What produce/ingredients did you buy or obtain today (2024)?

No purchases today . At all. The mechanic came to take my car at 7.30am, and I was blowed if I was going to walk a km uphill, in the blazing sun, just for 200 gms of butter!

For all you pickle heads out there:
Cool! I could probably work my way through half of that in the next year or so..
I was curious about the chow-chow. I've seen it over here, but as mustard pickle. I've seen rascal eating ham and chow sammies ( which I assume was mustard pickle. However, the chow chow in the photo looks remarkably lacking in mustard, so what is it, exactly?

However, the chow chow in the photo looks remarkably lacking in mustard, so what is it, exactly?
There are almost as many recipes for chow chow as there are people who make it. As I’m out and about, I’ll get some pics for you of the ingredients.

Here’s one for you, karadekoolaid :

IMG_9092.jpeg

Things I didn’t buy, but encountered today, so I thought I’d share:

IMG_9097.jpeg

Haven’t seen the term “cushion meat” in quite a long time.

IMG_9105.jpeg

Nope, not for me!

IMG_9106.jpeg

Hmmm…

IMG_9110.jpeg

Nope, also not for me!

IMG_9111.jpeg

Yes, very much for me!

It was also one of the specials at breakfast!

Ah - in which case that is what I'd choose. I didn't really like anything else listed on the menu you posted - but in general I'm wary of US breakfasts. I would usually choose eggs from a breakfast menu (or kippers or haddock if available) but I know the tendency for American eggs to be overcooked.

Ah - in which case that is what I'd choose. I didn't really like anything else listed on the menu you posted - but in general I'm wary of US breakfasts. I would usually choose eggs from a breakfast menu (or kippers or haddock if available) but I know the tendency for American eggs to be overcooked.
MrsT’s egg was lovely and runny yesterday. You just have to know how to order them - even scrambled.

Just back from the shop, although the main reason was to go and get petrol for my waterpump and gas for cooking.
Anyway,
On top of that
1 bag mielie meal (for staff)
5 ltr cooking oil (for staff)
2 kg bones (for dogs)
3 x 5 kg rice as it was on special (for dogs)
Yoghurt
Apples
Soy sauce

Back
Top Bottom