What did you cook or eat today (October 2024)?

Made some mushrooms for mini mushroom pies - except the puff pastry didn’t turn up so this may end up on toast tomorrow evening or it might go in the freezer ready for when puff pastry fail 12001 is ready for to go!

As recommended I concentrated the flavour by removing most of the liquid. Added crème fraiche, mustard, white pepper with softened shallots and garlic and one of those concentrated white wine stock pot things which are surprisingly good.
IMG_4394.jpeg

I smoked some chicken thighs for sandwich meat in the outdoor oven.
They don’t look particularly appetising here but that’s because I always draw up the tinfoil and let them cool fully in their cooking liquid, makes them juicier later. I flavoured these one with garlic and a touch chilli honey.
IMG_4379.jpeg

At the same time I smoked some sausages for a sausage casserole.
You’ll have to imagine the sausages and the sauce combined.
Can’t believe theres only a tiny dot of it left. I had a small bowl and the rest was wolfed down by just two people!
IMG_4375.jpeg

IMG_4391.jpeg

I also sous vide some chicken for 2 3/4 hours at 61c
I’m not happy with the pink result. I'm certain it’s safe bacterially but visually it’s a no.
They are going back in for take two.

IMG_4392.jpeg

And finally a chocolate cake. The recipe is fractionally off. The rise isn’t quite enough for my liking so some minor adjustments are needed.
Tasted great though. It’s a dense cake, almost brownie like but without the stodgyness you get with a brownie, it’s lighter and more of a cake texture.
Did a cheesecake type filling which I thought was much nicer than whipped cream. I’ll keep that change.
IMG_4397.jpeg

And that was today’s kitchen time up.
Bedtime now 💤

Last edited:
I also sous vide some chicken for 2 3/4 hours at 61c
I’m not happy with the pink result. I certain it’s safe bacterially but visually it’s a no.
They are going back in for take two.
Wow, wow and wow. You were a busy bee today. You deserve a sit down with a:
1729387942331.png

Nice Baps! At least that's what we say here in Northamptonshire!

View attachment 119693

Depending on which county you are in they could be called anything from a bun to a barmcake! Throughout the UK they can change name from county to county and can also be called a batch, cob, bara, softie, muffin, bun, morning roll, stotty, oven bottom, scuffler or even a breadcake!

Some of these are generic terms for a bread roll but some like a morning roll are a specific type.

Either way the one I'm enjoying is a crusty roll 😎

And he’s looking at you with an angry look

IMG_7118.png

Hubby cooked. It's the first time we've tried Gochujang paste, so we went easy and followed a guardian newspaper recipe.

I would say hubby cooked it to the letter, but that letter didn't involve weighing things like the tofu. He failed to remember that we've changed brands and the new one is a 680g pack... so I think we can say we doubled the tofu in the recipe and given the size of Australian spring onions, we probably doubled those as well... and given we don't have light soy sauce, I'll have to find out what he used for that instead (probably tamari).

And he didn't use the brown rice syrup despite us having it! He used agave nectar instead :o_o:

20241020_181445.jpg
20241020_182616.jpg

But it was very tasty, but I love mushrooms....

Looks lovely. I like the way you very often serve things with a good gravy.

But why are your knife and fork the wrong way round? Can't be the effect of a phone photo reversing the image, 'cos the writing on ths table mats is the right way round. Are you left handed?
They're the right way around, it's everyone else who has them the wrong way around!! 🤣🤣🤣

The even odder thing is, I butter bread and carve meat with my right hand, but when I sit down to eat I have them the wrong way around and no, I'm not left handed either!

But why are your knife and fork the wrong way round? Can't be the effect of a phone photo reversing the image, 'cos the writing on ths table mats is the right way round. Are you left handed?
There's a reason I never show cutlery in my pictures. It totally depends on the meal I'm eating as to what hand I use the utensil in. Some days it's my right hand, some days it's my left. I was left handed, but as a kid was of the generation where it was thought you copying 'cure' it by forcing them to learn to write with the right hand. All that did for my writing was to make me mirror write instead.

Even now, certain letters of the alphabet will be the wrong way round if I'm tired. Mirror writing is still very easy and I can write with both hands. I tend to stick to large knives in my right hand, but small knives can be in either hand and I'm quite happy using a mouse on either side of the keyboard.

Back
Top Bottom