What produce/ingredients did you buy or obtain today (2023)?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Some farm shop purchases:

IMG_5471.jpeg

Those are miscellaneous apples of varieties that aren’t easily found at home, along with some mixed plums.

Ok, I know I’ll miss something, and it’s packed away for the long ride home tomorrow, but today was farmers’ market day for us. We bought:

Four or five tomatoes
A melon
Garlic
Several varieties of cheese
Olive loaf
More potato chips/crisps
A cabbage
Six ears of corn
More peaches
More sausages (apple-maple & garlic-provolone)
Tastykakes snack cakes (some for me, some not for me)
Strawberries

Ah, I think I heard something about that. I have a big bottle of it in the fridge, so I haven't had to buy any for quite a while.

CD

I just watched a video from CNBC on the Huy Fong Foods sriracha (rooster sauce) shortage. Very interesting story. It looks like David Tran, owner of Huy Fong Foods, may have shot himself in the foot. He lost his supplier, and over $20-million. To me, it looks like he got greedy.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EYdU1X2p2ro

CD

Ok, I know I’ll miss something, and it’s packed away for the long ride home tomorrow, but today was farmers’ market day for us. We bought:

Four or five tomatoes
A melon
Garlic
Several varieties of cheese
Olive loaf
More potato chips/crisps
A cabbage
Six ears of corn
More peaches
More sausages (apple-maple & garlic-provolone)
Tastykakes snack cakes (some for me, some not for me)
Strawberries

Gosh! You seems to buy a huge amount of food considering there are only two of you and MrsT is (was?) Weight Watching (I'm clocking up all the other posts you made here, about what you bought). The amount of potato chips (crisps) is phasing me.

Gosh! You seems to buy a huge amount of food considering there are only two of you and MrsT is (was?) Weight Watching (I'm clocking up all the other posts you made here, about what you bought). The amount of potato chips (crisps) is phasing me.
The non-fruits-and-vegetables will be rationed judiciously over the coming months - most of that cheese will go in the freezer for now.

Well I just learned something!

In the dead of winter, on a below 32F/0C night, I like to cold smoke cheeses. I uses wood pellets in a smoke tube on one of my grills. In the past, I actually used wood chips and a soldering iron. No significant heat, just smoke. The cheese says cool, while the smoke penetrates the cheese. It doesn't take long.

After I cold smoke a bunch of cheese, I vacuum seal most of it and freeze it for later in the year.

I'll have to look though my archives to see if I can find some photos.

CD

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom