The General Chat Thread (2023)

Status
Not open for further replies.
It was 100F/38C today, will be 99F tomorrow and 101F Saturday and Sunday.
IMG_1902(1).jpg

It was 100F/38C today, will be 99F tomorrow and 101F Saturday and Sunday.
View attachment 102452

I know it was meant as a joke, so I hope nobody takes it seriously. That won't happen, even in Laredo, TX where it was 109F yesterday. Especially in a brick mailbox. You could put the dough in for 8 hours, and still end up with raw dough.

By the way, my friends and I have tried the old, "It's so hot, you can fry an egg on the pavement" thing once when it was up around 108F. All we made was a mess. :laugh:

I'm pretty sure everyone in this forum knows bread is baked at a much higher temperature than 100F/38C. Even if it's 200F in the mailbox it's not happening, at best the bread would over-rise and piles of warm dough would ooze out upon opening.

I'm pretty sure everyone in this forum knows bread is baked at a much higher temperature than 100F/38C. Even if it's 200F in the mailbox it's not happening, at best the bread would over-rise and piles of warm dough would ooze out upon opening.
Yeah, this is implausible at best, most likely fake.

Weather here's been dry and sunny and about 86 f to 95 f for the entire past month. Which is highly unusual for our country, it's one of the hottest summers yet. When I was a child we went to France on holiday for these temperatures.

I find myself getting used to it as well. Guess that's a good thing, given the times that are still coming..

Yeah, this is implausible at best, most likely fake.

Weather here's been dry and sunny and about 86 f to 95 f for the entire past month. Which is highly unusual for our country, it's one of the hottest summers yet. When I was a child we went to France on holiday for these temperatures.

I find myself getting used to it as well. Guess that's a good thing, given the times that are still coming..

It's only 89F/32C here... at 2:00 AM. That's the big problem right now, is it just doesn't cool off enough at night. My air conditioning runs most of the day, and most of the night.

CD

By the way, my friends and I have tried the old, "It's so hot, you can fry an egg on the pavement" thing once when it was up around 108F. All we made was a mess. :laugh:
But it does work on a vehicle in summer here in Australia. But given I haven't washed my 4×4 since we bought it +5 yrs ago, it's not something I'm tempted to try.

Somehow my 2 flies became 4 today. I managed to trap one between the window and the mesh, so that's 1 down. Until hubby came home they're was another trapped in the fridge (nothing in there exposed so it's not an issue). I had planned to catch it, but it escaped when hubby opened the fridge and swatted it away! Come on man. You could have caught it for me!

So they're are still 3 in the house. I'm wondering if we've something dead in the roof? If the number has increased again tomorrow, I'll have the answer.

Yes but we seem to have had a storm everyday for the past week, rain, rain and more rain, in fact it is pouring down as I type.
My frog population would love that.

They are very noisy at the moment despite the fact that only 2 of our 6 species call at this time of year. It's rather like living in the jungle. At night it gets noisier, not quieter.

(I record the frogs' calls every night for the Australian FrogID study that is ongoing.)

Our first Winter in Minnesota, I was delighted to find that they do a version of the egg test, only it’s “It’s so cold, an egg freezes on the pavement!” - for some reason, I thought that was the funniest thing ever, and every year, we looked forward to the first “egg report.”

We tried that, too. Not on any car of MINE, of course. It didn't work.

CD
In my husband's vehicle in summer, we have to cover the steering wheel and front seats with a blanket to prevent them getting so hot they can burn you. It's the only way you can actually use the vehicle. Holding the steering wheel is impossible otherwise.

And that's despite using the very effective reflective windscreen shields that are essential here for ¾s of the year.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom