The General Chat Thread (2024)

But, they can still be bought if you are willing to purjure yourself and sign a document stating you are taking them out of state.
That’s how it is here, and it’s not enforced at all, except maybe if you set your house or yourself on fire, insurance wouldn’t cover you.

Here’s what’s just up the road from me. Have a perusal to see what’s for sale to blast off in your own back yard:

America's #1 Fireworks Retailer | Phantom Fireworks

I have to laugh at the online 3D display builder. :laugh:

"fireworks" have "classes"
sigh.... state/local/Federal 'definitions' are (a) different and (b) inconsistent....

ATF made bunches of stuff one could - in the past - buy openly - "illegal-at-the-Federal lever",,, including:
"These include, but are not limited to, M-80s, M-100s, quarter sticks, cherry bombs, and silver salutes."

anymore, most states limit consumers to "sparklers" . . .

1719771090448.jpeg

When we had our first litter of pups back in the mists of time the Kennel Club Assured Breeder Scheme comes with an ENORMOUS list of things to familiarise the puppies with before they leave.
So I had a dog sounds desensitisation CD which you played every day at increasing volume so they wouldn’t be frightened later on.

It worked brilliantly. So well they don’t bat an eyelid at a whole range of really quite horrible noises. In fact they often slept through it 😂
Unfortunately they left off the sound of a drill and that seems to scare the cr*p out of them!

Anyway obviously it’s going to be far more effective on puppies malleable unformed brains but apparently it can work wonders on older dogs too.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Desensitisation-Training-Fireworks-Sensitive-Recommended/dp/B005LFOVWW

They now have things called Thunder Vests for dogs. They supposedly are like swaddling an infant to make it feel more secure and better able to tolerate loud noises. They have been heavily advertised on TV the last couple of weeks. No idea whether they work or not. The pugs, actually the male mostly, aren't bothered by thunder, fireworks per se, just any loud noise, garbage trucks, even from the TV, so no point in us trying them as he runs too hot to wear one all the time.

They now have things called Thunder Vests for dogs. They supposedly are like swaddling an infant to make it feel more secure and better able to tolerate loud noises. They have been heavily advertised on TV the last couple of weeks. No idea whether they work or not. The pugs, actually the male mostly, aren't bothered by thunder, fireworks per se, just any loud noise, garbage trucks, even from the TV, so no point in us trying them as he runs too hot to wear one all the time.
I had a friend with a Chesapeake retriever who had one for her dog. That was about 8 years ago? It worked well for her dog.

My daughter dreams of having a pet dog. She saved towards a part of the price. So possibly, this autumn she will be getting one, but the deal is: at her Dad's house and yard. Not in our flat. Dad has much more time to care for the dog, more space. She will care for it to, and be responsible to always have saved money for vet check ups. She wants to be a grown up and responsible person. So now let's see. I will aid financially to the purchase.

It would be the first dog pet for her ever. She adores dogs. She walks her friend's dog and loves her dearly. This is the dog reserved for her, so she wrote from the correspondence with the breeder.

School is still a priority, so hopefully all turns out well.
🙏
IMG-20240630-WA0015.jpg

A storm hit the neighbouting country and some parts of our country earlier this afternoon. The storm acted very segmented. My neighbourhood luckily got , as far as I know up to know, no severe damage. The wind was strong in gusts and some rain. Not longer than an hour.

But the city I work in, got flooded. At some parts car tires are 15 cm in water. And it is only 28 km or so away from me.

SLovenia apparently had hail. The border of which is not more than 40 km away from me, to the west.

Prognosis is the next 5 hours lots of rain and thunder. So far it got darker, windier, but the clouds flew further within 20 minutes. The rain is not as heavy now. It even seems to have stopped right now, 2 minutes ago. Peculiar.

We have been traumatized by a storm ripping trees out of the ground and breaking branches left and right. Not long ago. I hope it does not escalate.

It is somewhat cooler, 20c or so...

In comparison to last summer, what I gatheted so far, was not that devastating. Rain was almost autumnal , long and slow the whole night, I could hear.

Hail came to other cities here too.

My boyfriend and I texted, he lost electrical power around 10 pm. As a tree fell off and broke the cables. Blocked a road. Firefighters were out doing removal. He could see their sirens from his upper floor. The power was not back as he went to work this morning. So 7 hours and counting. Fridge/freezer...ugh.

It is not raining now.

There were some tram traffic interruptions, some roofs flying...but it seems to me, not to the extent it was a year ago.

Will update.

Back
Top Bottom