What did you cook or eat today (August 2024)

Status
Not open for further replies.
So tomorrow I'm making a seafood paella for the 1st time. I read that bomba is the best rice to use. I don't own a paella pan and am planning on just making it in a large skillet. I've got shrimp, mussels, scallops, and mahi mahi for the seafood. I found a recipe and am hoping it's a good one. Do those of you with experience think it's a good one?
Spanish Paella Recipe - Tastes Better from Scratch
I think I'd like to sear my scallops and shrimp separately and add them in at the last minute, plus probably omit the peas. If anyone has any tips it would be greatly appreciated!

I'll preface this by saying i dont use a recipe when i make paella. I might have a recipe on here for a challenge. I use roasted red bell, with some cut into thin strips for garnish at end. Don't use green at all. No parsley for me, or paprika, though if you must I'd use sweet and skip the smoked unless it's a flavor you know you really like. I do use some cumin in mine. No tomatoes at all. I use peas and they are great in paella as long as you like peas to begin with. I usually peel my shrimp first, taking tails off too so diner doesn't have to cut them off, then throw the shells in some water and/or chicken stock and let them cook while I'm prepping the rest. Searing the scallops is a great idea, but I would add the shrimp as the recipe does. You could always cook the asparagus separately, but, honestly, I wouldn't put asparagus in a paella due to its strong flavor. I don't add the seafood until I've tested the rice and it's all but done. I don't let mine rest. When the seafood is done, we eat!

Asparagus would IMO be delicious.
Although I’d possibly consider a less time sensitive veg on my first foray. Asparagus has to be paid attention to timing wise because it goes from lovely to overcooked so easily.
But the marvels of a well flavoured mixed rice dish means most things work, probably why there’s such a lot of ‘authentic’ variations 😂

I’m happy not replacing the peas and using a bit of green pepper with the red (it’s pretty).
Whenever I’m looking for a pea substitute I tend to go with edamame (soya beans), they have a large safe window timing wise where they don’t over cook and add a bit of texture, I don’t think they’d be great in paella though 🤷‍♀️

Omitting the onions will affect the flavour, is it the effects of onion 💨 or the taste she doesn’t like? If it’s the effects a small pinch asafoetida (I can never spell that) has the onion flavour without the stomach ache.

I like your addition of scallops cooked separately, I can see the sear you got on some in a previous recipe you posted and I already want to eat your version 😂
My son in law hates onions--taste and texture. I don't have time to go shopping today and wouldn't know where to find asfoetida anyway, so...

I am pretty familiar with keeping asparagus green. It will be added at the same time as the seared scallops--in the last few minutes. It's what I have on hand, so...but happy for the tips on substitutes for future reference. I'm using red bell pepper that I've got in my garden (I dislike green).

Last edited:
Balsamic chicken and vegetable skewer (off the skewer in picture) on a bed of rice and balsamic asparagus.

IMG_2633.jpeg

I told Craig we could go out for an early dinner last night, being Friday, or we could go to grocery and pick up the produce that apparently got left at the cashier's, over $10 worth, or a Tovala meal. He choose out of course. Went to an Italian joint about minutes away. They are okay, nothing special.

I had a Cobb salad. OMG, there were 5 or 6 whole pieces of thick cut bacon, plus the chicken. The pugs got 2 whole pieces to divide up. Made them happy. I had 2 glasses of pinot grigio since wine was BOGO. That made me 😊.

Craig got meatball sliders on garlic rolls for an appy. Lasagna for main. Of course, we both had regular garlic rolls too.

The recipe looks great - exactly what I'd expect from a Spanish paella. Just make sure you use a large skillet; not really much different from a paellera, just higher sides. And no stirring once the rice has been seasoned. Obviously, fish/seafood stock would be better, but unless you want to go to the effort of making your own, then chicken stock will do. A friend of mine sprinkles a little bit of dry sherry on top of the paella, and olive oil, just before serving. Buen provecho!
I've got seafood stock on hand, part of my plan. I tend to keep lobster and shrimp shells and make my own so got it in the freezer already! And my skillet is 14". Theres 6 of us but it's going to be more seafood than rice and DH and I don't eat much, sooo...

Thank you!
I'll preface this by saying i dont use a recipe when i make paella. I might have a recipe on here for a challenge. I use roasted red bell, with some cut into thin strips for garnish at end. Don't use green at all. No parsley for me, or paprika, though if you must I'd use sweet and skip the smoked unless it's a flavor you know you really like. I do use some cumin in mine. No tomatoes at all. I use peas and they are great in paella as long as you like peas to begin with. I usually peel my shrimp first, taking tails off too so diner doesn't have to cut them off, then throw the shells in some water and/or chicken stock and let them cook while I'm prepping the rest. Searing the scallops is a great idea, but I would add the shrimp as the recipe does. You could always cook the asparagus separately, but, honestly, I wouldn't put asparagus in a paella due to its strong flavor. I don't add the seafood until I've tested the rice and it's all but done. I don't let mine rest. When the seafood is done, we eat!
Thanks! I was only adding a couple of handfuls of minced, very thin asparagus, more for color than flavor. I wasn't planning on cooking it separately. I'll cut it back to 1 handful though. I don't plan on cooking the shrimp completely when seared, just enough to brown it on each side. I do like smoked paprika but I'll be using it sparingly, thanks for the heads up. Why no tomatoes?

Why no tomatoes?

We make a more Cuban style and they don't generally use tomatoes.

Asafoetida is an Indian spice. You probably aren't going to find it locally unless there is a large Indian population with specialized markets. I ordered it instead of driving all over town since the Persian/Indian markets aren't very close. I will warn you, it stinks, no ifs, ands, or buts. Fortunately, the smell dissipates quickly upon cooking and it doesn't taste like it smells.

Last edited:
Some actual cooking photos, for a change:

IMG_8969.jpeg

That’s about a quarter-bag of frozen shredded hash browns and the last of the (Mexican) chorizo. Freezer diving this morning.

IMG_8970.jpeg

Used as an omelette filling, with some cheese. Finished dish over in the breakfast topic.

We make a more Cuban style and they don't generally use tomatoes.

Asafoetida is an Indian spice. You probably aren't going to find it locally unless there is a large Indian population with specialized markets. I ordered it instead of driving all over town since the Persian/Indian markets aren't very close. I will warn you, it stinks, no ifs, ands, or buts. Fortunately, the smell dissipates quickly upon cooking and it doesn't taste like it smells.
Yeah, I remember a conversation in here a few years ago where it was joked about it smelling like fetid ass. I'll pass thanks!

Tea and supper was pretty much emptying the leftovers, slaw, vegan gouda for a toast, eggplant spread, 1 third of a baked potato, pickled peppers, olives, prosciutto, blueberries.

Nothing to write home about, but still very pleasing.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom