What did you cook or eat today (September 2023)?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I found a pic of tex place here in the late 60s. I found a pic on net yesterday.

Russ

View attachment 104739

There is a place in Amarillo called The Big Texan. They have a 72oz (2kg) steak challenge. If you eat the whole steak, plus a baked potato, side salad and rolls in 1 hour or less, you get it free, and you get a t-shirt and your picture on their wall of fame. :laugh:

I've been there a couple of times. The steaks are actually very good. I did NOT try the 72oz challenge.

1694556410408.png

CD

I found a pic of tex place here in the late 60s. I found a pic on net yesterday.

Russ

View attachment 104739
It’s interesting how things like that stick with us. When I was a kid, there used to be a place about an hour away called Happy Chef - just a typical dime-a-dozen family-style restaurant, but they had a giant chef statue and I was fascinated by that, but we never had the money to eat out like that.

Internet tells me there’s exactly one left and still open - the very first location, in Mankato, Minnesota:

IMG_5741.jpeg

Wikipedia

Hillman imp.
Haha, that’s one of my dream cars! I’d see them occasionally in the UK and think that I’d like to have one.

It’s interesting how things like that stick with us. When I was a kid, there used to be a place about an hour away called Happy Chef - just a typical dime-a-dozen family-style restaurant, but they had a giant chef statue and I was fascinated by that, but we never had the money to eat out like that.

Internet tells me there’s exactly one left and still open - the very first location, in Mankato, Minnesota:

View attachment 104741
Wikipedia

Haha, that’s one of my dream cars! I’d see them occasionally in the UK and think that I’d like to have one.

You like small, slow cars, it seems. :D

CD

This evening's meal will be at the Michelin listed Cap Aurea. A full poncy tasting menu at a restaurant whose entrance you can only find if a member of the hotel concierge staff tells you where it is.

There will be no pictures, but expect stuff like this.

View attachment 104732
So the seven course menu ended up being 14 seperate rounds of food. The best dish was the bisque sauce served with the langoustine, the most surprising chocolates filled with jellied lamb jus.

Wow! I love that kind of meal. Many vegetables? :D

E
There is a place in Amarillo called The Big Texan. They have a 72oz (2kg) steak challenge. If you eat the whole steak, plus a baked potato, side salad and rolls in 1 hour or less, you get it free, and you get a t-shirt and your picture on their wall of fame. :laugh:

I've been there a couple of times. The steaks are actually very good. I did NOT try the 72oz challenge.

View attachment 104742

CD
Everything is BIGGER in texas. I had a horse trainer that could prolly do that steak.. when he walked into all you can eat places, the owners of the joints quite visibly cringed. :)

Russ

View attachment 104741
Wikipedia

Engine in the back. Mechanic nightmare.

Yeah I remember coz we never had money. Grandparents would drove us past there on the way home. I used to drool at the things that were In there.
My bestie at 13 ate there a the time. His dad had "money" .

Russ

View attachment 104742

CD
Adam Richman destroyed that challenge.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom