The General Chat Thread (2016-2022)

Status
Not open for further replies.
I read this some time ago; whether it's the accepted definition I don't know:

"The difference between gammon and ham, which both refer to meat from the hind legs of a pig, is that gammon is sold raw, while ham is sold cooked or dry cured and is ready for consumption. Once gammon is cooked, it is called ham."

On this subject, dinner this evening was gammon, egg, potato croquettes and baked beans

P_20161109_175443.jpg

On this subject, dinner this evening was gammon, egg, potato croquettes and baked beans

View attachment 3977
No pineapple? :D

I always thought it an odd thing back in the 60's or 70's when gammon was served with a warm pinapple ring. You are perhaps, too young @Lullabelle, to remember this!

But its not quite so daft as it sounds as pineapple has meat tenderising enzymes.

Last edited:
No pineapple? :D

I always thought it an odd thing back in the 60's r 70's when gammon was served with a warm pinapple ring. You are perhaps, too young @Lullabelle, to remember this!

But its not quite so daft as it sounds as pineapple has meat tenderising enzymes.

Neither of us like pineapple and as I was just born in 1970 I do remember and have served it a couple of times, not keen.

Neither of us like pineapple and as I was just born in 1970 I do remember and have served it a couple of times, not keen.
I agree. But using fresh pineapple as a tenderising agent is interesting. Marinate meat (any meat) with fresh pineapple juice/pieces, chilli, garlic, ginger. (or whatever) for a few hours or overnight, before cooking. You don''t need to cook the pineapple with meat - just use in marinade.

Dry here but having seen the forecast earlier I don't think we will be going far tomorrow. :rain::rain::rain:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom