What did you cook or eat today (August 2020)?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Proper Amish place, too. Cash or checks only, no electric, all the doors and windows open to let in enough light to see. Closed on Sundays and open until 5PM otherwise.

How do they keep the meats and cheeses cold?

I met some Oklahoma Mennonites who were master builders -- real craftsmen. They had no electricity or power tools at home, but they used them on the jobsite. They didn't have cars/trucks, either. The boss picked them up every morning in a passenger van, and took them home after work. So, there is some wiggle room with technology. It seems to depend on each community.

CD

I always thought hacks was the American word for tips. I didn't know the word tips was also used in the USA. In the UK hacking means to illegally hack into computer systems.
"Hacks" started with the young people (shakes fist), just a "cool" way to say what us old-timers call "tips and tricks."

Of course, in 1960, I'm sure my grandmother yelled at my mom for saying "tips and tricks:"

"Jean, stop with that beatnik talk, it's 'sensible guidance,' not 'tips and whatever!'"

:laugh:

I always thought hacks was the American word for tips. I didn't know the word tips was also used in the USA. In the UK hacking means to illegally hack into computer systems.
It means the same here in regards to computer systems but has several other meanings:

From Merriam Webster Dictionary:

Definition of hack

transitive verb
1a: to cut or sever with repeated irregular or unskillful blows
b: to cut or shape by or as if by crude or ruthless strokeshacking out new election districts
c: ANNOY, VEX —often used with offHe gets really hacked off when people cheat.
2: to clear or make by or as if by cutting away vegetationhacked his way through the brush
3ainformal : to manage successfullyjust couldn't hack the new job
binformal : TOLERATEI can't hack all this noise
4: to gain illegal access to (a computer network, system, etc.) In the last decade they have hacked computer networks in Estonia, Ukraine, Poland, Germany, France, and Bulgaria—often stealing data.— The New York Times… perhaps I would have become one of those lost souls wandering the basement of MIT playing with computers and hacking the telephone network.— Lee Smolin

I have also heard in reference to coughing, horses, and someone who isn't very good at their job.

Last edited:

I've only heard it in the last few years. I've heard Brits use it, too. I don't know the origin. It does mean "tips" or "shortcuts." Hacking in the US is also a computer crime.

Hey look, we use a couple words the same way. :D

CD

Well what fun is that? 😬

Here's the thing: I don't like reubens. I've never ordered one. I've probably tasted three reubens in my life, counting this one.

My wife is the reuben expert, as you can tell because she chose the (ahem) tastiest reuben of all. I did try a bite of that one and had to say, it was pretty good. Homemade bread. Homemade kraut. Local beef, corned on site.

The only thing was, it was 90F with no breeze, and I was sweating in parts I didn't know could sweat, and she had me take a bite, and I didn't prepare myself mentally for eating some of a piping hot sandwich and it instantly turned my stomach a little, just the heat of it.
Yeah I don't like caroway seeds, so regular rye bread for me is out, and I don't like Thousand Island dressing, either. Sauerkraut is only good in sauerkraut balls (to me, anyway). So I would have to make so many changes to the sandwich it would be a corned beef sandwich, not a Reuben.

I'd always heard that computer hackers borrowed the term decades ago from building hackers/urban explorers; people who would break into interesting buildings through the ductwork, roofs, etc.

I'd always heard that computer hackers borrowed the term decades ago from building hackers/urban explorers; people who would break into interesting buildings through the ductwork, roofs, etc.

Sounds reasonable - hacking your way in, literally. That is very different from the other use of 'hack' as a tip or trick. The point of a hack in that sense is that it doesn't require work to achieve the result. That's why it irritates me because it seems an illogical use of the word.

Sounds reasonable - hacking your way in, literally. That is very different from the other use of 'hack' as a tip or trick. The point of a hack in that sense is that it doesn't require work to achieve the result. That's why it irritates me because it seems an illogical use of the word.
I only heard it used in that sense in recent years, maybe within the last 20 or so? Before that it wasn't used.

Beer brined grilled pork chops, Lighthouse Potatoes (first time, OMG), peas and carrots.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom