The General Chat Thread (2016-2022)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Now sitting outside supervising my chooks.

Mum, aka CC, went broody 100% on Tuesday. Since then getting her to even register that life exists outside of the cardboard box she had chosen as a nesting site is almost impossible. Wednesday she didn't really want to come off the nest but did respond to me coming down and feeding the other chooks and leaving the gate open. Yesterday that disappeared and she went 24 hours without leaving her nest box or feeding or drinking! It was 29°C here yesterday and they are in a chook house that is corrugated tin (like most other things in Australia). I threw her off the nest when I finally needed to move her cardboard box to an address I could protect her and any eggs from the attention of the other chooks who just want to lay in the cardboard box. She did feed eventually but was upset about it :o_o:

So, I don't know if I have to do this 2 or 3 times a day but until the eggs hatch it looks like I'm on chook duty! She's around 6-7 years old and not meant to be getting broody any more hence why the breeder was retiring her (her and 2 others, destined for the dogs bowl). So we have no idea on what we are doing, we have an elderly chook that doesn't want to do anything except nest and raise chicks and has just decided time is up... Bye for a minute or two. I had to lock her enclosure up to force her to eat and preen herself. Haven't managed to get her to drink though! Don't know why. Didn't see her drink yesterday either!

I say, don't fuss and let the chicken get on with it! As long as she has access to food and water she will be OK. Not that I'm an expert! :laugh:

.....we had stick insects for a while and I fussed over them so I fully understand...

I worked in Leicestershire for a a few months in the early 80's. I found the locals very strange even then. :scratchhead::scratchhead:

I worked in Leicestershire for a a few months in the early 80's. I found the locals very strange even then. :scratchhead::scratchhead:

I have a phobia of spiders so a few years ago decided to have some 'stickies' thinking that they may help as they have 6 legs and are a bit spider like, did not help me 1 one bit but they were fun to have around.

I have a phobia of spiders so a few years ago decided to have some 'stickies' thinking that they may help as they have 6 legs and are a bit spider like, did not help me 1 one bit but they were fun to have around.

Do you mean that they were always telling jokes or just performing funny antics?

(I can't believe that I'm saying this!)

I am just about to post a recipe in the seafood thread to add to the recipe challenge is anyone wants to help attach it please :happy:

Put it onto Morningglory gingered prawns thread

Last edited:
This afternoon we nipped into ALDI and I picked up a pack of 30 Christmas cards for £1.49, they look a lot nicer than M&S cards for about twice the price.

I am just about to post a recipe in the seafood thread to add to the recipe challenge is anyone wants to help attach it please :happy:

This has been added to the recipe challenge, ta very much :okay:

This has been added to the recipe challenge, ta very much :okay:

Great to see you have entered - prawn cocktail is a great classic.You now need to post a link to it, back on the challenge thread. If you want to know how to do this I can explain - but otherwise just put a new post on the Challenge thread to say you have posted Prawn Cocktail as an entry (and I will add a link).

I'm sure you know how to create a new thread dont you? Just do that and to the left of the title there is a drop down menu just select recipe... That's all you do.
Nothing else to it really, except adding the tags(bottom of thread, just starting typing them in and after 2 or 3 letters it will give you a list of options, select what you want. To narrow the list type more letters.)

I hear a rumour about snow?
We are sure our hottest day so far today. 31°C. With possible thunder this afternoon which means got and humid but no thunder!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom