The General Chat Thread (2024)

Apologies for not being here for a while. Got distracted but am back. Will check to see if i have old couscous recipes as i cannot currently eat the item without much pain. My dental appointment won't happen for a couple of months. Small little pebbles of particles lodge in one of my molars and this also means no rice, no farro, and no breaded foods. Probably no corn on the cob, either.
Good to see you back. I've missed you!

I can't decide if they're destined to be celebrated because they can't possibly be worse than the previous milksop or destined to epically fail because people will have expectations
The change was more than inevitable and well overdue. Let's see what happens in the next 12 months.

I started university lectures yesterday. Today we went out and bought a new desk. I was doing fine on the table right up until I got my books out and tried to actually study, target than watch videos/ lectures. I now have an electronic height adjustable desk that allows me to sit or stand as needed...

I guess I'm going to be on CB a little less than usual for a few weeks whilst I work out a routine and get used to studying again!

I started university lectures yesterday.
Congrats!

Re the desk: when MrsT started working from home (self-employed), she insisted on having a proper office, so we converted the third bedroom over to that.

Officey frosted glass shelves for various travel pubs and things, frosted glass table for additional workspace, a frosted glass L-shaped desk-like thing, big office chair, printer stand, file cabinets, business telephone line…it’s a proper office in every way.

Me, I’d been working from home most of each week since 2007, and my “office” was me plopped on the sofa with my laptop on my lap. That was it.

Anyway, I don’t know how it happened (well, I think I do, but that’s another story), but nowadays, it’s completely reversed - she works from the living room, recliner pushed back, laptop in her lap, and a mountain of papers stacked on the floor around her, and I’ve somehow ended up in the office…which is also full of her stuff! :laugh:

Enjoy your studies!

I’ve posted one or two mentions over the last couple of summers of a mysterious cat who likes to stalk things in my yard.

Quite a beautiful girl, she’s actually colored up not unlike our late dog Kate - white body with splotches of black and brown.

She’s always been rather standoffish, as you’d expect, running away as soon as she sensed our presence.

I went out on the back deck yesterday to cover the barbecue grill, and she popped out of the shrubbery, then stopped and looked at me.

I said hello, and she walked a couple of steps closer to me, then a pause, then a couple more.

I thought, “As soon as I throw this big black grill cover up in the air and shake it out, she’ll be gone in a flash.”

Nope. She just sat there, probably 20 feet away, and watched.

I started for the back door…and she followed me. Uh-oh…

“Hey, you know that kooky cat we see every so often? She’s back, and I think she’s still out there.”

MrsT looked outside, and the thing was right up on the back step!

I didn’t know what was going on, so I poured her out some water and found some chicken lunchmeat, and gave that to MrsT.

The cat certainly enjoyed that.

I went back inside, and MrsT sat out and petted her for a few minutes, then circled around to the front of the house and came in that way, and the cat followed right along, then curled up on our welcome mat!

She wasn’t there when we went to bed, but I was half-afraid to look out the front door this morning. Didn’t see her, though.

She obviously belongs to someone, she’s well fed, very clean and healthy-looking.

I’ve posted one or two mentions over the last couple of summers of a mysterious cat who likes to stalk things in my yard.

Quite a beautiful girl, she’s actually colored up not unlike our late dog Kate - white body with splotches of black and brown.

She’s always been rather standoffish, as you’d expect, running away as soon as she sensed our presence.

I went out on the back deck yesterday to cover the barbecue grill, and she popped out of the shrubbery, then stopped and looked at me.

I said hello, and she walked a couple of steps closer to me, then a pause, then a couple more.

I thought, “As soon as I throw this big black grill cover up in the air and shake it out, she’ll be gone in a flash.”

“Hey, you know that kooky cat we see every so often? She’s back, and I think she’s still out there.”

I didn’t know what was going on, so I poured her out some water and found some chicken lunchmeat, and gave that to MrsT.

I went back inside, and MrsT sat out and petted her for a few minutes, then circled around to the front of the house and came in that way, and the cat followed right along, then curled up on our welcome mat!

She wasn’t there when we went to bed, but I was half-afraid to look out the front door this morning. Didn’t see her, though.

She obviously belongs to someone, she’s well fed, very clean and healthy-looking.
I don't know. The Cat Distribution System might have picked you guys for the next victim lucky people.

I don't know. The Cat Distribution System might have picked you guys for the next victim lucky people.

We have a stray cat that sometimes comes into our backyard sometimes. The chipmunk population has decreased significantly. I am fine with that. DH won't let me feed the cat, though. I guess that's a good thing because she might decide to adopt us!

We have a stray cat that sometimes comes into our backyard sometimes. The chipmunk population has decreased significantly. I am fine with that. DH won't let me feed the cat, though. I guess that's a good thing because she might decide to adopt us!
Yer that does happen doesn’t it.
When I was about 15 I found a litter of starving flea ridden kittens abandoned in the hedge.
Gladys (the likely mother) was an awesome mouse and rat catcher. So fast she could kill 5 to 6 of them before they could run away when you lifted a hay bale.
But she was a terrible mother. I think it was as much as she could do not to eat her own offspring she was that wild!

So I put them in a box and took them home.
They turned out to be exceptionally handsome cats and two of them were that beautiful blue grey colour and they were coveted by the next door neighbour who started feeding them. Billy Bunter (yes he was a thick set animal) was gone, my mum was devastated.

Heyho, that’s obviously where Billy wanted to be but it was still a bit sad!

Congrats!

Re the desk: when MrsT started working from home (self-employed), she insisted on having a proper office, so we converted the third bedroom over to that.

Officey frosted glass shelves for various travel pubs and things, frosted glass table for additional workspace, a frosted glass L-shaped desk-like thing, big office chair, printer stand, file cabinets, business telephone line…it’s a proper office in every way.

Me, I’d been working from home most of each week since 2007, and my “office” was me plopped on the sofa with my laptop on my lap. That was it.

Anyway, I don’t know how it happened (well, I think I do, but that’s another story), but nowadays, it’s completely reversed - she works from the living room, recliner pushed back, laptop in her lap, and a mountain of papers stacked on the floor around her, and I’ve somehow ended up in the office…which is also full of her stuff! :laugh:

Enjoy your studies!
Thanks.

I'm in the sitting room for 6 months of the year and the study for the rest. It is all going to be controlled by the weather.

Right now I have a corner of the sitting room., because the fire is lit.

17203057318232145379025790060931.jpg

And yes I think the plant will have to be removed. But given I'm the only one home, I don't see the point and honestly can't afford to heat the study when the sitting room is already warm from the fire.

However, once we don't need the fire, the rather chaotic study will be used.

17203058445941858783376101174657.jpg

Right now it has the other desk for the computer in there, the table that I was using which is now getting the sewing stuff off the sitting room floor, the spare chair from the sitting room which was where the desk now is, and finally a day bed in the right hand corner.

Thanks.

I'm in the sitting room for 6 months of the year and the study for the rest. It is all going to be controlled by the weather.

Right now I have a corner of the sitting room., because the fire is lit.

View attachment 115735
And yes I think the plant will have to be removed. But given I'm the only one home, I don't see the point and honestly can't afford to heat the study when the sitting room is already warm from the fire.

However, once we don't need the fire, the rather chaotic study will be used.

View attachment 115736

Right now it has the other desk for the computer in there, the table that I was using which is now getting the sewing stuff off the sitting room floor, the spare chair from the sitting room which was where the desk now is, and finally a day bed in the right hand corner.
Love a bit of creative chaos!!

Love a bit of creative chaos!!
It's a little less chaotic now...

17203283524318337471218736288873.jpg

The orchids have moved from venue the big picture to behind my sofa. They were in the very corner, so it will be better for them there.

The cheese plant which is taking over, has been moved back a touch so that the corner isn't as cramped. As has the bookshelf.

Now to carry on inside the house.

We've done both chicken coops, short of jet washing them, there's little else we can do other than to plan in case we have to keep the girls locked in. The chicken coop (mini-fowl) has remained on the verandah because in not 100% convinced that the chook who was poorly a few weeks ago is OK.

Now to start on some really bad rooms in the house!

It's a little less chaotic now...

View attachment 115737

The orchids have moved from venue the big picture to behind my sofa. They were in the very corner, so it will be better for them there.

The cheese plant which is taking over, has been moved back a touch so that the corner isn't as cramped. As has the bookshelf.

Now to carry on inside the house.

We've done both chicken coops, short of jet washing them, there's little else we can do other than to plan in case we have to keep the girls locked in. The chicken coop (mini-fowl) has remained on the verandah because in not 100% convinced that the chook who was poorly a few weeks ago is OK.

Now to start on some really bad rooms in the house!
Love your print? on the the wall.

Back
Top Bottom