What did you cook or eat today (August 2023)

Status
Not open for further replies.
I had to grit my teeth typing “Miami of Ohio” instead of Miami University, which was the official name until they changed it, to avoid confusion with the University of Miami.

Miami is the name of a Native American nation that covered the Great Lakes area back in pre-US days. I grew up in “the Miami Valley,” smack between the Little Miami and Great Miami rivers.

Everything’s “Miami” where I grew up, Miami Tire Repair, Miami Bakery, etc.

Does the police department have a vice squad?

CD

Beef tataki, a mushroom and edemame salad, and a shrimp salad with sliced cucumbers, grated carrots, and a kimchee base/honey dressing.
20230814_175431.jpg

I bought an eggplant and made "everything bagel seasoning" baked eggplant medallions. They're not bad. I sliced them thin and put them on a parchment paper lined baking sheet, then brushed olive oil across the tops, then put the seasong mixture across the top of each one and baked from 30-40 mnutes at 325F, pulling the smaller pieces off at 30 minutes. I put them on a paper towel to dry out further. They aren't as crisp as potato chips but they aren't mushy, either, a little crisp with a slight chewy texture. The sesame seeds in the seasoning gave them added crunch.
20230814_175038.jpg
20230814_181059.jpg
20230814_191349.jpg

20230814_192332.jpg

20230814_190132.jpg

Last edited:
Here's a "catch up" round-up. I've only recently been able to cook, but it does have to be in short spurts, so making a meal takes me just about all day:
IMG_2973.JPG

Last Tuesday was National Spam® Musubi Day, 8/08, Hawaii's area code :okay: I just had to, but could only have a small bite.
IMG_2982.JPG

My version of Chicken Cacciatore
IMG_3032.JPG

Ham Steak Dinner, I only ate some Ham and sautéed Spinach
IMG_3034.JPG

and lastly, one of our favorite dinners, grilled Chicken Teriyaki, Mainland-Style Spam® Fried Rice and My Quick Cucumber Kim Chee (or kimchi, whatever!).

MrsT came back from…whatever she was doing and said she was hungry, so out we went:

IMG_5446.jpeg
IMG_5443.jpeg

Notice the dirt on the floor - we unknowingly got there (well, here, because we’re still here) about 10 minutes before closing, and they were sweeping up a little early.

We tried to leave, but they actually seemed a little offended, so we comprised and got our food to go.

Dessert case (well, one of them…they also have one dedicated to pies):

IMG_5444.jpeg

IMG_5445.jpeg

I love the girl working here, she described each dessert on the bottom as some form of mousse, and the last one she said, “That’s like an Oreo…but moussified.”

Our to-go food was a BLT on thick sourdough and locally-made chips/crisps (there are about a dozen snack chip makers in this area) for me, and some kind of tuna melt thingy (English muffin, tuna, tomato, melted cheese) and some of the best fries I’ve ever had, dusted in cornstarch to make them extra crunchy (and not dry inside) for MrsT.

Our to-go food was a BLT on thick sourdough and locally-made chips/crisps (there are about a dozen snack chip makers in this area) for me, and some kind of tuna melt thingy (English muffin, tuna, tomato, melted cheese) and some of the best fries I’ve ever had, dusted in cornstarch to make them extra crunchy (and not dry inside) for MrsT.

Pray tell is the cornstarch before frying or dusted afterwards??

Russ

Pray tell is the cornstarch before frying or dusted afterwards??

Russ

I'm pretty sure you dust the fries before frying. That's a good way to put a thin layer of crunch on a lot of fried foods. I need to try it on fries (chips).

CD

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom