What did you cook or eat today (August 2020)?

Status
Not open for further replies.
No, I'm 63 so don't remember him.
He had a night Club in Widnes. It was one of the safest venues outside Liverpool for us. We accepted the protocol of calling the club to inform them of our arrival. A no from Jim was a definite reason not to visit.

I've had an odd couple of days.

The plan on Saturday was fillet steak. However my wife decided that she wasn't going to the shops because it was raining heavily, Therefore I didn't have any yoghurt (for the sauce). Despite the rain, a mate came round and we got pished on the stoep. I ended up eating two slices of toast.

Today, another mate (yes, I have more than one) wanted to play snooker so that again cancelled the steak. I bought char siu noodles on the way home. At least my wife bought some yoghurt so maybe cook the steak tomorrow?

I added a few extra green chillis............

Very nice! I haven't had a Cuban in a long time. They are hard to find in restaurants here, so I pretty much have to make my own, which means roasting a pork butt. But, it is worth it, and the roast pork is good for other meals (see below). I use my panini press. I have it, so may as well use it.

View attachment 45311

Cuban pork with black beans and fried plantains.

View attachment 45312

CD

Can you get real Pan Cubano where you live?

Tuna fillet with rocket salad breading

Very nice! I haven't had a Cuban in a long time. They are hard to find in restaurants here, so I pretty much have to make my own, which means roasting a pork butt. But, it is worth it, and the roast pork is good for other meals (see below). I use my panini press. I have it, so may as well use it

CD

Ours was accidentally broken and we never replaced, so I put them between foil lined cookie sheets, weight with a cast iron pan, and bake at 375 for 25 minutes. I always make a lot of them, used 2 loaves of Cuban bread last night, so we have leftovers. Using the cookie sheet method saves cooking time.

This is the start of this evenings Burek Feast courtesy of the Artisan nimble fingered Mrs Blank. The first two are cheese and grated potato for me. The dough is just very strong flour, oil, water and salt. Hand kneaded for 10 minutes to release the gluten and make it rubbery. Leave it to rest for an hour. Then take a ball of dough, flour your table, flatten with the heel of your hand and start pulling. She also uses the two knuckle lift and spin, but because of the heat and flour she was doing this wearing only her knickers so no picture allowed. She then pick up with knuckles and puts on a tea towel to facilitate rolling like a swiss roll.
She then dots the curd cheese mixture (cheese, sour cream, mineral water and salt ) adds the squeezed grated potato lifts one end of the towel and rolls.
They will set up in the fridge till cooking time. Mrs Blank is going to use the wood fired oven downstairs. Temp wood mark six.

View attachment 45314

Fulvio’s Chicken Cacciatore.
My dad passed on Tuesday night. This is a weird way to announce something like this, I know. I drove to Omaha to be with my family, and decided to cook something, which is what he did for the family for most of his 88 years.

I wasn’t sure what to make. Then, as I drove there, I heard his voice say “chicken cacciatore”. I’d never made it before, but I made it today. I will probably post a recipe eventually. It was delicious and healthy, just like something he would have made. The family loved it. I feel like he taught me how to make it just now. Thanks, dad.
I'm very sorry to read this today. What a lovely testament to your dad, though; ain't in strange how the universe speaks to us sometimes? I'm sure your family appreciated it. It may seem like a small act, just cooking a meal, but it provides just a little bit of consistency in an otherwise chaotic time for your family. Well done.

The chicken looks good, too! :)

View attachment 45314

Fulvio’s Chicken Cacciatore.
My dad passed on Tuesday night. This is a weird way to announce something like this, I know. I drove to Omaha to be with my family, and decided to cook something, which is what he did for the family for most of his 88 years.

I wasn’t sure what to make. Then, as I drove there, I heard his voice say “chicken cacciatore”. I’d never made it before, but I made it today. I will probably post a recipe eventually. It was delicious and healthy, just like something he would have made. The family loved it. I feel like he taught me how to make it just now. Thanks, dad.
Sincere condolences on loss of your father - never easy to lose a parent. Not at all a weird way to announce - you are amongst friends here.

Peace in your time of sorrow.

Sliced Cuban style pork (I make a butt just for these using lots of garlic, salt, cumin and sour orange juice, thinly sliced baked ham, Swiss cheese, sliced hearty garlic dill pickles, mayo and mustard. Its the bread (Pan Cubano) that will be hard to find.

I don't remember if I use mayo, or not. I told you it has been a long time -- too long. Everything else looks the same. I have to drop back and punt on the pan Cubano. Nobody here sells it. I can get sour oranges, but I have to do some driving. My normal grocery stores in Frisco don't have them.

Do you poke holes in your pork butt and stuff garlic in the holes?

CD

I don't remember if I use mayo, or not. I told you it has been a long time -- too long. Everything else looks the same. I have to drop back and punt on the pan Cubano. Nobody here sells it. I can get sour oranges, but I have to do some driving. My normal grocery stores in Frisco don't have them.

Do you poke holes in your pork butt and stuff garlic in the holes?

CD

You can use regular oranges and lime juice instead of the sour orange. I don't remember the ratio though, maybe Craig will.

Sometimes we do a paste of garlic, salt, cumin, oregano, and EVOO, and rub into meat that has had some holes poked into it, but not always. Always gets soaked in sour orange juice and thin sliced onions though regardless.

I usually use a mixture of mayo and yellow mustard, mostly mustard, but it's been so long since I had made them at home that I didn't remember the mayo until after the first batch of sammies was made and into the oven, so I didn't bother with the second batch, just used the mustard.

I want to make egg rolls using Cuban sandwich ingredients, with maybe a chimichurri dipping sauce.

You can use regular oranges and lime juice instead of the sour orange. I don't remember the ratio though, maybe Craig will.

Sometimes we do a paste of garlic, salt, cumin, oregano, and EVOO, and rub into meat that has had some holes poked into it, but not always. Always gets soaked in sour orange juice and thin sliced onions though regardless.

I usually use a mixture of mayo and yellow mustard, mostly mustard, but it's been so long since I had made them at home that I didn't remember the mayo until after the first batch of sammies was made and into the oven, so I didn't bother with the second batch, just used the mustard.

I want to make egg rolls using Cuban sandwich ingredients, with maybe a chimichurri dipping sauce.

I have used regular oranges and limes. I don't remember the ratio, either.

CD

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom