The General Chat Thread (2024)

Blimey I did not realise how tired I am.
Slept until after 8am (10 hours of semi broken sleep but 10 hours all the same) got up did a couple of jobs and felt overwhelmingly tired again.

Lay back down at about 11am and woke up 2 1/2 hours later!

And I really feel I could do with going back to sleep!

I'm very lucky to have the opportunity to take a moment to recoup from life's stressors, I don't think I would have recognised it myself.
I've been running myself ragged this past week so I can relate to that! I slept some last night thankfully. The funeral was yesterday and some of the cousins, aunt, and uncle from out Western US left today. Middle daughter flies out Monday and youngest drives back to Indianapolis (6 hours away) the same day. One last cousin will probably be here until Friday and then it's peace and quiet...and the reality sets in. But I do have a lot of work to catch up on. At least I won't be doing as much cooking. Not that I minded cooking for a herd of family members but my floors in the kitchen and dining room are trashed and I have cleaned the guest bathroom 2x over the past 5 days. Maybe Tuesday I can get my floors vacuumed and mopped!

Rabbits have to gnaw all the time to keep their teeth in check. Their teeth grow continually. If they get too long, they'll starve and die. Even wild rabbits do this and your's will be no different, you just won't be aware of it.

There's a fascinating book called "the private life of Mr Rabbit" that goes into extensive detail on rabbits and their physiology. Did you know that rabbits are one of the very few species that when pregnant, if the conditions become unfavourable to the survival of the litter, can re-absorb the foetuses and not give birth. It saves energy and resources when fire or other disasters or just unfavourable conditions occur.
Yeah but it sure makes me glad my car is parked in the garage! My DH parks on a patch gravel on the side of the house. I did know that they, like groundhogs, have to gnaw, but not know that about the absorption of fetuses in rabbits. Pretty amazing!

Yeah but it sure makes me glad my car is parked in the garage! My DH parks on a patch gravel on the side of the house. I did know that they, like groundhogs, have to gnaw, but not know that about the absorption of fetuses in rabbits. Pretty amazing!
Our problem came about because adult rabbits couldn't get under the car. Thus in the bullying society that rabbit society is, the smallest rabbits found sanctuary under the vehicle and could also eat grass under the vehicle without adults bullying them. But they still needed to gnaw to keep their teeth in check. As I said in the original post, the situation happened after several years of this.

That said, our replacement vehicle was parked in a rabbit proof pen that was low enough to step over easily (as in swing your leg up and over) but high enough to stop rabbits jumping over. We also laid a wire mesh under the soil around the perimeter to stop them digging, but the fence itself had to be completely removable because of large vehicles needing to turn around at the top of our track. (All the surrounding land was marshland and peat bogs, so anything straying off the track just sank (which happened every 3 months on average for the entire 12 years we lived there.))

Believe it or not...
Some 30 years ago, I was working with an international company trying to get our local telephone company up to scratch. we had a tech guy from Puerto Rico, who wanted to see the cables in the basement. They'd been chewed to heck by rats. He wouldn't believe me until I set a rat trap, and caught two of them.

I've been running myself ragged this past week so I can relate to that! I slept some last night thankfully. The funeral was yesterday and some of the cousins, aunt, and uncle from out Western US left today. Middle daughter flies out Monday and youngest drives back to Indianapolis (6 hours away) the same day. One last cousin will probably be here until Friday and then it's peace and quiet...and the reality sets in. But I do have a lot of work to catch up on. At least I won't be doing as much cooking. Not that I minded cooking for a herd of family members but my floors in the kitchen and dining room are trashed and I have cleaned the guest bathroom 2x over the past 5 days. Maybe Tuesday I can get my floors vacuumed and mopped!

It's lovely to have family around you and totally exhausting when you're the provider of the catering, care and all domestic duties.

It sounds to me like you do an amazing job. A matriarch who should be celebrated. The glue that keeps things together.
Someone with command of the ship who does it with such care no-one really notices the even keel they're being provided with.

If you're good at it (as you clearly are) often the people who are on the receiving end can never really properly say thank-you because they don't comprehend how much work it takes.
So hat's off to you, I'll say thankyou on behalf of every person who really understands what you're doing 🎩 🤗

Our mosquito season is open.
I have a big sting on my back from 2 d ago. Luckily I have an effective gel to treat it, stops the itching within seconds.
And 2 sprays for outdoors.

What is the active ingredient in the gel?
Dimetindenmaleat. Written in the local spelling. Possibly not easily recognizable.
Let me find a pharmacy leaflet for it.

The gel's name is Belodin A derm. If that is of any help.

Ok, so it is explained as Dimetindene, a maletic acid salt,i.e.dimethindene maleate.

Last edited:
Dimetindenmaleat. Written in the local spelling. Possibly not easily recognizable.
Let me find a pharmacy leaflet for it.

The gel's name is Belodin A derm. If that is of any help.

Ok, so it is explained as Dimetindene, a maletic acid salt,i.e.dimethindene maleate.
Ah a topical antihistamine with neutralising acids. Well thats the theory behind them.
I've never found a bite thing that really worked for me. The zapper is the closest thing I've found to relief but I'm pretty sure it's because the mini shocks it give mimic scratching and I enjoy that! 😂

https://www.amazon.co.uk/ZAP-IT-Mos...153071&sprefix=bit+zapper,aps,176&sr=8-7&th=1

they are absolutely famous for going gunky.
wipe clean, rewipe with weak chlorine solution - rewipe every wash . . .
we never got rid of the stains - it was clean, but stained . . .
and then we replaced it with a top loader....
Yup, we've had three front-loaders (two were provided by military while we were overseas, and one we bought here in the US), and that was the drill, even mentioned in the owner's manual for the Bosch we had here, we had to sponge up the little bit of water that collected, then spray it with a 10% bleach solution, then wipe it dry...and it stayed stained.

Front-loaders were/are something of a fad or trend here, sort of a status symbol, but top-loaders are quite common, probably because they're generally cheaper as well. We eventually replaced the front-loader with a top-loader, and between the two types, I prefer the top-loader, if for no other reason, it's easier to get the clothes in and out - even on a pedestal to raise them up several inches, it's still a lot of stooping over and reaching in the back for that last sock. Makes me wish they made a top-load clothes dryer!

We went for a walk, and I did not put my trainers on, but the plastic Bircks, as it is still 28c, and I had a bad step over bigger rocks, and my right ankle said Nooo, kaboom, and I fell on my left knee, to top it off.
I walked back to the car, but felt some warmth, not pain, but a spreading uncomfortable feeling, so now I rest my foot on 4 pillows, and the frozen surimi( unopened) serve as ice. Until the actual ice forms in a bag I just put in the freezer.

Ah well...I told my boyfriend, you had a number of falls and minor injuries, now its my turn.😄🤭

I hope I can walk tomorrow, I need to take my Dad to his doctor. We shall see.

Back
Top Bottom