What did you cook or eat today (September 2023)?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Did a quick "hash" kinda thing. Shredded some potatoes and onions, added some sausage and cheddar topped with eggs.
1000002404.jpg

Yesterday I got some slipper lobsters and made a chilli dish with them - similar to Singapore chili crab but I pre-fried the meat in a cornflour coating before dousing it in the sauce:

Whenever we were lucky enough to catch a slipper or shovel nose lobster, we'd bring it home and sauté it in butter. They have such a sweet and delicate flavor, but were few and far between, and were usually caught on night dives, so were quite a treat.

The best part of this style of nachos is that there is the same amount of meat and cheese on every single chip. It is not hit or miss, with some chips being loaded, and some having nothing.That's the scatter and dump style that you find in most restaurants that have no historical background on nachos. Every bite of these had a crisp tortilla chip, a good bite of meat, and cheese. Sour cream, diced tomatoes, sliced pickled jalapeños and guacamole on the side to add as you please.

Tonights nachos were our meal, not an appetizer. They are awesome, but I don't even want to know how much sodium was in that meal. :eek:

CD
I much prefer individual nachos and usually make nachos in that style at home, as very, very few restaurants do that here. Sometimes though, the scatter and dump method is easy and quick.

Whenever we were lucky enough to catch a slipper or shovel nose lobster, we'd bring it home and sauté it in butter. They have such a sweet and delicate flavor, but were few and far between, and were usually caught on night dives, so were quite a treat.

I really like them - the fishmonger cuts them in half which makes them super easy to clean and deshell, and there's a much higher yield of meat to shell ratio than with crabs (although I do prefer the taste of fresh crab meat overall but it's much more expensive).

img_3218-jpeg.jpg

Fried Chicken Fillets with French Fries.

In related news, I've stopped tracking on Weight Watchers. I'm expecting to be able to maintain my normal eating habits - I've been about the same weight for the last few years on WW - but I can always go back if my waistband starts to get too tight.

I made chili tonight. Ground beef, onion, orange bell pepper, my house blend AP seasoning, cumin, chili powder, Trader Joe's smoked paprika & hot chilies, McCormick chili seasoning, crushed tomatoes, and red kidney beans. Served over brown rice and topped with parmigiano reggiano & pecorino romano cheeses. Sometimes I top it with shredded cheddar, sour cream, and scallions.

chili_092223_1_img_1626-jpg.jpg

I made chili tonight. Ground beef, onion, orange bell pepper, my house blend AP seasoning, cumin, chili powder, Trader Joe's smoked paprika & hot chilies, McCormick chili seasoning, crushed tomatoes, and red kidney beans. Served over brown rice and topped with parmigiano reggiano & pecorino romano cheeses. Sometimes I top it with shredded cheddar, sour cream, and scallions.

View attachment 105099
Sounds awesome. I have never ever thought to put chili over rice. 🤦🏻‍♂️ It seems so simple.

View attachment 105099

That's a New Jersey chili, but that's okay. The only thing that would get you in trouble in Texas is the kidney beans. Pinto beans are acceptable down here nowadays, as are diced tomatoes -- not original, but Texans are okay with them now. The Italian cheeses are something I've not seen done before -- seems like it would work just fine. Rice is very common with chili in Southeast Texas.

All in all, I'll give you a Texan :okay:.

BTW, I made a little bit of Jersey for my 89-year-old mom today. Pork roll and white American cheese sandwiches on hamburger buns. She was sooooo happy. She kept saying, "I haven't had pork roll in years!" She ate every bite -- didn't give even a pinch of it to her dog. :laugh:

CD

That's a New Jersey chili, but that's okay. The only thing that would get you in trouble in Texas is the kidney beans. Pinto beans are acceptable down here nowadays, as are diced tomatoes -- not original, but Texans are okay with them now. The Italian cheeses are something I've not seen done before -- seems like it would work just fine. Rice is very common with chili in Southeast Texas.

All in all, I'll give you a Texan :okay:.

BTW, I made a little bit of Jersey for my 89-year-old mom today. Pork roll and white American cheese sandwiches on hamburger buns. She was sooooo happy. She kept saying, "I haven't had pork roll in years!" She ate every bite -- didn't give even a pinch of it to her dog. :laugh:

CD
Mom didn't always have cheddar cheese. BUT there was ALWAYS Italian cheese.

Sounds awesome. I have never ever thought to put chili over rice. 🤦🏻‍♂️ It seems so simple.

That is common in Southeast Texas. Back in Port Arthur, seems like everyone ate chili on rice, which is a very big cash crop in that part of Texas. Up here in North Texas, serving it on top of some good crumbled cornbread is popular. That how I like it.

CD

That is common in Southeast Texas. Back in Port Arthur, seems like everyone ate chili on rice, which is a very big cash crop in that part of Texas. Up here in North Texas, serving it on top of some good crumbled cornbread is popular. That how I like it.

CD
Now Cornbread, that's how I do it. So I guess I belong in northern Texas then.

That's also how it's served here in Portugal. Truth being told I only ever ate chili in school where it's basically a dish of beans over rice and the amount of ground beef was so small I swear it wasn't even there at all. Even the rice was served in such a small portion it was barely there.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom