bandwidth limits. Mine is limitless and I live in a Third World country. There are more expensive options here but mine is approximately A$30.00 per month (12 times/year) for a download speed of approximately 18.00 Mbps and an upload speed of 1.80 Mbps; quite sufficient for my current needs.

I am so glad I found here. Yall are friendly and not pretentious.
Even if there seems to be an egg obsession.
I have noticed some of you seem to eat eggs every day.
@Yorky, I am jealous of your yolks.
@SatNavSaysStraightOn, your fresh eggs look fabulous.
I love you all like runny yolks.
We are a bit egg-centric round here!

I read this some time ago; whether it's the accepted definition I don't know:

"The difference between gammon and ham, which both refer to meat from the hind legs of a pig, is that gammon is sold raw, while ham is sold cooked or dry cured and is ready for consumption. Once gammon is cooked, it is called ham."
But is the gammon cured... ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom