What did you cook or eat today (December 2023)

Status
Not open for further replies.
PXL_20231209_232230096.jpg

Texas fish-n-chips. Fried catfish (cornmeal dredge) and some really good fries. The fish was not quite as good as mine :smug:, but still good. The fries were pretty much perfect. Sam's Seafood and Steaks in North Houston.

View attachment 107867

CD
That is a seriously generous amount of fish. Over here if you saw two of those fillets you’d think you’d done well!

Well who knows what I’ll be eating today. Mr SSOAP is not too sharp on that score.
Friday I got the inedible vegetarian ready meal lasagne (I’m yet to fathom the reasoning behind that choice 😂), Saturday I got crisps, chocolate and at 9pm some chicken wings, today so far just chocolate.

Let’s just say I won’t be leaving him in charge of caring for anyone I know 😂

He’s not bad at bringing tea though.

Note to self - leave instructions with children when I’m infirm I want professional carers in 😂🤣😂🤣

Definitely.
Not a proper knife and fork in sight.
:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:
Funny you should mention that.

The “waiter” brought the food over (minus the fries), sat it down and walked away, and we both said…”Hmmmm…no napkins or silverware.”

Then he brought the fries over, which definitely required a fork….and walked away.

MrsT went up to the bar and asked him for silverware - “Oh, yeah, ok,” and he brought some over, finally.

Also, I should point out that MrsT ordered a half-order of gravy fries to be subbed in for the chips/crisps, but note she got a full order and the chips/crisps - “Yeah, uh, I wrote that down wrong or somethin’ so…yeah.” :laugh:

When we paid, the last thing he said was, “You know, the only reason I work here is because I was in here so much drinkin’, they went ahead and jus’ gave me a job.” :laugh:

He really was a terrible server, but so laid back and good-natured, it was hard to be angry with him.

Oh, one other thing - there was a painter set up, drop cloths and everything, painting half the room, during business hours. Completely oblivious to everyone else in the place.

Funny you should mention that.

The “waiter” brought the food over (minus the fries), sat it down and walked away, and we both said…”Hmmmm…no napkins or silverware.”

Then he brought the fries over, which definitely required a fork….and walked away.

MrsT went up to the bar and asked him for silverware - “Oh, yeah, ok,” and he brought some over, finally.

Also, I should point out that MrsT ordered a half-order of gravy fries to be subbed in for the chips/crisps, but note she got a full order and the chips/crisps - “Yeah, uh, I wrote that down wrong or somethin’ so…yeah.” :laugh:

When we paid, the last thing he said was, “You know, the only reason I work here is because I was in here so much drinkin’, they went ahead and jus’ gave me a job.” :laugh:

He really was a terrible server, but so laid back and good-natured, it was hard to be angry with him.

Oh, one other thing - there was a painter set up, drop cloths and everything, painting half the room, during business hours. Completely oblivious to everyone else in the place.
I‘m thinking I should also start a list of places to avoid 😆

I‘m thinking I should also start a list of places to avoid 😆
Also (there’s a lot of “also” with this guy), they didn’t have a beer list (why should they, it’s a dive bar!), so I went up to look at the tap, but I couldn’t see it very well, so I figured I’d just ask when he came over.

Went to place the beer order, and MrsT said, “It looks like you have something from Taft and something from Mt. Carmel <both local brewers>, but I can’t see which styles they are…”

“Yeah, uh… <glances over shoulder at the bar>…I don’t really know.”

<Long 10 second pause>

“Could you find out, please?”

“Well…I’d have to ask somebody. Like I said, I don’t know.”

<Long 10 second pause>

“Oh, you want me to ask somebody? Ok.”

:laugh:

I'd like comments from murican readers on my ribs .

Russ

Okay. They are cooked a different way than I cook them, but a lot of Muricans cook them in the oven or crockpot. The only thing I see is that I would want to crisp up/brown the exterior a bit at the end before serving. With baked ribs, you stop them just short of "fall off the bone," sauce them, and toss them on a grill (BBQ), or under a broiler (grill) for a just long enough to give them some color, and caramelize the sauce a little.

As for doneness, here is a trick BBQ pit-masters use. The bend test. You pick up the rack of ribs with some tongs, and they should easily bend, but not break apart. That's perfect doneness for Murican BBQ style ribs.

1702223717544.png

CD

Last edited:
As for doneness, here is a trick BBQ pit-masters use. The bend test. you pick up the rack of ribs with some tongs, and they should easily bend, but not break apart. That's perfect doneness for Murican BBQ style ribs.

View attachment 107882

CD

Actually, that's perfect doneness for competition style ribs. Many, many, many Americans prefer practically fall off the bone ribs because of the tenderness and ease of eating.

I do agree though they could use more color, either under the broiler or on a grill.

Also (there’s a lot of “also” with this guy), they didn’t have a beer list (why should they, it’s a dive bar!), so I went up to look at the tap, but I couldn’t see it very well, so I figured I’d just ask when he came over.

Went to place the beer order, and MrsT said, “It looks like you have something from Taft and something from Mt. Carmel <both local brewers>, but I can’t see which styles they are…”

“Yeah, uh… <glances over shoulder at the bar>…I don’t really know.”

<Long 10 second pause>

“Could you find out, please?”

“Well…I’d have to ask somebody. Like I said, I don’t know.”

<Long 10 second pause>

“Oh, you want me to ask somebody? Ok.”

:laugh:

He's incompetent, but honest. How can you be mad at a bad server who tells you up front he's a bad server. :laugh:

CD

Actually, that's perfect doneness for competition style ribs. Many, many, many Americans prefer practically fall off the bone ribs because of the tenderness and ease of eating.

I do agree though they could use more color, either under the broiler or on a grill.

I don't often agree with KCBS competition standards for BBQ, but I do like my ribs to have just a bit of tooth to them. I like the meat to pull of the bone cleanly, but still require a little bit of chewing. But, you are right that "fall off the bone" seems to be the most popular thing.

CD

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom