The General Chat Thread (2016-2022)

Status
Not open for further replies.
My 6-7 year old mother hen, one we had taken to calling mum because that was how she behaved had become broody overnight. It was like a light switch switching. I guess we should have realised why she had started to lady everyday... The day before yesterday morning she was stuck on the rising perch, she's been having increasing difficultly getting down in the mornings, so I've been helping her.. well yesterday she was frantic over feeding making clucking noises I've not heard from her before. Then went and sat in the nesting box d she uses (a cardboard box. She can't easily use the others because she's so large and crippled). She sat there accepting the lowest ranking chook laying alongside her. Another managed to lay whilst she was feeding when I went out around 10:30am to check on things and scare off a mob of ravens from the garden. She laid an egg as well, so somewhere along the lines my only other laying chook laid. Her next break off 20mins was when I let them all out at lunchtime. But 20 minutes later after a quick preen and feed she was back on the nest. At least I had chance to swipe the eggs. She didn't get up again all day or night. Spent the night in the nesting box and did the same again. Yesterday was an exact repeat right down to the biggest dump you have seen. She's a large bird as it is but...

So she's totally 100% broody and we are stuck. She won't break the cycle naturally without damaging her health. If I leave her with fake eggs on the nest, it could be 4-5 weeks before she comes out of it. None of our fertile eggs are really suitable. 2 have calcium issues and the other 2 we don't want as crossbreeds.

I can't do what is needed to break the cycle which is to lower her body temperature by dumping hey in cold water 4-5 times a day. Just on a practical side of things she's over 2.5kg in weight! I'll try for a more accurate weight tomorrow. Also I don't really like the concept because of the trauma to the chook and both my ethics and my broken ribs...

Which leaves us with only 1 option to minimise the damage to her health. I've just bought a mixed box of pure breed fertile eggs. I'll add in 1 or 2 of hers to make me feel better and let nature take its course. I'm unlikely to get more than a couple of chicks from the brood anyhow so, we'll see what happens and hope it doesn't damage her health too much on a crash diet¡ she will eat 80% less than normal whilst brooding the eggs.

The sooner they arrive the better. Then I have to let them settled for 24hrs in a special way and put them under her on Saturday night, if they arrive on Friday via the postal service. I now have a parcel collect address. There seemed little point in people trying to deliver, finding my post box, leaving a note that it is at the post office...

Just what we needed!

You could go for duck eggs instead... too late now.
We already have 2 ducks that have adopted our tiny pond (about 4 fit wide and 8 for long. 2 for deep max.) The other 2 ponds are no more than 2-3 foot diameter and 1 is a nature pond, the other has a hole in it and doesn't hold water well. Ducks do need some water and they would end up living at the creek. But if the other one from the breeder we got these 3 from goes broody there is every chance...

I am starting my Christmas decorating. Decided on an Angel theme.
I've given up Xmas deco. One string of LED blue lights remain around the bay window (from last year - didn't get round to taking them down). I may switch those on. That's it!

I've given up Xmas deco. One string of LED blue lights remain around the bay window (from last year - didn't get round to taking them down). I may switch those on. That's it!
This is the first time in years that we are decorating. Last year we just did a ceramic tree.

I think this could be the first time in years that our decorations will actually make it out of the box. Admittedly we may have to go and cut down a pine tree to actually have one in the house (we should find one in a garden centre in Canberra hopefully, to avoid chopping down one of our own...), but for once, the first time since 2011, we will actually have the space to have a Christmas tree! Mind you the idea of a hot Christmas is something we are still getting our heads around!

For many years it was just the 2 of us over Christmas so we didn't bother with any decorations. Two years ago we lost mum so dad stayed with us for a crime couple if days and we wanted to push the boat out, so we bought a tree, decorations and TVC dressed the table. We had M&S crackers, napkins, mixed sized stars sprinkled over the table. My brother and his 3 kids joined us for the day. Last year everyone came to us just for the day and again we made a big fuss. The tree will not go up until at least 1 week before the day.

Last edited:
Well the only place there is room for a Xmas tree (I always use an artificial one to save trees) is in the bay window. And that is now where I do most of my food photography! So no tree...

As it happens we tend not to get any christmas cards either (probably because we don't send any!) so no need to worry about displaying those, either. Last year the only card we got was one from my partner's Mum (who has since died).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom