The General Chat Thread (2023)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Et tu, Tractor Supply Company?!

IMG_5981.jpeg
IMG_5982.jpeg

:laugh:

It's Heeeere!

We haven't had any significant rain in months. Now it is coming down sideways, and heavy. I just heard something like glass breaking on concrete. All I can think of is that one of my neighbors left something glass out on the patio table, and the winds helped it to the ground.

1696468383523.png

BTW, I live inside the yellow box that says "McKinney" in it.

CD

Our rain finally arrived yesterday and stayed overnight. The result is more rain in 12hrs than we've had in the previous 2 months combined.
Luckily the ground has absorbed most of it here, but downstream are now facing emergency evacuation flood warnings just hours after the bushfire emergency evacuation warning was removed.

The result is more rain in 12hrs than we've had in the previous 2 months combined.

That's probably about the same for us, not that we got a ton of rain, but because we haven't had any rain in a long time. It's been a light to medium rain for about four hours, now.

CD

That's probably about the same for us, not that we got a ton of rain, but because we haven't had any rain in a long time. It's been a light to medium rain for about four hours, now.

CD
Yikes, I've just looked back 9 months and the last decent amount of rain we had was in March & April. (This is from our own rain gauge.)
  • January saw 61.7mm or 2½ inches
  • February only 17.6mm or ⅔ inch
  • March 102.1mm or 4 inches
  • April with 103.9mm or 4 inches in the entire month.
  • May 26.8mm or 1 inch
  • June 52.6mm or 2 inches
  • July 22.1mm or ¾ inch
  • August 57.8mm or 2¼ inches
  • September with only 12.7mm or ½ inch
So in the last 6 months, until yesterday, we'd had 275.9mm of rain or 11 inches in 6 months heading in to the dry season!

That's only 457mm of rain since the start of the year. (About 18 inches I think for 9 months.)

Berlin got 478mm since the start of the year. Most impressive is how consistent it rained (45-70mm each month), there are only 2 months where it rained just like 10mm.

Actress, dancer, musician and singer Glynis Margaret Payne Johns is 100 years old today. Recognised as an icon of screen and stage, Johns has a career spanning eight decades, in which she appeared in more than 60 films and 30 plays. She was born in Pretoria, South Africa.
1696506358259.jpeg

Actress, dancer, musician and singer Glynis Margaret Payne Johns is 100 years old today.
She’s in two of my favorite horror movies, The Cabinet of Caligari, and The Vault of Horror.

Yikes, I've just looked back 9 months and the last decent amount of rain we had was in March & April. (This is from our own rain gauge.)
  • January saw 61.7mm or 2½ inches
  • February only 17.6mm or ⅔ inch
  • March 102.1mm or 4 inches
  • April with 103.9mm or 4 inches in the entire month.
  • May 26.8mm or 1 inch
  • June 52.6mm or 2 inches
  • July 22.1mm or ¾ inch
  • August 57.8mm or 2¼ inches
  • September with only 12.7mm or ½ inch
So in the last 6 months, until yesterday, we'd had 275.9mm of rain or 11 inches in 6 months heading in to the dry season!

That's only 457mm of rain since the start of the year. (About 18 inches I think for 9 months.)

It is normal in North Texas for us to get very little rain in July and August. This year was more extreme, and the temperatures were well above normal.

Our water supplies in most of Texas are reservoirs --very large man made lakes. They go down in mid summer, and usually refill during winter months. Even with the drought this summer, we didn't enter extreme water restrictions, because the reservoirs started the year at near 100-percent.

I was in bed at about 12:30 AM, but not quite asleep. It was pouring down rain, and I heard this awful "crunch" that I knew was car against car. I jumped out of bed, looked out my window, and saw my next door neighbor pulling into his driveway in his big, Ford Transit shuttle bus -- his normal time to arrive home (yes, it is the same Transit they have in Europe). I couldn't really see anything, but this morning, I went out to see how much tree damage we had, and the the Toyota SUV of the neighbor across the street was badly mangled. :eek:

Anyway, the driver of the Transit came out, and I asked him if he saw what happened, and he owned up to hitting it. :okay: I pretty much already knew he'd done it, so it was nice to see him just say he hit it.

CD

We (meaning I) generally put our outside ones up in October, just because once November arrives, the weather is too unpredictable, and I don’t want to risk trying to get them up in a sleet storm or something like that. We don’t turn them on until the weekend after Thanksgiving, though.

This year, since we never took the tree down, we’re probably going to go ahead and get it decorated very soon.

Im sorry Christmas isn’t a happy time for you, but I get it - I feel much the same during all of summer.

Daylight Savings Time is over in a few weeks, and the days will be very short. With any luck, you'll have record amounts of snow to shovel this winter. :okay:

CD :D

In other news, for the first time in the history of the USA, a Speaker of the House of Representatives has been tossed out of his position... and by his own party, at the direction of Donald Trump.

Oh, it get's even better. Trump is going to Washington next week to pitch himself as the new Speaker. Our Constitution does not require that the Speaker of the House actually be a member of the House of Representatives.

I need to stock up on popcorn, as this is could be a very funny movie. :popcorn: :laugh:

Those of you in the UK used to have us beat, when it came to weird 💩 happening in government. You better up your game, because things are getting crazier by the minute here.:laugh:

CD

Grrr, just had a message from my husband saying it's not looking like he'll make it home tonight.

His outward flight was delayed yesterday but that meant he got to sleep in to the normal time instead of getting up at 5:30am. Now his return flight doesn't appear to be happening at all.

Edited to add, he's stranded in Sydney! Grrr

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom