What did you cook or eat today (August 2020)?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Using up some fridge food: cooked off an onion with some wine & some tarragon that has partially dried out. Boiled then mashed carrots then added the onion mix. Steamed off spinach, added a dollop of sour cream & some random leftover chopped herbs & wilted it down. Goes perfectly with a pork steak and a glass of Chardonnay
IMG20200825211427.jpg

What are fried curds? Apologies if I've asked this before.

Curds are pieces of freshly made cheese using cow's milk, very mild taste, and rennin or some other type of acid that is allowed to coagulate then broken apart. Fried curds are battered and fried. Cheese curds are also used to make poutine.

Last edited:
I saw a "kitchen hack" on Farcebook yesterday which suggested that adding lemon juice to the rice cooker it would prevent the rice sticking together. I tried it today (with lime juice) and the result was virtually porridge!

I had to start again.
<Pulls trousers up to nipples in classic Old Man style>

Let me just say, I refuse to follow anything called a "hack" - whatever happened to "tips?" That was a perfectly good word. Of all the things that might have benefitted from rebranding, tips wasn't one of them.

Young people and their "hacks!" 😤

Yes. I was meaning spicy as that is the only sort I've tried. Coconut milk/cream is a no for me due to an intolerance and I'm not keen on the taste anyway. I think I have the same issue with peanuts as with tahini - its that thick creamy yet dryish mouthfeel.
You know, I really don't like nuts in anything much except eating out of hand. I don't like them in baked goods, though I can deal with it, and I certainly don't like them in savory dishes (that I can think of). I don't even like them sprinkled on anything.

Not my pic, but it looks like this. I made dulche de leche from condensed milk today, easiest recipe ever! Just boil the tin for 3 hours and make sure it's covered by water. I added some coarse sea salt , and now my caramel is done!
View attachment 45438
That's my first step for making banoffee pie.

Sandwiches at the Amish place today:

$5US each sandwich. Unbelievable. Proper Amish place, too. Cash or checks only, no electric, all the doors and windows open to let in enough light to see. Closed on Sundays and open until 5PM otherwise.

That's my first step for making banoffee pie.

Sandwiches at the Amish place today:

$5US each sandwich. Unbelievable. Proper Amish place, too. Cash or checks only, no electric, all the doors and windows open to let in enough light to see. Closed on Sundays and open until 5PM otherwise.
You ate TWO sandwiches?!!!!

Not my pic, but it looks like this. I made dulche de leche from condensed milk today, easiest recipe ever! Just boil the tin for 3 hours and make sure it's covered by water. I added some coarse sea salt , and now my caramel is done!

Hate to say this but you can buy the tins of condensed milk already caramelised in the UK.

Let me just say, I refuse to follow anything called a "hack" - whatever happened to "tips?" That was a perfectly good word. Of all the things that might have benefitted from rebranding, tips wasn't one of them.

I always thought hacks was the American word for tips. I didn't know the word tips was also used in the USA. In the UK hacking means to illegally hack into computer systems.

Hate to say this but you can buy the tins of condensed milk already caramelised in the UK.
Well what fun is that? 😬

Was the reuben tasty? :D

CD
Here's the thing: I don't like reubens. I've never ordered one. I've probably tasted three reubens in my life, counting this one.

My wife is the reuben expert, as you can tell because she chose the (ahem) tastiest reuben of all. I did try a bite of that one and had to say, it was pretty good. Homemade bread. Homemade kraut. Local beef, corned on site.

The only thing was, it was 90F with no breeze, and I was sweating in parts I didn't know could sweat, and she had me take a bite, and I didn't prepare myself mentally for eating some of a piping hot sandwich and it instantly turned my stomach a little, just the heat of it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom