What did you cook or eat today (August 2021)?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Chilaquiles? I would love to read more. Will griggle. Looks very good.😎

Chilaquiles are a true Mexican dish, so even in Texas, you don't see them a lot. They differ somewhat by region in Mexico. The way I made mine is the pretty close to the way I first had them (I added the chorizo).

CD

Last edited:
A keto friendly, not quite keto in my adaptation, but absolutely delicious cake,and still low carb, low sugar. Recipe based on Ketoserts youtube video Keto yoghurt almond cake.

I used coconut flour (200 g)instead of almond flour, acidophillus yoghurt instead of greek, I added flax seed flour (59 g) and dark wheat flour (50 g), rice syrup instead of erythritol (60 ml or so).

Lovely moist, cohesive, light, and the tender scent of coconut is wonderful. Kid returning home asked, did you bake a cake? 🤓🍰

I was too tired to decorate it, and the candle does not sit on the stove😂... we enjoyed a piece later in the evening.👍 This might be my new fav.

Chilaquiles are a true Mexican dish, so even in Texas, you don't see them a lot. They differ somewhat by region in Mexico. They way I made mine is the pretty close to the way I first had them (I added the chorizo).

CD
Sounds good!

As you may deduce from the next two images, the timer on my Halogen Oven is playing up again. I shall be replacing the top bit shortly if anyone has any ideas what only the bowl and/or stand may be used for?

Today is MrsT's birthday. Last night, we went to supper at what is considered the nicest/fanciest restaurant in our community (meaning, to get something nicer/fancier, the next closest places are in the suburbs of either Dayton or Cincinnati).

Some pics of the approach/exterior:

It's out in the middle of nowhere, down a few skinny backroads (single-track roads):

It's in an old house that really hasn't had much done to it to make it a working restaurant:

It's called The Spillway because it sits in view of the spillway for the nearby reservoir:

If you look closely, you can spot some chickens:

And the family who owns it still farms the land:

...all leading up to the food:

Salad to start:

Ribs, carrots, and fries for me:

Filet, shrimp, pilaf, and beans for MrsT:

German chocolate cake slice that we brought home:

Nothing spectacular, just an everyday meal for a lot of folks, but around here, that's how you treat your sweetie on her birthday unless you go to the city. Every table in the place was celebrating either an anniversary or a birthday.

The cake...it's $8.95, I think, for a slice. The waitress gave us that one for $5 because she said it looked a little small after she'd cut it.

...all leading up to the food:

Salad to start:
View attachment 69975

Ribs, carrots, and fries for me:
View attachment 69976

Filet, shrimp, pilaf, and beans for MrsT:
View attachment 69977

German chocolate cake slice that we brought home:View attachment 69978

Nothing spectacular, just an everyday meal for a lot of folks, but around here, that's how you treat your sweetie on her birthday unless you go to the city. Every table in the place was celebrating either an anniversary or a birthday.

The cake...it's $8.95, I think, for a slice. The waitress gave us that one for $5 because she said it looked a little small after she'd cut it.

A friend of mine owns a prime steakhouse in the middle of nowhere, about 50 miles from Downtown Dallas. It has been open for about 15 years, and does a good business. The food is awesome (and I've never paid for it :happy:).

Home - Four Winds Steakhouse: Fine Steaks, Quality Seafood and Great Service in an Upscale Rustic Environment

CD

A friend of mine owns a prime steakhouse in the middle of nowhere, about 50 miles from Downtown Dallas. It has been open for about 15 years, and does a good business. The food is awesome (and I've never paid for it :happy:).

Home - Four Winds Steakhouse: Fine Steaks, Quality Seafood and Great Service in an Upscale Rustic Environment

CD
It's not the best place you'll ever go, but the food is pretty good, and most of it is made on-site, like the dressings, where most places around here just dump it out of a big bag from the food supplier.

What I don't like is the paper napkins and no tablecloths, but it does save the owners some laundry time, I suppose.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom