What did you cook or eat today (May 2024)?

Status
Not open for further replies.
It was 2pm and all of a sudden, I was hungry. "Hmmm, " I thought, "I'm sure I've got some pizza dough in the freezer".
False. I'd used it all :eek:
So now I was obsessed with pizza, so I had a faceful of cashew nuts and made some fresh pizza dough. 3 hours later, pizza alla putanesca ( tomato sauce, kalamata olives, capers, hot chile peppers and anchovies:
todays pizza.jpg

It was 2pm and all of a sudden, I was hungry. "Hmmm, " I thought, "I'm sure I've got some pizza dough in the freezer".
False. I'd used it all :eek:
So now I was obsessed with pizza, so I had a faceful of cashew nuts and made some fresh pizza dough. 3 hours later, pizza alla putanesca ( tomato sauce, kalamata olives, capers, hot chile peppers and anchovies:
View attachment 114083
I'm glad I am not the only one with that sort of behaviour :)
Great looking pizza!

Yeah I didn't know whether to laugh or cry at that. I guess I would be pretty irritated. Were you close by and able to get them to fix it?
Yeah, I wasn’t irritated at all, it made me laugh. They gave me another one as soon as I showed them.

There was something going on there today. I eat at that McD’s once a week, different days of the week, anywhere between 11:30AM-12:30PM, and I’ve never seen it so crowded, and it took 15 minutes for my food to come out.

They had bags and trays lined up anywhere they could set them, almost like someone had called in a catering order, but who’d order that much food from McD’s? I like McD’s, but if my company said, “Hey, cheeseburgers on us!” I’d think, “C’mon…you can do better than that!”

Yeah, I wasn’t irritated at all, it made me laugh. They gave me another one as soon as I showed them.

There was something going on there today. I eat at that McD’s once a week, different days of the week, anywhere between 11:30AM-12:30PM, and I’ve never seen it so crowded, and it took 15 minutes for my food to come out.

They had bags and trays lined up anywhere they could set them, almost like someone had called in a catering order, but who’d order that much food from McD’s? I like McD’s, but if my company said, “Hey, cheeseburgers on us!” I’d think, “C’mon…you can do better than that!”
Amen to that. Although I was always grateful for whatever food they put out. However, I was working a big out of town project a few years back where the week before I left I was doing a lot of pizza mystery shops, like 5 in that week. So what did they decide to give us for lunch the first couple of days? Pizza. I just ate some granola bars and yogurt instead. They switched to chicken and subs the rest of the project, thankfully.

So what did they decide to give us for lunch the first couple of days? Pizza.
That was a running joke in my office at one time.

For a period of about seven years, we were “tip of the spear” for a many-millions project - heading up the purchasing decision, acceptance, customization, rollout, and initial support. As such, for that time, it was a constant turnover of high-visibility mucky-mucks coming in for corporate photo ops and things like that.

They’d always buy the team of about 30 lunch, and it was almost always pizza, just because our building was situated in an industrial park setting, and all we had nearby were a couple of fast food places and this walk-in pizza place (no seats).

There were weeks where we’d get pizza for lunch three times. We’d get pizza while there was still leftover pizza from the day before. We’d get so much pizza that some people (not me) would grab whole pies, tape the box shut, stick it in the fridge, then take it home to their kids.

A typical day:

Corporate Shiny Suit: “Hey guys, we just love what you all are doing here, all the long hours you’re putting in, and the time away from your families, we couldn’t do this without you, so…LUNCH IS ON US TODAY - PIZZA!!! How’s that grab you, everybody loves pizza, right guys?! 😃

Us: “yay…pizza…from around the corner…again…and it’s wednesday…and I’ve already worked 32 hours this week…and the other guy bought us pizza monday…which is still clogging up the fridges…yay… 😑

Suit: “Anyway, we need everybody to stay until 7PM tonight, but hey, you know what?!”

Us: “Don’t say it…”

Suit: “We’re getting enough pizza so you can have it for dinner! It’s like a big ol’ pizza party up in here! You’re welcome!…now where’s my driver so I can get back on the corporate jet? Chef is making roast lemon-tarragon chicken in white wine sauce…”

That was a running joke in my office at one time.

For a period of about seven years, we were “tip of the spear” for a many-millions project - heading up the purchasing decision, acceptance, customization, rollout, and initial support. As such, for that time, it was a constant turnover of high-visibility mucky-mucks coming in for corporate photo ops and things like that.

They’d always buy the team of about 30 lunch, and it was almost always pizza, just because our building was situated in an industrial park setting, and all we had nearby were a couple of fast food places and this walk-in pizza place (no seats).

There were weeks where we’d get pizza for lunch three times. We’d get pizza while there was still leftover pizza from the day before. We’d get so much pizza that some people (not me) would grab whole pies, tape the box shut, stick it in the fridge, then take it home to their kids.

A typical day:

Corporate Shiny Suit: “Hey guys, we just love what you all are doing here, all the long hours you’re putting in, and the time away from your families, we couldn’t do this without you, so…LUNCH IS ON US TODAY - PIZZA!!! How’s that grab you, everybody loves pizza, right guys?! 😃

Us: “yay…pizza…from around the corner…again…and it’s wednesday…and I’ve already worked 32 hours this week…and the other guy bought us pizza monday…which is still clogging up the fridges…yay… 😑

Suit: “Anyway, we need everybody to stay until 7PM tonight, but hey, you know what?!”

Us: “Don’t say it…”

Suit: “We’re getting enough pizza so you can have it for dinner! It’s like a big ol’ pizza party up in here! You’re welcome!…now where’s my driver so I can get back on the corporate jet? Chef is making roast lemon-tarragon chicken in white wine sauce…”
And I know how much you love pizza, so that must have been a serious overload...hard to recover after that, right?

There was one year I was doing a bunch of pizza mystery shops for a chain with the name "Papa" in it (one of the worst pizza chains in the entire US in my opinion) and I had never eaten one before the first one. Even when doctored up those pizzas are pretty awful, IMO. Thankfully my kids were young and living at home and if you put sauce and cheese on cardboard, for whatever unknown reason, the same kids that won't eat their broccoli will eat it. Anyway, yeah, it got to the point where I was sometimes getting exorbitant bonuses to do these pizza shops (they were mostly about photographing the pies and timing the delivery service or if a pickup, were they ready on time, etc.) and there were times I just flat out refused to do them...

There was a period of time after that I didn't even want to eat good pizza or make it at home, I was just so tired of looking at pepperoni. I finally got over it, thankfully.

This makes me crave making a pizza. I just got some 00 flour the other day but not ready to jump on it just yet. I am making chile rellenos tonight stuffed with cheese and a blend of cooked diced chicken and diced smoked turkey (my nephew did an awesome job on that smoked turkey). I think that should add a nice flavor and I need to use up that smoked turkey, so...

And I know how much you love pizza, so that must have been a serious overload...hard to recover after that, right?
The biggest problem for me was that they didn’t let people order from the menu. That pizza place also offered a good selection of main-dish salads and excellent sandwiches, and pasta dishes, but the executive assistant in the building, she had a pre-fab order that she always submitted, so it was always X number of cheese, X number of pepperoni, X number of all-vegetable, X number of all-meat…they offered three crust styles, white pizzas, etc, but she wouldn’t even vary the crust or anything like that.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom