What did you cook or eat today (August 2023)

Status
Not open for further replies.
A good artisan strawberry,chocolate and whipped cream gelato

B103A36F-9F58-4A57-BFCD-F46F0CD0B5BC.jpeg

This is the Farnsworth House. Their main restaurant was to be a fine dining choice, so we went to their beer garden and chose from the bar menu:
IMG_5372.jpeg
IMG_5373.jpeg
IMG_5375.jpeg
IMG_5374.jpeg
IMG_5376.jpeg

I have to say…judged on that, I’m glad we skipped the main restaurant. Everything except the pretzel (and that came from a local baker) was overcooked, service was slipshod, and prices were a little high, $70US for a pretty simple meal.

This is the Farnsworth House. Their main restaurant was to be a fine dining choice, so we went to their beer garden and chose from the bar menu:View attachment 103527View attachment 103528View attachment 103529View attachment 103530View attachment 103531

I have to say…judged on that, I’m glad we skipped the main restaurant. Everything except the pretzel (and that came from a local baker) was overcooked, service was slipshod, and prices were a little high, $70US for a pretty simple meal.
The pretzel looks really good though, but waaaaay overpriced! And yeah, the fried foods look a littel dried out. I can't believe $70!

The pretzel looks really good though, but waaaaay overpriced! And yeah, the fried foods look a littel dried out. I can't believe $70!
That’s the problem with Gettysburg - you can do things half-assed and still make a good living because of the sheer number of tourists.

MrsT, if she had her choice, would live in Gettysburg, and her ancestors footprints are all over the city/county, but I couldn’t survive it. It’s a beautiful city, but it’s got the unfortunate combination of loads of tourists and loads of university students. I’m not sure which is worse. :laugh:

That’s the problem with Gettysburg - you can do things half-assed and still make a good living because of the sheer number of tourists.

MrsT, if she had her choice, would live in Gettysburg, and her ancestors footprints are all over the city/county, but I couldn’t survive it. It’s a beautiful city, but it’s got the unfortunate combination of loads of tourists and loads of university students. I’m not sure which is worse. :laugh:
Yeah, we don't have a lot of tourists but we too have loads of University students. Downtown might as well be called Akron University rather than just Akron.

Yeah, we don't have a lot of tourists but we too have loads of University students. Downtown might as well be called Akron University rather than just Akron.
To me, there are two kinds of university towns - ones where the university is just another thing in the town, and ones where the university is larger than the town and consumes it.

MrsT comes from the former (SUNY - Plattsburgh), and I come from the latter (Miami of Ohio), and growing up there, you really learn to despise the students, faculty, and university as a whole, because everyone associated with the school is quick to remind anyone who isn’t that there’d be no town without the school.

That goes beyond just having to put up with a pizzing contest - it means when the university wants a city block…the businesses get knocked down and the school takes the block. School wants a historic block of Victorian houses for student housing…get out, residents, the school just seized your property through eminent domain.

Students use crosswalks?! What, are you crazy?! They just pop out between cars, clog traffic meandering across the street, or stopping to converse with their friends in the middle of the street, and anyone associated with the university is considered untouchable.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom