The General Chat Thread (2024)

Lovely! Here a lot of houses are what we call two up two down, meaning there are two rooms upstairs and two downstairs and that's your lot!
Well not far off that here but a small galley kitchen as well as the 2 downstairs living rooms (one of which is currently used by me as a bedroom). Mid terrace Victorian and it has an attic floor too and a large somewhat damp cellar. It does have two bathrooms although one is a very grotty damp extension downstairs. Given my recent mobility issues it has been great to have a downstairs toilet as I can't make it up stairs.

Last edited:
Given my recent mobility issues it has been great to have a downstairs toilet as I can't make it up stairs.
Apparently I have missed a lot, I only caught the thread's Mar/April posts today, with your surgeries and other issues...so sorry you had to suffer that much.
Are the recent mobility issues related to those? Forgive me for asking, if you don't wish to talk, I will understand.
Hoping you have no pain or that the pain is sufficiently managable...
Sending good wishes and positive thoughts your way🩵

The house we live in now only has an indoor toilet because the farmer's wide and daughter won the argument when he was building the house. 1 toilet, 3 bedrooms, 2 people. But the toilet is separate to the bathroom.

The last place we were in only acquired an indoor toilet in 2001. Prior to that you not only had to leave the bedroom, but also the house at night if you wanted to pee.
The one thing that was unusual (for us) about the UK houses…both houses had the bedrooms upstairs, and that’s where the one (small) bathroom was.

Sure, it made sense at night, getting up for a pee at 1:45AM, but during the day, it was a huge annoyance.

I think maybe our houses there could be described as 2 down 3 up, as each had a living/front room downstairs, along with the kitchen, then three bedrooms and a bathroom upstairs.

The house I grew up in was opposite of the American standard - main bathroom was the larger one, with a full tub, while the bathroom associated with the biggest bedroom was a very small one, with the toilet and sink crammed so closely together, you had to almost climb over the sink to use the toilet, and a very small shower kit instead of a tub.

When I was a kid, we’d visit my dad’s family in Kentucky…outhouse, and well away from the house, so they still used chamber pots (“slop jars” in the local vernacular) for your nightly business, and I’d hold going to the bathroom as long as I could either way, because the path to the outhouse was fraught with spiders and snakes (especially blowing vipers - non-venomous but quite terrifying in their behavior). I’d pee anywhere outside except for the outhouse!

Blimey I did not realise how tired I am.
Slept until after 8am (10 hours of semi broken sleep but 10 hours all the same) got up did a couple of jobs and felt overwhelmingly tired again.

Lay back down at about 11am and woke up 2 1/2 hours later!

And I really feel I could do with going back to sleep!

I'm very lucky to have the opportunity to take a moment to recoup from life's stressors, I don't think I would have recognised it myself.

I highly recommend getting a wristband (like FitBit, or like the cheap knockoff I use, AmazFit). I bought it originally to count steps, but they do so much more these days. In this case, it's great for tracking how much you sleep. Take a look at this from a few weeks ago: I went to bed at 1:23 am and got up at 8:44 am. That's 7 hours and 21 minutes of sleep, right? Wrong. I didn't realize how many times I wake up on some days. And, my deep sleep - the sleep that restores you - was only 13 minutes of that.

In my case, it's usually just bad habits that cut into my quality sleep. Sometimes, when I'm congested, I wake up frequently without realizing it. In my brother's case, he found out he had sleep apnea. He has a breathing machine now, and he sleeps a lot better.

And, if nothing else, it's interesting to see what your heartrate is over the course of the day. That time when you got upset about something? Yes...it will show you.

sleep.gif

And when you know all of that, you get upset, your heartbeat goes up, blood pressure rises....
And you see that and you get more upset...
BP through the roof....

In other words: no thanks.

But as always: each to their own, it's just not for me

I highly recommend getting a wristband (like FitBit, or like the cheap knockoff I use, AmazFit). I bought it originally to count steps, but they do so much more these days. In this case, it's great for tracking how much you sleep. Take a look at this from a few weeks ago: I went to bed at 1:23 am and got up at 8:44 am. That's 7 hours and 21 minutes of sleep, right? Wrong. I didn't realize how many times I wake up on some days. And, my deep sleep - the sleep that restores you - was only 13 minutes of that.

In my case, it's usually just bad habits that cut into my quality sleep. Sometimes, when I'm congested, I wake up frequently without realizing it. In my brother's case, he found out he had sleep apnea. He has a breathing machine now, and he sleeps a lot better.

And, if nothing else, it's interesting to see what your heartrate is over the course of the day. That time when you got upset about something? Yes...it will show you.

View attachment 115251
They are really popular and I think a useful tool for a lot of people but I'm one of the odd ones that has no interest in it!

I know why I was exhausted and if there's a watch that can take care of other family members I'm sold! 😆

I have used the ECG and pulse oximeter function on my apple watch once and I had to charge first because I never wear it.
At the time I had chest pain but it turned out I've just never had indigestion before 😂

I absolutely hated the 'goal rings' that tell you to move n try to close the rings. When they first did the update you couldn't switch them off! So I set my goal to 5 steps and got congratulated for closing the fitness ring by going for a pee when I woke up. Pleased me no end that did 😆

... no interest . . {{Fitbit, et.al.}}
indeed. it's just like the neo-nutrition-healthy-lifestyle-eat-this-not-that nonsense.
we walk every day. roughly a mile - with it's ups and downs.
it is absurd to think counting steps and somehow arranging your life to do 10,000 steps in a day is (a) realistic (b) helpful, in any way (c) worth any consideration. just neo-nutcase-fitness "experts" on the loose . . .

same with the eat-this-not-that, neo-dummies.
eating a varied diet is just fine.
if you survive on 'fast food' 4-5-6 days a week , , , , yeah that's a problem....

I do a mean home-made "egg McMuffin with sausage&cheese" - now and then. it's fresh, super more better than anything from 'the Arches' that been sitting under heat lamps for . . . Bay's muffin, Bob Evans sausage, American cheese . . . nothing "healthy" about any of that . . .

we do home-made pizza time to time. it's absolutely no healthier than Pizza Hut / Domino's / frozen....
(potentially less 'chemicals' as yet to be identified as deadly, but . . . )

we harken back to the 60's and get an Italian giant size sub from Jersey Mike - no, it's not "healthy" - piled with cured/dried meats, lots of oil and dressing . . . but it's like once a month.

basically if you eat right, there's nothing fatal about the odd treat.
if your standard breakfast is three donuts and coffee.... not such a good thing....

Back
Top Bottom