The General Chat Thread (2024)

But it's a room! Some thought was given to the space needed to make life easier.
The house I grew up in had it all in the basement - one room with washer and dryer, furnace, water heater, water softener (eventually), sump pump, a full-sized chest freezer, and two dining room-sized tables for folding clothes, plus a rack on wheels for hanging things up.

The house I grew up in had it all in the basement - one room with washer and dryer, furnace, water heater, water softener (eventually), sump pump, a full-sized chest freezer, and two dining room-sized tables for folding clothes, plus a rack on wheels for hanging things up.
Lovely! Here a lot of houses are what we call two up two down, meaning there are two rooms upstairs and two downstairs and that's your lot!

Lovely! Here a lot of houses are what we call two up two down, meaning there are two rooms upstairs and two downstairs and that's your lot!
We positively loved our second house in the UK, it was a dream (for us) - I would have gladly bought it and lived there the rest of my life.

First one…not so much, though it wasn’t that bad, and the neighbor had the habit of running out into the back garden topless to get a bra from the line, so it had that going for it! :laugh:

Anyway, back to laundry, one of those forgotten memories that this has popped up: there were six of us kids, and when Mom would fold the clothes, she’d take hers and Dad’s up to their bedroom, but it was up to us to fetch our own and put them away.

A couple/few times a week, we’d have to stick our heads in the laundry room, and there on one of the tables, laid out like a solitaire card game…six neat columns of folded clothes - pants, then shirts, then undershirts, then underpants, then socks, a column for each of us kids, arranged oldest on the far left, youngest (me) on the far right.

General Chatter:
This week, DH & I went to my grandparents grave as well as his parents grave to pay our respect and I left flowers.
At both locations, we had a heck of a time opening the in-ground flower vases (not sure if that's the correct terminology ...).
While at his parents grave-site, it took me forever to open the vase, but I'm a very determined (aka stubborn) person and if I want to do something, I'll do it, DANG IT!!!
DH was over-whelmed with emotion, I know, but didn't let on, until we went to leave and he 'said' to his parents, "I love you Mom & Dad, you would have loved my wife to pieces".
AWWW!
He said that he appreciated that we had done this.

He said that he appreciated that we had done this.
It’s a very nice sentiment. 🥰

We always stop in a “visit” MrsT’s folks when we’re in Florida (Winter Haven) - their remains are in a columbarium there, which (and I don’t mean any disrespect in saying this) is sort of like pay respects to a post office box.

This will sound horrible…all my family around here, buried within eight miles of where I grew up - I’d be hard-pressed to find their graves! I know what cemeteries they’re all buried in, but I haven’t been to any of them since their various services, and my grandad, I missed his funeral, as well as one of my uncles, so I’d have to go on a hunt for them.

We always stop in a “visit” MrsT’s folks when we’re in Florida (Winter Haven) - their remains are in a columbarium there, which (and I don’t mean any disrespect in saying this) is sort of like pay respects to a post office box.

This will sound horrible…all my family around here, buried within eight miles of where I grew up - I’d be hard-pressed to find their graves! I know what cemeteries they’re all buried in, but I haven’t been to any of them since their various services, and my grandad, I missed his funeral, as well as one of my uncles, so I’d have to go on a hunt for them.
I think thats ok. Well it's okay by my standards. You know them and enjoy them when they are alive and you think fondly of them (or not 😆) when you think of them.
Going to a funeral or to a specific spot to say hi and goodbye works well for some people, for others it's not necessary.

I'm so glad that on each "visit", I had brought along a pair of sturdy scissors to actually trim the ends of the flowers that I have bought. What they came in most handy for was
a) trimming away all of the grass in/around the in-ground vases
b) digging out the dirt and muck in that hole
c) giving each of the head stones a "hair cut" ... it was very clear that no one has been visiting the graves. DH & I had went the past time we were home, 5 years ago, and it was the same. We both have relatives still living here on Oahu, but, well ...
I never got to meet DH's parents as we did not find each other until later in life and they had already passed. So I always "talk" to them when we've gone. I send DH off to take care of the litter we create so that I can have a private moment with them. This time told them about what had been happening in the last 5 years and I promised to good care of their son.
Now stop it! You're making me cry again....

My folks are about 150 miles away in the small town cemetery where they grew up. I don't have any memorable connection to the community other than we would visit occasionally when I was small. Still mostly French speaking. I haven't gone since the funerals. I don't really see the point. I remember them here in this home town and I live in their house. And, it's just a stone, really. Although, my brother goes occasionally and says you can still get fried pork roast and baked beans with your eggs for breakfast at the local diner..

As we drove away from DH's parent grave-site, he said that they should not have been buried in Hawaii but in their hometown back in Pennsylvania.
I disagreed, they both got to life out the last of their lives in place that they truly loved, and are still here today.

As we drove away from DH's parent grave-site, he said that they should not have been buried in Hawaii but in their hometown back in Pennsylvania.
I disagreed, they both got to life out the last of their lives in place that they truly loved, and are still here today.
That was a big point of contention with my in-laws - they’d retired to Florida about 10 years before my FIL died, and when they’d bought the columbarium spots, a couple of the kids were very upset.

One wanted them buried in their “hometown” - I say it that way because while they’d lived there 50 years, neither parent was from there originally. It’s just where he ended up getting his job.

The other wanted them buried where she was living - somewhere they’d only ever visited. Her only real argument for that was that her family could look after their graves, but being in a columbarium, there’s no grave. It was more about it being more convenient for her to visit.

It got really ugly for a while, until her dad said it was done, decided, and shut up about it - and even when he died, one still tried to work an angle to get him buried near her, and again when her mom died.

Don't feel bad. Last time I went to North Carolina, my uncle, who lived locally, had us walking all over several cemetaries looking for their parent's grave site, as well as several uncles, aunts, cousins because he forgot exactly where they were. My dad, who was the oldest brother and was in early 70s then, sat the last few out until we found them.

I can't remember which time it was that we were back home in Hawaii, but I had gone to each of the cemeteries that we have relatives at and got maps as to where each of them are from their I guess business offices you'd call them.
Before we left this year, I took a photograph of each so that we could easily find them again.
Even after five years, once we got to each of the memorial parks as they like to be called now, I pretty much remembered where they were.

DH & I agreed many years ago that we wanted to be cremated and have or ashed scattered at our favorite beach on Oahu Hawaii.
We still have our GSD's ashes that we kept with us all these years and when we go, he'll come with us even then.
My Mother has signed up with a company that does medical research on cadavers, and then cremates them and you have the choice of returning your ashes to loved ones or they will scatter you at Sea. This is all at no charge to you or your family.

I doubt there’s been a house built here in the last 60 years that didn’t include at least one en-suite bathroom (usually called a master bathroom), associated with the biggest (again, master) bedroom.

In our house (which I’m tempted to say is a “bog standard” one :laugh: ), the master bedroom has an attached bathroom, and the second bathroom is off the main hallway…directly across from one of the two guest rooms, meaning that while it’s not connected to the bedroom, it’s actually closer to it than the master bathroom is closer to bed in the master bedroom.

Usually, the master bathroom is also nicer than the one for everyone else, but in our house, both bathrooms are identical - just a tub-shower, toilet, and sink. Nothing special by any means.
The house we live in now only has an indoor toilet because the farmer's wide and daughter won the argument when he was building the house. 1 toilet, 3 bedrooms, 2 people. But the toilet is separate to the bathroom.

The last place we were in only acquired an indoor toilet in 2001. Prior to that you not only had to leave the bedroom, but also the house at night if you wanted to pee.

Back
Top Bottom