What did you cook/eat today (April 2017)?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I heard that the H for Habitants was just a popular misunderstanding. It really just stands for hockey.

No coupe por vous! :cold:
Hockey is an English word. There is no way in hell any French Canadian would adopt an English word. lol

For some of us the debate is over! Ancil Keys has a lot to answer for, leading the world down a "saturated fat is evil/carbs and sugar are good" route, resulting in epidemic levels of obesity and type 2 diabetes. Bring on the avocados!

There's a LOT of misinformation out there. The Okinawan Study that all the vegetarians quote as proving the healthiest diet is low in saturated fat and animal products was misrepresented. It turns out that the Okinawans eat PORK every day! Pork is like their staple. So eating pork clearly isn't killing them.

I beg to differ, mon-sewer!

From Wiki:
One of sport's oldest and most recognizable logos, the classic 'C' and 'H' of the Montreal Canadiens was first used together in the 1917–18 season, when the club changed its name to "Club de hockey Canadien" from "Club athlétique Canadien",[37] before evolving to its current form in 1952–53. The "H" stands for "hockey", not "Habitants," a popular misconception.[38]

I beg to differ, mon-sewer!

From Wiki:
One of sport's oldest and most recognizable logos, the classic 'C' and 'H' of the Montreal Canadiens was first used together in the 1917–18 season, when the club changed its name to "Club de hockey Canadien" from "Club athlétique Canadien",[37] before evolving to its current form in 1952–53. The "H" stands for "hockey", not "Habitants," a popular misconception.[38]
Welcome to the quagmire that we call bilingual Canada.

There's a LOT of misinformation out there. The Okinawan Study that all the vegetarians quote as proving the healthiest diet is low in saturated fat and animal products was misrepresented. It turns out that the Okinawans eat PORK every day! Pork is like their staple. So eating pork clearly isn't killing them.
I've not come across that study - will look it up. Sounds similar to studies of both Masai and Eskimo who survive rather well on diets of mainly animal fats and without any of the health problems that are commonplace in first world nations. Let's face it, there are a lot of powerful commercial interests out there whose survival depends on selling us processed "healthy" low fat foods!

As an aside, what I cooked/ate today was pork belly. It had been brined, cold smoked and cooked for 72 hours before being frozen a few weeks ago. Thawed and flash fried, served with buttery mash, asparagus and a mustard and carob sauce. It may have been accompanied by a few glasses of claret :)

I'll give you a statistic..From 1980 until 1986 I worked as an undertaker...In that time,we buried just as many skinny people as we did fat people... somehow, everybody all ends up in the same place...
You worked as an undertaker? :eek::hyper:

Having got over that shock, I could add that I have now read so many conflicting reports about just about everything - fats, carbs, vitamins - you name it, that I'm now a confirmed sceptic. Almost none of the theories have any real long term scientific studies. The studies are almost impossible to do as would rely on thousands of people eating controlled diets in controlled environments. There is only one thing I do believe - that the placebo effect is a proven thing.

As an aside, what I cooked/ate today was pork belly. It had been brined, cold smoked and cooked for 72 hours before being frozen a few weeks ago. Thawed and flash fried, served with buttery mash, asparagus and a mustard and carob sauce. It may have been accompanied by a few glasses of claret :)

Even though I'm not a fan of fatty things this has left me drooling...

Good fat - bad fat? The debate continues. Coconut oil is the new trendy fat kid on the block. Yet it is more than 90 percent saturated fat - butter is only 64 percent saturated fat. Its a complex area and people will argue all sorts of things... I have got to an age when I eat what I want to eat. Well, I probably always did!
Yes I agree with you about coconut oil - I tried it and found it replusive i.e. tastless and greasy + the saturated fat aspect of it has always rung alarm bells with me.

Scallops and shrimps skewers today....against colesterol and grey hair :D
IMG-20170412-WA0010.jpg

I have added some sesam seeds in the breadcrumbs (homemade breadcrumbs: wholemeal crackers in the mixer with a few leaves of parsley)..and then I have grilled the skewers with a bit of EVO...:bbq:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom