What did you cook or eat today (June 2024)

Status
Not open for further replies.
A very light Sunday lunch today.
Tomatoes, Avocado, Celeriac salad with chopped homegrown basil and some lemon zest

IMG_5548.jpeg
IMG_5549.jpeg

I've been in the USA for 48 hours. So far, I've had 1) sausage, poached egg and toast at 6.30am; 2) A quarterpounder with cheese & fries and 3) loaded fries with jalapeño, cheese, sauce and bacon.
Tomorrow I'm going to start with an organic lettuce and humanely raised baby kale, sun-kissed tomatoes, baby radish, dwarf cucumbers, handcrafted sourdough rolls with chia seeds, and a pepperdew and papaya seed dressing, with cold pressed Californian olive oil.

Then I'm having 2 breakfast sausage, fried mushrooms, maple smoked bacon, baked beans and hash browns... :laugh: :laugh:
Don't forget the biscuits and gravy!

Made some beef, caper and silverskin onion pickle sandwich meat.
IMG_3129.jpeg

and some chicken and chorizo sandwich meat.
IMG_3143.jpeg

No binding agents added just the pressure from the spring in the press.

42 slices of beef approx £10
38 of chicken and chorizo approx £11

Good flavours, much better than the bought stuff. Infinitely cheaper.
Very happy with it.

Have a couple more pics to post of that experiment but I'll put them on another thread later 👍

Enjoying an impromptu BBQ at the moment because for once the forecast was wrong in the right direction - it's sunny not raining! 👏

No binding agents added just the pressure from the spring in the press.
How’s it hold together when eating? This is actually something I’d be interested in having, because we both love lunchmeat, but depending on what it is, it’s generally regarded as being very bad, healthwise.

Of course, making my own ham or salami lunchmeat is probably 80% as bad as what’s from the store, considering it’s the cured aspect that seems to fall afoul with nutritionists, so it may not be worth the effort! :laugh:

How’s it hold together when eating? This is actually something I’d be interested in having, because we both love lunchmeat, but depending on what it is, it’s generally regarded as being very bad, healthwise.

Of course, making my own ham or salami lunchmeat is probably 80% as bad as what’s from the store, considering it’s the cured aspect that seems to fall afoul with nutritionists, so it may not be worth the effort! :laugh:
It held together very well, nice and solid, amazing considering there's no binding agent in there. Very little wastage (well none because I ate those little bits 😂).

According to the a canadian butcher I watched the proteins automatically want to bind which is why meat left together (for example in the fridge overnight or bought in a packet) sticks together.

I always weigh up whether the result were actually worth the effort and it this case it really was, particularly with the chicken and (preservative free) chorizo 😋

The beef had a really good flavour but I would use a higher fat content mince next time, I reckon 20% fat meat would be plenty). The fat floats off the meat to form a disc on the top you pull off so it can't fail but be better for you.

And there's only the most delicious meat jelly I've ever, ever tasted left around the meat itself.

As for the unhealthy aspect, the curing salts etc that's one of the reasons I had a go myself. You don't have to use any. It won't be bright pink but it it will taste good. Plus pork with herbs mixed around the meat pieces looks fab. Like stained glass 😂

You control the level of seasoning, herbs and spices. It's as good for you as the quality of the ingredients you choose. If it's plain chicken you want that's what you have.

I did use a meat slicer, a pathetic domestic easily overheated deli style slicer which coped with this easily and made the slices just the right thickness for sarnies, I think without one because it's so firm it might be hard to slice but the youtubers I watched managed just fine 🤷‍♀️

I'll post some pics and links on another thread 👍

ps If I knew then what I know now I'd probably buy the much larger 3kg press.
If purchasing be wary of your pan sizes relative to the press size that needs to fit inside it. Or just buy one with the outer pan included in the kit, tbh that's prolly easier and would heat faster.

If you do a youtube search for 'meat press recipes' and 'ham press recipes' and you'll see all you need to see!

Lovely veal, fried and cooked, daughter had to dash, so 30 minutes was slightly underdone, in the softness desired level of the meat, but still delicious.

Broccoli and cauliflower just boiled. Slightly undersalted, so we poured some soy sauce over.

The frozen mustard/vegan cream combination is good.

These veal slices for lunch were salted and garliced for ah 10 minutes, but the remaining 3 slices are still marinating. It will be 7 hours plus, and will give them a longer boil to become softer.

20240616_134211.jpg
20240616_141708.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom