The General Chat Thread (2024)

Here on Oahu, parents will enroll their children in City programs called Summer Fun.
Tons of fun actually, I was a "group leader" for several summers while I was in high school and in college.
These programs are for kids K-8th grade.
Every day that we've been at the beach, there's been several groups spending maybe 3 hours at the beach.

summer fun.jpg

It sounded like the Siege of Wilmington last night, what with all the fireworks going off in every direction. 🎇

Oh wow. Was it a summer festival opening, or did I miss a post or a thread...?
When July 4th is on a weekday, towns will sometimes have fireworks the weekend before and/or after the holiday. There is a month-long fair near me that ends on July 4th. They do fireworks the last 3–4 nights leading up to the holiday. July 4th has the biggest and longest show.

towns will sometimes have fireworks the weekend before and/or after the holiday.
What a thrill! It is wonderful so much emphasis is put on the holiday, and has been/is being kept alive for that many years!
Do you find a lot of people are annoyed by the fireworks' noise or it's just ok with everyone?

They’re legal to buy here
Oh I see. It is the effect the fireworks create, not so much the historical meaning of the holiday...
If I am not mistaken, fireworks are legal here, too. Albeit expensive, for the general culture...
But we do get sufficient fireworks for NY's eve...and days before and after...not too disturbing this year though. I recall it not messing with my sleep.

Do you find a lot of people are annoyed by the fireworks' noise or it's just ok with everyone?
I think it annoys a fair amount of people, especially pet owners, because a lot of animals are really terrified of all the racket, but there’s no way it’ll ever change. It’s just too popular, and as long as they can be easily bought, people are going to buy them and shoot them off.

Mainly, it’s just that people are bonkers for fireworks. They’re legal to buy here, so people will be blasting them off all week.
In New Jersey, “sparklers”. Sticks or fountains are legal. NO firecrackers or projectiles (lady fingers, bottle rockets and roman candles were my favorites years ago), they are still a NO NO.
Have to go to PA or Canal street (China town in New York) to get those.
Years ago we got some when we drove to FLA. South of the Border (on the border of the Carolinas) has a HUGE fireworks store.

Anything that shoots up into the air more than a few feet are illegal here, other than for professionals. But, they can still be bought if you are willing to purjure yourself and sign a document stating you are taking them out of state. So, we still get the neighborhood big booms, plus the little firecracker noises, which drive the pugs crazy.

When we lived on the lake before we downsized, some idiot across from us decided to shoot ariel fireworks over the lake. Unfortunately, they overshot the lake and exploded right over our back yard, and back room of our house. Our malamute/golden retriever happened to be outside doing her business when the first one exploded. Scared her half to death with the noise, the gunpowder smell, and the ashes raining down. I ended up having to call the police on them because they kept shooting them off in our direction even though we yelled across the lake for them to stop. The poor dog refused to go out later that night and the next couple of days because it was a windless couple of days and the fog of smoke and smell hadn't cleared. Poor thing was terrified of fireworks after that. Imagine a 90 something pound dog climbing in your lap and trying to hide.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom