What did you cook or eat today (August 2023)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Veggie dinner

PXL_20230813_221220226.jpg

To me, there are two kinds of university towns - ones where the university is just another thing in the town, and ones where the university is larger than the town and consumes it.

MrsT comes from the former (SUNY - Plattsburgh), and I come from the latter (Miami of Ohio), and growing up there, you really learn to despise the students, faculty, and university as a whole, because everyone associated with the school is quick to remind anyone who isn’t that there’d be no town without the school.

That goes beyond just having to put up with a pizzing contest - it means when the university wants a city block…the businesses get knocked down and the school takes the block. School wants a historic block of Victorian houses for student housing…get out, residents, the school just seized your property through eminent domain.

Students use crosswalks?! What, are you crazy?! They just pop out between cars, clog traffic meandering across the street, or stopping to converse with their friends in the middle of the street, and anyone associated with the university is considered untouchable.

Miami University... in Oxford, Ohio. A bit confusing? :laugh: Big Ben's alma mater. 🏈

My alma mater (UNT) is now a 45,000 student school in a 140,000 city. It was a good balance. They haven't taken any land by eminent domain, that I can tell. There are streets of old/historic homes near campus, but they are all privately owned. But, the college had a lot of land to begin with, and tore down a few old college buildings to build new ones. There was also a lot of open land to the West of campus.

I live 25 miles from where I went to "Uni" as they call it in the UK. I'm in Denton about once a year. Sometimes I drive through campus to see what has changed.

Uh oh... 🚁

CD

Went out for lunch and then the cinema (I was getting the warning signs of a bored husband. He has the week off. )

And given that Oppenheimer is picky showing the the premium lounge during the week now, it seemed the obvious day to go because it was raining.

So much was an acacia bowl and "dessert" a raw food Ferrero slice (raw food doesn't contain dairy for those not aware. )

20230814_124907.jpg
20230814_124916.jpg

We finished up with some roasted flatbread with chickpeas, garlic and hummus during the film.

Miami University... in Oxford, Ohio. A bit confusing? :laugh: Big Ben's alma mater. 🏈
I had to grit my teeth typing “Miami of Ohio” instead of Miami University, which was the official name until they changed it, to avoid confusion with the University of Miami.

Miami is the name of a Native American nation that covered the Great Lakes area back in pre-US days. I grew up in “the Miami Valley,” smack between the Little Miami and Great Miami rivers.

Everything’s “Miami” where I grew up, Miami Tire Repair, Miami Bakery, etc.

Lunch, at another fine dining consideration:
IMG_5419.jpeg
IMG_5420.jpeg
IMG_5421.jpeg

After yesterday, we thought we’d better try their bar menu first.

Those are hand-cut chips/crisps, sprinkled with parmesan, and finished with a sweet balsamic glaze. We didn’t order them, they’re provided as soon as you sit down, like how you get tortilla chips and salsa at Mexican restaurants here.

We both got the French onion soup, which was made a little differently than is usually served here - no lid of crusty bread and browned cheese; the bread and cheese were put in first, then the soup on top, with a garnish of green onion and fried onion. The only other time I’ve seen that done was when I’ve watched Pepin make it. That’s how he does it.

IMG_5428.jpeg

Strudel for dessert:
IMG_6675.jpeg

I love the light fixtures!
IMG_6672.jpeg

I mentioned how MrsT’s ancestors are all around here - her great-great-grandparents are buried right across the street from the hotel/restaurant (which has been here since pre-Independence days).

Lunch, at another fine dining consideration:
View attachment 103593View attachment 103594View attachment 103595

After yesterday, we thought we’d better try their bar menu first.

Those are hand-cut chips/crisps, sprinkled with parmesan, and finished with a sweet balsamic glaze. We didn’t order them, they’re provided as soon as you sit down, like how you get tortilla chips and salsa at Mexican restaurants here.
Did they taste good? I think I would prefer them without the balsamic glaze, what say you?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom