What did you cook or eat today (October 2024)?

Lat night
IMG_4609.JPG
IMG_4610.JPG
IMG_4532.JPG

oh my gosh!
DELICIOUS!!!
That was handmade pie crust, for sure, just as good as mine, really.
HUGE chunks of chicken white meat, nice carrots and peas, YUM.
I'll never make my own Chicken Pot Pie again!!!!
Found this at Walmart in the freezer case ... get you some!

Not strictly today, because this was Tuesday. Something odd is happening with the internet and I was only able to download the photos today... :eek:
Anyway - the Canasta group arrived and my wife always asks for something "light" to eat about 6pm.
A few years ago, I was given a recipe book called "Montaditos". Basically, montaditos are Spanish tapas, but specifically something "montado" (mounted, placed, put) on a piece of bread; a bit like a bruschetta. Maybe two or three ingredients, but all pretty simple.
You can use what ever bread you like ( and different types make the montaditos more interesting), so I used a crunchy baguette-type loaf called a "Gallego", and a sourdough bread with sunflower seeds. You can toast, grill or fry the bread lightly, just for different textures. The first thing I did was to look in the fridge/cupboard. I had some red peppers, some Manchego cheese, about 2 dozen prawns, eggs, a whole load of tiny wild tomatoes, capers, olives and some tinned tuna. the only thing I had to buy was the bread and some anchovies.
Going back to the recipe book: I'd never actually used it! So now was the time.
Montadito #1 was tuna, hardboiled egg (which I grated), roasted pepper, anchovy and prawn, with a marie-rose sauce.
Montadito #2 was prawns, roasted pepper and dill.
Montadito #3 was wild, marinated tomatoes, Manchego, olives, fried capers and anchovies, lightly grilled.
Montaditos 1.jpg
Montaditos 2.jpg

First of the ‘Field Doctor’ frozen meals tried today.
I went with the Pad Thai as I knew it would be the worse dish due to frozen brown rice noodles that are microwaved for 14 minutes (stirring half way) so no chance of them surviving in an decent state.
I was wrong, again - seems to be a theme recently 😂
It was good. As ready meals go I enjoyed it and would order it again. The noodles were perfectly cooked.

But you have to bear in mind I have very very limited experience of ready meals due to coeliacs disease.
It was so clean tasting compared to the supermarket ready meals I’ve tried and it had a good if somewhat mild flavour.
Not quite enough salt for me but a few drops of soy sauce on top and it was just right for my tastes.

IMG_0875.jpeg

Is ‘pierce film, microwave for 14 minutes stirring half way through’ ok for a soy bean recipe challenge entry? :laugh::laugh::laugh:

Tuesday's linner at Olive Garden in Phoenix, after our doctor's appointment
IMG_4606.JPG

A new item on their menu, Shrimp Carbonara.
It was okay I guess.
We don't eat at "chain" restaurants much, as we don't have many here in Cowboyville Arizona.
I could only eat a quarter of this as to not throw my stomach into an uproar.
When I reheated the leftovers for lunch today, the sauce "split" terribly.

Back
Top Bottom