What’s the next kitchen item you plan to buy?

So the reluctant ice maker in our kitchen refrigerator/freezer quit working for 3 days in a row this past week, which she'd never done before (usually 1 day or 2 at the most). I ordered the countertop ice maker. The day after I received the email that it had shipped, the ice maker in the kitchen started working again, lol. New ice maker will arrive this week. Oh well!
Intermittent faults - the household appliances raison d'être 😂

This is the stick blender I bought. A snip at £14.99.

Screen Shot 2024-08-27 at 10.26.40.png

I bought some silicone baking mats that will arrive today. I go through a lot of parchment paper.
So the silicone mats arrived and they are slightly larger than my biggest sheet pan. The mats are 19.7 inches x 11.8 inches. I am guessing I need 20 x 12 at a minimum though a little bigger would be fine, but I am clueless as to what sizes baking sheets come in really and where to find them at a reasonable price. Anyone in the US can steer me in the right direction, please (also recommended brands/materials are welcome).

I went with the Nordic Ware 21 x 15 pans, I got 2 of them. I think TastyReuben stated that he has this brand and they cleanup well. I read a review stating that they are not dishwasher safe and are prone to staining, and it's best to use them with silicone mats to avoid that...since that's (using with silicone mats) one of the reasons I wanted them, it's a win win!

Last edited:
I made a pork stir fry dinner tonight in the authentic Chinese puddled steel wok I've used for the past 20 years or so. I always thought that I'd like a non stick one but non stick coatings don't stand up well to the stir fry process. While window shopping on Amazon again I encountered this.

wok.jpg

The brand name is different but considering the design and construction of this wok it was manufactured obviously in the same factory as my new hybrid skillet. So it is a known quantity. It is 12" which is a nice size and, theoretically will stand up to my stir fry tools. $39.95. It arrives early next week. I'll keep the old well seasoned puddled steel wok just in case it doesn't

So the silicone mats arrived and they are slightly larger than my biggest sheet pan. The mats are 19.7 inches x 11.8 inches. I am guessing I need 20 x 12 at a minimum though a little bigger would be fine, but I am clueless as to what sizes baking sheets come in really and where to find them at a reasonable price. Anyone in the US can steer me in the right direction, please (also recommended brands/materials are welcome).
How about using your existing baking sheets and going in this direction -
1724872607542.png

I made a pork stir fry dinner tonight in the authentic Chinese puddled steel wok I've used for the past 20 years or so. I always thought that I'd like a non stick one but non stick coatings don't stand up well to the stir fry process. While window shopping on Amazon again I encountered this.

View attachment 117945

The brand name is different but considering the design and construction of this wok it was manufactured obviously in the same factory as my new hybrid skillet. So it is a known quantity. It is 12" which is a nice size and, theoretically will stand up to my stir fry tools. $39.95. It arrives early next week. I'll keep the old well seasoned puddled steel wok just in case it doesn't
I will need a new wok in the near future. I have a Calphalon non-stick one and it's still in good working condition for now. Could you please share the brand? Also wondering if it comes in 14"? That's what size my existing one is.

I went with the Nordic Ware 21 x 15 pans, I got 2 of them. I think TastyReuben stated that he has this brand and they cleanup well. I read a review stating that they are not dishwasher safe and are prone to staining, and it's best to use them with silicone mats to avoid that...since that's one of the reasons I wanted them, it's a win win!
The most common sheet pan size for domestic kitchens is 16" X 26". It is actually called a 1/2 sheet pan in the restaurant world. The commercial kitchens use one that is twice the size. I don't know what brand my sheet pans are so I can't recommend something from experience. I have some made by Kaiser in Germany but they aren't the standard 1/2 sheet size. Your mats will fit the standard 16X26 with ease. You are probably trying to use them in a 1/4 sheet pan.

The most common sheet pan size for domestic kitchens is 16" X 26". It is actually called a 1/2 sheet pan in the restaurant world. The commercial kitchens use one that is twice the size.
Yeah my mats aren't that big, I don't need 1/2 sheet pans but thanks! I wanted pans that my mats will fit on without a lot of extra space on the sides. I appreciate the info!

Back
Top Bottom