The General Chat Thread (2024)

And when you know all of that, you get upset, your heartbeat goes up, blood pressure rises....
And you see that and you get more upset...
BP through the roof....

In other words: no thanks.

But as always: each to their own, it's just not for me
Yeah. I fall into that category.

I have turned off the ability of my phone to track how many steps I take. I reached the conclusion I don't carry my phone around enough for it to even record a third of the steps I take, so I figured anything tracking my sleep would be equally useless.
I liked it for a while when it would tell me 3 or 4 hours AFTER I'd got up it looked like I was awake 😆

They don't take into account some people aren't addicted to their phones and just leave them wherever 😂

I track my steps, (some of) my food, and my sleep because all of those equal money paid into my medical spending account by my employer.

I get 3 points for 5,000 steps/day, 5 points for 7,000, and 10 points for 10,000. 10 points if I track my sleep, 10 points if I track at least 1,500 calories.

375 points = $25 paid into my account, and I can earn up to $800/year…free money. I also can earn points for other health-related things, like getting my flu shot, getting a yearly physical, going to the dentist at least once, etc.

I always earn my max. I’m doing better this year over last with my walking, but I still want to bump it up:

IMG_8615.png

Oh dear! Does that mean cold showers?
It started by me thinking I could do cold showers, but on the second day I started heating water in my electric water heating kettle.(I forget the proper name of the device, sorry)😄
So now its a bucket of tepid water, mixed of boiling and cold water, and a bowl to pour...

Hair rinse have to do under lots of running, hence cold water...but it is managable. Luckily it is summer...

You don't have water heaters in your homes?
Some people have, I don't. For the most part, if connected to the hood heating plant, one does not need one. I live in an large building with plenty of flats.

There are parts of the hood with older houses, that are not hooked to the plant , so by default they have a water heater, either electric or gas. E.g.my ex husband has one, my daughter's Dad, so prior to the vacay she took showers there.

It does occur once or twice a year that a repair at the plant is needed. This 3 week ginormous repair happens very rarely, once in my 7 years living here, and if done properly, possibly not likely the next 10 years. Hopefully.

My boyfriend lives in a house with his parents and his son some 25 km from me, in a smaller town, or nearby the town. They have a heater.

It is a bit odd, but one gets used to it. I can take as many showers I need, yesterday I took 4. A bit more prep, but it is not much longer than the usual shower. I use the electric kettle to boil some water, cool it down with cold water in a bucket and then use a bowl to pour.

Almost like time travel to 19th century.😃I guess.

Steps, right. My boyfriend and I installed the same " Fit" app, and track and compare them.
He seems to be motivated by the numeric value.
It is fine and rewarding, I agree, but the inner feeling in my muscles tells me pretty much the same.
Of course, data is data. Trackable, suitable for statistics, great.

I'd love a good running app, but I don' t like glueing my phone to my forearm in the plastic wrapper holder...anyways...will look for a functional one for my joggs.

I am more concerned with regularly finding time to jogg, then the data.

He also tracks his sleep and blood pressure and all sorts of data...I don't. At least not for now.
Unsure if I could fall asleep thinking I'm being measured...

On the other hand, he tends to forget to take his supplements, so I remind him. And also mostly get them for him. We were very happy how well the Magnesium made him feel.

He does not use his phone for that...

To each his,her own , I suppose...

I track my steps, (some of) my food, and my sleep because all of those equal money paid into my medical spending account by my employer.

I get 3 points for 5,000 steps/day, 5 points for 7,000, and 10 points for 10,000. 10 points if I track my sleep, 10 points if I track at least 1,500 calories.

375 points = $25 paid into my account, and I can earn up to $800/year…free money. I also can earn points for other health-related things, like getting my flu shot, getting a yearly physical, going to the dentist at least once, etc.

I always earn my max. I’m doing better this year over last with my walking, but I still want to bump it up:

View attachment 115282
Honestly I'd give up $800 to not be tracked by my employer off the clock.
I find it rude and intrusive that little carrots are held out to make you comply.
IMO you give enough on the their clock to be left alone off it.
But I get it, if you're doing it anyway why not have the gift?!
Still I don't think I can get past the big brotherness of it!

ps I've had two gins, statements maybe bolder than usual 😂

View attachment 115282

Because I don't carry my phone around the house with me, it doesn't register my steps.

All I can see that would make me do, is sit there faking steps my moving my phone up and down accordingly!

Because I don't carry my phone around the house with me, it doesn't register my steps.

All I can see that would make me do, is sit there faking steps my moving my phone up and down accordingly!
I’m more likely to carry my phone around when I’m working toward my money, but once I hit that $800, I don’t carry it nearly as much. I still do my usual walking, but since it’s not counting toward that, I don’t worry about the phone so much.

I’ve noticed, oddly, when I’m riding the mower, that counts as walking! :laugh:

I’ve noticed, oddly, when I’m riding the mower, that counts as walking! :laugh:
that will be the jarring ride. I wonder if driving the potholes on our gravel road or the corrugations would trigger it.

I would get to the end of the day for the app to tell me I'd only taken 154 steps that day and I'd want to correct the app: I've only taken 154 steps CARRYING THE BL***Y PHONE. So it was uninstalled.

Timenspace I understand that using cool/cold water is good for your hair.
If I were using a cup or bucket say leaning over a sink, I kinda like cold water hair washes.
Cold water showers I've gotten use to here in Hawaii. We have showers at the beach to wash off the sand and salt water, very invigorating. I like to watch the looks on the tourists faces the first time they go to shower off at the beach - the air does turn a bit "blue" some times :laugh:

good for your hair.
😁😁thank you. Hair and feet is fine...for me...
It is very beneficial, with the Wim Hof and lots of science behind it.
It would take me a lot of time to get me showered cold throughout...I am the same with swimming in colder water...it takes me ages to get in...half an hour or more of splashing and preparing...and sometimes with an inernal or external scream or sigh...I manage or not😄...

Its been 5 waking hours since I moved to get things done around my Dad's hormonal therapy. Done. Plus an admin mess up that I just resolved as well, it involved me alon going to the Gp and back to the hospital. So now after my coffee and Kipferl, in the park, lovely breezy spot, I just need to bring the papers back to my parents' home.

And then on with the wardrobe revamping.

In the evening, I meed to call the lady for the unresolved cottage issues.
20240628_112029.jpg
20240628_112349.jpg
20240628_112634.jpg
20240628_113200.jpg

Back
Top Bottom