What did you cook or eat today (August 2024)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Roasted some veg and put in some pickerel with butter for the last 20 minutes.
IMG_4862.jpeg
IMG_4863.jpeg

I was busy today. I made Spanakopita, Sourdough ciabatta and mini lasagnas.
I would say the mini lasagnas were a success. The sauce for the lasagnas, I did sweet and hot italian sausage, mushrooms, crushed tomatoes and lots of fresh basil from my garden! I whole milk ricotta, whole milk mozzarella mixed with fontina and some parmigiano reggiano
20240809_160509.jpg

20240809_195012.jpg
20240809_153430.jpg
20240809_205624.jpg

I made stuffed peppers tonight and they turned out really great! I used medium hot peppers from our garden stuffed with the Italian sausage that my DH makes with his cousins, along with roasted garlic, goat cheese, ricotta cheese, parmesan cheese, bread crumbs, and fresh basil and oregano from our garden. I cooked them in a tomato sauce and topped them with mozzarella. Yum.

So tomorrow I'm making a seafood paella for the 1st time. I read that bomba is the best rice to use. I don't own a paella pan and am planning on just making it in a large skillet. I've got shrimp, mussels, scallops, and mahi mahi for the seafood. I found a recipe and am hoping it's a good one. Do those of you with experience think it's a good one?
Spanish Paella Recipe - Tastes Better from Scratch
I think I'd like to sear my scallops and shrimp separately and add them in at the last minute, plus probably omit the peas. If anyone has any tips it would be greatly appreciated!

So tomorrow I'm making a seafood paella for the 1st time. I read that bomba is the best rice to use. I don't own a paella pan and am planning on just making it in a large skillet. I've got shrimp, mussels, scallops, and mahi mahi for the seafood. I found a recipe and am hoping it's a good one. Do those of you with experience think it's a good one?
Spanish Paella Recipe - Tastes Better from Scratch
I think I'd like to sear my scallops and shrimp separately and add them in at the last minute, plus probably omit the peas. If anyone has any tips it would be greatly appreciated!

The ingredients list looks fine and dandy.
I think it’s one of those dishes people make a fuss about making it sound harder than it is. I’ve made it in every abusive fashion you can imagine - the wrong rice, stirring it, not forming a crust on the bottom and just throw it all in (minus the seafood) and see what happens and everytime it’s turned out something delicious - although definitely fry the onions in the throw it all in version 😆

I omit the peas owing to disliking them. Sometimes I do rinse the rice for a fluffier easy to reheat version (claggy rice cold is hard to reheat), sometimes I cook the prawns separately in garlic butter (although they do cook well and fast in the pan) and occasionally I’ll do it special fried rice style with leftover rice. The paella puritans would have a fit but the important part is they all taste incredibly similar and good.

I don’t like how early she adds the pepper but then I like my peppers to have a little resistance.

I think with your level of knowledge and skill set so long as you stick to what you know (within the approximate bounds of the recipe) it will be a winner!

The ingredients list looks fine and dandy.
I think it’s one of those dishes people make a fuss about making it sound harder than it is. I’ve made it in every abusive fashion you can imagine - the wrong rice, stirring it, not forming a crust on the bottom and just throw it all in (minus the seafood) and see what happens and everytime it’s turned out something delicious - although definitely fry the onions in the throw it all in version 😆

I omit the peas owing to disliking them. Sometimes I do rinse the rice for a fluffier easy to reheat version (claggy rice cold is hard to reheat), sometimes I cook the prawns separately in garlic butter (although they do cook well and fast in the pan) and occasionally I’ll do it special fried rice style with leftover rice. The paella puritans would have a fit but the important part is they all taste incredibly similar and good.

I don’t like how early she adds the pepper but then I like my peppers to have a little resistance.

I think with your level of knowledge and skill set so long as you stick to what you know (within the approximate bounds of the recipe) it will be a winner!
Thanks!

I'm making it over at my youngest daughter's house--she's out of town but her husband and my middle daughter and grandson will be there, and of course DH. My SIL doesn't like onions so I'll be leaving those out and will have a bowl of chopped scallions for others to add. I was thinking of adding asparagus tips instead of peas? I like peas but it seems like an odd vegetable to add to delicious seafood!

Thanks!

I'm making it over at my youngest daughter's house--she's out of town but her husband and my middle daughter and grandson will be there, and of course DH. My SIL doesn't like onions so I'll be leaving those out and will have a bowl of chopped scallions for others to add. I was thinking of adding asparagus tips instead of peas? I like peas but it seems like an odd vegetable to add to delicious seafood!

Asparagus would IMO be delicious.
Although I’d possibly consider a less time sensitive veg on my first foray. Asparagus has to be paid attention to timing wise because it goes from lovely to overcooked so easily.
But the marvels of a well flavoured mixed rice dish means most things work, probably why there’s such a lot of ‘authentic’ variations 😂

I’m happy not replacing the peas and using a bit of green pepper with the red (it’s pretty).
Whenever I’m looking for a pea substitute I tend to go with edamame (soya beans), they have a large safe window timing wise where they don’t over cook and add a bit of texture, I don’t think they’d be great in paella though 🤷‍♀️

Omitting the onions will affect the flavour, is it the effects of onion 💨 or the taste she doesn’t like? If it’s the effects a small pinch asafoetida (I can never spell that) has the onion flavour without the stomach ache.

I like your addition of scallops cooked separately, I can see the sear you got on some in a previous recipe you posted and I already want to eat your version 😂

The recipe looks great - exactly what I'd expect from a Spanish paella. Just make sure you use a large skillet; not really much different from a paellera, just higher sides. And no stirring once the rice has been seasoned. Obviously, fish/seafood stock would be better, but unless you want to go to the effort of making your own, then chicken stock will do. A friend of mine sprinkles a little bit of dry sherry on top of the paella, and olive oil, just before serving. Buen provecho!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom