The General Chat Thread (2024)

Yup, we've had three front-loaders (two were provided by military while we were overseas, and one we bought here in the US), and that was the drill, even mentioned in the owner's manual for the Bosch we had here, we had to sponge up the little bit of water that collected, then spray it with a 10% bleach solution, then wipe it dry...and it stayed stained.

Front-loaders were/are something of a fad or trend here, sort of a status symbol, but top-loaders are quite common, probably because they're generally cheaper as well. We eventually replaced the front-loader with a top-loader, and between the two types, I prefer the top-loader, if for no other reason, it's easier to get the clothes in and out - even on a pedestal to raise them up several inches, it's still a lot of stooping over and reaching in the back for that last sock. Makes me wish they made a top-load clothes dryer!
Ah well you all have basements and room for stand alone appliances. The tickytacky boxes of Britain mean for most people they have to go under the kitchen counter so front loading machines are a must.

I wish they made outdoor machines. I'd happily have a second washing machine if it could go outside.

I wish they made outdoor machines. I'd happily have a second washing machine if it could go outside.
Just wait ‘til your US tour…it’s not uncommon to see washers and dryers on covered porches. My parents moved their laundry appliances out to the back porch under a covered area. She loved it.

I do remember the front loaders in the UK we’re rather small - the one we bought here in 2004 was the size of a small car!

Just wait ‘til your US tour…it’s not uncommon to see washers and dryers on covered porches. My parents moved their laundry appliances out to the back porch under a covered area. She loved it.

I do remember the front loaders in the UK we’re rather small - the one we bought here in 2004 was the size of a small car!
I had one in an outhouse in my previous place and we kept one next the the milk tanks (which are covered) and they worked fine but I don't have a covered area at my house now.
In Spain the washing machines plumbed in, in the bathroom which I found odd at first but thats where you take your clothes off to shower so it actually works out pretty well.

Ah well you all have basements and room for stand alone appliances. The tickytacky boxes of Britain mean for most people they have to go under the kitchen counter so front loading machines are a must.

Tell me about it! I get envious when I see houses with 'utility rooms'. I'm not at all envious of another 'desirable' feature in the UK - the 'en-suite' bathroom. I simply don't get it. Who wants a toilet off the bedroom?! Nearby, I understand. Most useful as we get older.

Tell me about it! I get envious when I see houses with 'utility rooms'. I'm not at all envious of another 'desirable' feature in the UK - the 'en-suite' bathroom. I simply don't get it. Who wants a toilet off the bedroom?! Nearby, I understand. Most useful as we get older.
Well I fess up that I like an ensuite for a few reasons. It's nice to have your own bathroom that you don't have to share with others, it's good if you're someone who gets up to pee a lot because you don't risk waking the rest of the house and it comes into it's own if someones unwell because they can get on the loo quickly if you get my drift 💩 Plus it's easy to isolate potential cross infection risks 🤮💩 to one person if they have a dedicated bog!

But I agree it's not anywhere as near a desirable feature compared with kitchen space in the form of a utility or a large pantry.

I nannied for a family once who had a laundry room about four times the size of a normal kitchen, it was such a joy to do the laundry!

Edit: It was tiled floor and walls in large beautiful grey slate tiles and had two large washing machines, two tumble dryers and those ceiling racks on pulleys. So nice. Aah laundry room envy 😆

Ah, I am the other way around...
I live by myself and got 2 toilets, 2 showers....
Admittedly, 1 set is attached to the spare bedroom
Ah peace and quiet!
I'll admit I'm already slightly looking forward to the end of September because I'm going to come back out to Spain as soon as the Ireland tour has finished and stay out here until I get some quiet time, just me, no-one else.

I doubt there’s been a house built here in the last 60 years that didn’t include at least one en-suite bathroom (usually called a master bathroom), associated with the biggest (again, master) bedroom.

In our house (which I’m tempted to say is a “bog standard” one :laugh: ), the master bedroom has an attached bathroom, and the second bathroom is off the main hallway…directly across from one of the two guest rooms, meaning that while it’s not connected to the bedroom, it’s actually closer to it than the master bathroom is closer to bed in the master bedroom.

Usually, the master bathroom is also nicer than the one for everyone else, but in our house, both bathrooms are identical - just a tub-shower, toilet, and sink. Nothing special by any means.

…and our utility room does have the washer and dryer in it, as well as the HVAC system and the hot water tank. It’s a narrow room.

Back
Top Bottom