The General Chat Thread (2024)

We do a fake tree, with a lot of Christmas, on, around, all over the town, Advent Krantzl, cookies, fairs, walks, lights, there's an ice skating ring built up for the Advent...usually also an Advent calender for daughter.

Each day bringing a cosmetics item ( toys have given way at 16 y old) or choc candies.

I play Christmas songs for days, I overdo. Rudolph and the lot...

But I get it, it will only be as skibidi as that until she grows out of it.

I love Christmas, so will certainly do some other version of it in the continuum...

We do a fake tree, with a lot of Christmas, on, around, all over the town, Advent Krantzl, cookies, fairs, walks, lights, there's an ice skating ring built up for the Advent...usually also an Advent calender for daughter.

Each day bringing a cosmetics item ( toys have given way at 16 y old) or choc candies.

I play Christmas songs for days, I overdo. Rudolph and the lot...

But I get it, it will only be as skibidi as that until she grows out of it.

I love Christmas, so will certainly do some other version of it in the continuum...

You and TastyReuben have much in common. I'm not so enthused but do buy presents for my kids and we have Xmas dinner. I certainly don't want to think about it until nearer December though.

So I had a weird experience today. I was on my way to pick up an online order, and on my way into the strip plaza opposite the business to which I was enroute, there was a group of people (8, both women and men) in the middle of the parking lot and these two young women were going at it, punching each other and grabbing hair, and it appeared the others were trying to pull them apart without getting hit but these two women were intent on fighting. One woman knocked the other one down on the asphalt pavement and stood over her leaning down and punching her in the face and upper body.

I was horrified. I pulled into the restaurant parking lot across the way and parked, locking my door just in case they saw what I was doing, and called the 911 emergency services number and explained what was going on, giving them descriptions of the aggressor and the apparent victim (I have no idea who started it or anything else but just told them what I saw) and they said they were sending police and an ambulance. The woman who was standing up punching was pulled away by her friends finally and the 6 of them walked off, leaving the injured woman and her friend in the parking lot. I noticed they were walking towards the store where I was picking up my order and told dispatch that. The poor lady who had gotten the worst of the fight was sitting on the curb crying. I felt so badly for her.

After the call was dispatch was ended, I went and picked up my online order, and on my way back through to the main road I saw the ambulance there and two police officers who must have been taking her statement.

I would rather my day had been more boring and uneventful. What is wrong with people?

What is wrong with people?
Probably the usual- love, sex, money or jealousy.
Tends to bring out the baser instincts doesn't it 😞

Sorry to hear about it, sounds a miserable shopping trip, hope it didn't mar your avo's cos I'm looking forward to seeing your contribution to the avocado challenge!

We do the real Christmas tree (the sheep eat it after we're done with it, so it gets recycled). I don't like the artificial ones, i just make sure i plant a tree during the year to replace it.

We also do the advent calendar simply because it's a great excuse for decent vegan chocolate that costs a lot to ship from Tasmania... we also get a box for Christmas and my birthday.

We do the presents, it's kind of the time when we buy stuff we shouldn't really, but it would be nice to have sort of thing...

We do Christmas lunch and the crackers and hats. We ring families and wish them well.

After that we head to the coast or the mountains depending on the day and sleep, rest, eat, walk or watch for platypus etc until the New Year heralds back to work.

At work we are having issues with our cleaner, her contract with the cleaning company finishes this Friday and she is officially ours from Monday. A lovely person but has no idea how to clean, doesn't have the common sense to look around to see what needs doing. I understand no one aspires to be a cleaner but we are really having trouble finding someone for 13 hours per week, a bit of pin money for someone retired maybe, wants to keep busy.

At work we are having issues with our cleaner, her contract with the cleaning company finishes this Friday and she is officially ours from Monday. A lovely person but has no idea how to clean, doesn't have the common sense to look around to see what needs doing. I understand no one aspires to be a cleaner but we are really having trouble finding someone for 13 hours per week, a bit of pin money for someone retired maybe, wants to keep busy.
Why would the company keep someone who doesn't do a good job?

A small company I used to work for hired the wife of one of the shop guys to clean after business hours. Everybody knew he was the one that did most of the cleaning, she was severely obese, but she was the one on the employment contract and was present, so it didn't push him into overtime pay.

Why would the company keep someone who doesn't do a good job?

A small company I used to work for hired the wife of one of the shop guys to clean after business hours. Everybody knew he was the one that did most of the cleaning, she was severely obese, but she was the one on the employment contract and was present, so it didn't push him into overtime pay.

We don't have any choice at the moment.

If I understand this correctly she's not a good cleaner and when her contract with the company you use finishes they're not renewing it/keeping her on?
Or have the company she has a contract with simply folded?

Trying to understand how you're lumbered with a bad cleaner?

If I understand this correctly she's not a good cleaner and when her contract with the company you use finishes they're not renewing it/keeping her on?
Or have the company she has a contract with simply folded?

Trying to understand how you're lumbered with a bad cleaner?

The company we have been using for many years have decided they want to concentrate on 'corporate' with multiple sites so do not want to do business with us any longer. The cleaner originally left her job to work for them, thinking she would have permanent employment but because they don't want to work for us any more they let her go, so she came in to fight for her job. She was told where she needs to improve and we have supported her as much as we possibly can, give her a chance, but she just doesn't know how to clean.
We should have gone to a small local business but the powers that be don't want to get involved with another company as they cost, in my opinion worth it, but it isn't my decision so hey ho..

Back
Top Bottom