What did you cook or eat today (August 2024)

Status
Not open for further replies.
a small pinch asafoetida (I can never spell that) has the onion flavour without the stomach ache.
Asafoetida does taste vaguely like onions and garlic, and is used in Indian cookery for those strict Hindus who will not eat onions or garlic for religious reasons. However, it has some flavour notes which identify it as a seriously Asian spice, and I would not put it into a paella. It'd be akin to covering your pizza with ketchup instead of tomato salsa.

Asafoetida does taste vaguely like onions and garlic, and is used in Indian cookery for those strict Hindus who will not eat onions or garlic for religious reasons. However, it has some flavour notes which identify it as a seriously Asian spice, and I would not put it into a paella. It'd be akin to covering your pizza with ketchup instead of tomato salsa.
I would disagree, personally I think that's just association, I use it minute quantities for dishes that are not traditionally asian and it works well.
But I do mean an imperceptible amount, if you didn't know what I'd used you'd be unlikely to pick it out.

I would also mention that here it is a spice that is also sold by main producers like Schwartz and that version is heavily adulterated making it hard to mess it up. If you want the real thing you're better off ordering online and using a very light hand!

I might be one of them but many people very much enjoy dipping there pizza in tomato sauce!

Last edited:
Today is TVC's birthday and he fancied paella, he cooked it himself and it was delicious.

20240810_192851.jpg

I would also mention that here it is a spice that is also sold by main producers like Schwartz
I've been using it in Indian food for the past 30 years or so. I get my supply (which lasts for absolutely ages) from Indian groceries. Even traditional, recommended Indian spice companies are known to "add" things to it. About 15 years ago, I ordered some pure asafoetida. It came as a block of resin (which is actually what it is). The difference in flavour was remarkable.
I keep well away from Schwartz spices - don't like them. they sell nigella/kalonji seeds as "black onion seeds". Aarggh.

I've been using it in Indian food for the past 30 years or so. I get my supply (which lasts for absolutely ages) from Indian groceries. Even traditional, recommended Indian spice companies are known to "add" things to it. About 15 years ago, I ordered some pure asafoetida. It came as a block of resin (which is actually what it is). The difference in flavour was remarkable.
I keep well away from Schwartz spices - don't like them. they sell nigella/kalonji seeds as "black onion seeds". Aarggh.
Yer Schwartz are very poor quality and to be avoided unless desperate, they can just about manage a passable garlic salt 😂

Didn't you make chicken and yellow rice? That's a paella at its most simplest.
Oh, you wrote you loved Vigo rice so I thought you'd made it. It's odd your grocery would carry the Vigo brand, but not valencia rice, AKA California Pearled rice, brands Iberia, Goya, Diana.

Since we'd been discussing paella rice, I noticed the grocery is now carrying calasparra rice when I was looking for couscous.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom