The General Chat Thread (2016-2022)

Status
Not open for further replies.
the problem is that with my OH's work, I have learnt not to be nosey. I would never know where he was, what he was doing and sometimes when he would be back... I did on one occasion establish that he was working in an old quarry with two security perimeters. When even a satellite went overhead everything and everyone had to undercover. That's about as much as I can say online!

Having worked for the armed forces as a civilian and managed a secure IT network (so no connection with the outside world and no internet access computer allowed within 10m of any secure computer (hard drives locked in massive bomb proof safes and 2 signs giving security levels for various alerts (including the risk of a mortar attack)) I have some idea of his security clearance level,

But I reached the very definite conclusion that it was better not to ask and not to know. I know he can't talk about his work, I can ask him how his day was, but details and info other than first names or 'the commodore', 'the colonel', 'the squadron leader' are a no-no. I only know he works indirectly for the Australian Navy here because things are much more relaxed on the security side of life here. I have literally driven up to the building he was working in to pick him up. It is totally open access, no restrictions, a public road running within 250m of the building etc. In the UK, I wouldn't even get close to the perimeter gate, and have to park up outside in the visitors area, go to reception and ask them to ring him for me... everything would be on security camera and the only reason I would not have to sign in would be that I would then return to the car with our car's permit on display!
1 I think I'd a relative in the same quarry.
2 How'd know it's not all on camera?

My brother has finally told my family (aka parents) that he is converting to Islam to marry a Muslim woman. I'm not sure just before Christmas was the best move or that doing it on the day of (y)our real father's birthday (he hasn't let go of him walking out on us) was a good move either. my brother is very bitter over the matter.

Mum rang me to interrogate me to see what I knew,... my only retort when my mother moaned about the Islam part was to casually point out that we had both Jews and Christians in the family, what was wrong with adding Islam to the mix? my step father laughed out loud, my mother didn't see the funny side.

I think I'm glad I'm currently in Australia... at least I can keep it all at arms length!

Families, the friends you don't get to choose!

My brother has finally told my family (aka parents) that he is converting to Islam to marry a Muslim woman. I'm not sure just before Christmas was the best move or that doing it on the day of (y)our real father's birthday (he hasn't let go of him walking out on us) was a good move either. my brother is very bitter over the matter.

Mum rang me to interrogate me to see what I knew,... my only retort when my mother moaned about the Islam part was to casually point out that we had both Jews and Christians in the family, what was wrong with adding Islam to the mix? my step father laughed out loud, my mother didn't see the funny side.

I think I'm glad I'm currently in Australia... at least I can keep it all at arms length!

Here are some virtual hugs. I am assuming your brother is grown and doesn't need mom's signature to get married.
Though I am a bit confused. Unless you celebrate real father's birthday, did your brother even realize it was that day. Agree with the right before Christmas as not being a good time.

Personally I think it completely bonkers to sign up to any religion, let alone get married (which I also consider to be a strange idea). If you want to be with someone then be with them. Who needs all that romantic and/or religious sh*t and ceremony? Of course, my sentiments don't help at all where your brother and mother are concerned. If he were my son I would be quite upset too. But perhaps not for the same reasons.

Personally I think it completely bonkers to sign up to any religion, let alone get married (which I also consider to be a strange idea). If you want to be with someone then be with them. Who needs all that romantic and/or religious sh*t and ceremony? Of course, my sentiments don't help at all where your brother and mother are concerned. If he were my son I would be quite upset too. But perhaps not for the same reasons.
Some groups believe in the sanctity of marriage.
In the US, in most cases you get a bigger tax break if you are married.

As to the religion thing, to each his own.
My very Baptist grandmother had fits and spells when my mother put my brother and I in Catholic school.
It was the best in education.
My mom also decided it was best if we decided rather we wanted to go to Mass or the library. (Option for non-catholics, the Catholic kids had to go to Mass.) I chose Mass, although I wisely never told my grandmother I dropped out of the Baptist church.

Some groups believe in the sanctity of marriage.
In the US, in most cases you get a bigger tax break if you are married..

It used to be like that here. But not now. The only bit where it matters 'money wise' now is inheritance tax. If you are married you get the lot, tax free (assuming its been left to you). If not then you pay tax on everything over a certain amount. In my case, there is not much chance it will be above that certain amount! Even if it was, I doubt I'd be prepared to go through legal ceremonies and claptrap. Ok... well I might if it were millions. :laugh::laugh:

Unless you celebrate real father's birthday, did your brother even realize it was that day.
We don't celebrate it, it just so happens to be on his birth certificate, just not on mine because I was born and registered in another country (minor technicality with the UK being various different countries!).

Who needs all that romantic and/or religious sh*t and ceremony?
So, do you want to guess what my 20th wedding anniversary present is then?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom